Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

I feel like people have been mentioning Marco for a long time. Is he actually a good coach? I know very little of him, coaching-wise but it all kinda makes sense.

Hiring Marco Sturm would immediately undo every bad thing Grier has done as Sharks GM so far. You won't find another perfect HC candidate. This needs to happen.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Hiring Marco Sturm would immediately undo every bad thing Grier has done as Sharks GM so far. You won't find another perfect HC candidate. This needs to happen.
How is he a perfect candidate? Given his inexperience, it seems like it would be a bit of a "diamond-in-the-rough" hiring...

Reactions: Shark Finn

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Can’t wait till Grier trades for Mark Stone to help Vegas get under the cap 😂

I don’t think Sturm is that stupid

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
How is he a perfect candidate? Given his inexperience, it seems like it would be a bit of a "diamond-in-the-rough" hiring...
Perfect might be a far stretch, but inexperience is also only true for coaching at the NHL level.
He had incredible success as HC with the German national team. He then spent 4 years as assistant coach at LA's AHL team followed by 2 years as HC.
I don't follow LA, but from what I could find there AHL team finally made it out of the first round and Sturm is getting credit for the team's good recent play leading into the play offs.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

3+ seasons as NHL assistant and 2 as AHL HC?

That's inexperienced?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Anyone know about Olofsson as a likely/unlikely Grier reclamation project?

EDIT: it's a maybe, but he's kind of undersized (5'11" and 183, Eklund's size). Would potentially be a Hoffman or Labanc-style upgrade, but not like that moves the needle very much. Pickups like Kostin and Zadina are more in Grier's style - players with skill upside but also learning how to play a complete game, "hard to play against."
He’s basically Labanc. I highly doubt he’s even on Grier’s radar.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Not interested in adding more empty calorie skill at this point. No more Labancs, Hoffmans or Barabanovs.

UFA forwards who seem intriguing: Marchessault, Foegele, Joshua, Heinen, Martinook, Carrier, Lafferty, Blackwell, Blueger, Okposo, Duhaime, Trenin, Robinson, Lorentz

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Not interested in adding more empty calorie skill at this point. No more Labancs, Hoffmans or Barabanovs.

UFA forwards who seem intriguing: Marchessault, Foegele, Joshua, Heinen, Martinook, Carrier, Lafferty, Blackwell, Blueger, Okposo, Duhaime, Trenin, Robinson, Lorentz
No, If somehow Vegas winds up with Hertl and the Sharks wind up with Marchessault... f***! just NO!!

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Marchessault might be able to teach our smaller players how not to get pushed around. For a little guy, he plays with a lot of intensity and snarl. Could be useful.
He plays bigger than he is because the team around him plays with some snarl. We need to start with adding the big guys who can help our team win the physical battle in front of both nets and on the boards so our young skilled guys aren’t coming into a team that’s getting pushed around.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
He whines too much for my tastes. I can’t see him being a leader.
It's like he's been emboldened by playing for a team/in front of a fan base that's been allowed to be entitled for years.

Imagine trying that attitude with the Sharks!

Reactions: DG93

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
WRT Marchessault, depends on how hungry he is for another Cup vs how much he wants to give back to sport and can he stomach California taxes after 7 years in no tax state.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I’d be good with an overpayment of Marchessault but I think we’re another year away from enticing any free agents to come be part of an exciting young core.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’d be good with an overpayment of Marchessault but I think we’re another year away from enticing any free agents to come be part of an exciting young core.
I would need to know the numbers because I don’t want to pay Marchessault Marner-like money for a winger.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
In what world is Marchessault getting 11 million dollars a year...
In the world where we’re pretending like we’d be the one a top end free agent would sign. We’d need to significantly overpay someone to get them to seriously consider us.

• Wow
Reactions: DG93

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad