Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I've shower thoughts'd two blockbuster trades that benefit the Sharks, Penguins, and Leafs.

In both, the real trade is Marner for Karlsson, but to help make the money work for Pitt the Sharks get involved. In both scenarios they free up a retention slot by taking back Karlsson, then use that retention slot to launder Marner.

In the second scenario, Toronto frees up more room by dumping Tavares for Vlasic and Benning

To TOR:
Erik Karlsson

To PIT:
Mitch Marner

To SJS
Both players laundered. SJS doesnt retain on Karlsson, but retains on Marner.
Pick (based on retention value)

or

To TOR:
Erik Karlsson
Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Matt Benning

To PIT:
Mitch Marner

To SJS
John Tavares

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I've shower thoughts'd two blockbuster trades that benefit the Sharks, Penguins, and Leafs.

In both, the real trade is Marner for Karlsson, but to help make the money work for Pitt the Sharks get involved. In both scenarios they free up a retention slot by taking back Karlsson, then use that retention slot to launder Marner.

In the second scenario, Toronto frees up more room by dumping Tavares for Vlasic and Benning

To TOR:
Erik Karlsson

To PIT:
Mitch Marner

To SJS

or

To TOR:
Erik Karlsson
Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Matt Benning

To PIT:
Mitch Marner

To SJS
John Tavares
Sharks don’t have any retention slots.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I have no proof of this, but I feel like the NHL would not be down for this.
Nosey NHL.

I can't think of any precedents, but maybe you're right.

Either way, i thought Karl for Marner made sense, and the Sharks could naturally sneak in (if that is allowed).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Nosey NHL.

I can't think of any precedents, but maybe you're right.

Either way, i thought Karl for Marner made sense, and the Sharks could naturally sneak in (if that is allowed).
Props for thinking creatively! I just feel like there must be some obscure rule where you can’t re-acquire a player you’ve previously retained on if the same contract is active and then flip them with no retention. But hey, just a gut feeling based on the general nonsensical nature of NHL rules in general.

• Haha
Reactions: landshark

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021
Props for thinking creatively! I just feel like there must be some obscure rule where you can’t re-acquire a player you’ve previously retained on if the same contract is active and then flip them with no retention. But hey, just a gut feeling based on the general nonsensical nature of NHL rules in general.

From CapFriendly:

Once a retained salary transaction has occurred, there are various limitations, such as:
  • A team cannot reacquire a player whom they have retained salary from for a minimum of one year after the date of the transaction, or unless the player's contract expires or is terminated prior to the one-year date.

Nothing about revoking a prior retention.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

Sounds very early front office Wilson-esque.

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
Gary Bettman after this trade: "I am pleased saddened to announce that the San Jose Sharks have forfeited their first pick due to a retention slot circumvention rule that we just made up, the Chicago Blackhawks will now pick first overall. Also, their 14th selection will go to Utah for some reason."

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I know this isn't exactly the right place to ask this (I don't want to start a whole thread just for it) but this last season I was trying to find a way to watch the Sharks again and had no success, and going into this season I'd really like to and I'm not sure what options I have (In Reno, NV). It appears that Spectrum only shows Vegas games (Mother-in-law has Spectrum and does not get Sharks games anymore), and NHL tv (or whatever it's called now) still blocks out Sharks games in Reno for some idiotic reason. Aside from VPN's does anyone know a legit way to watch the Sharks at this point in Reno?

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I know this isn't exactly the right place to ask this (I don't want to start a whole thread just for it) but this last season I was trying to find a way to watch the Sharks again and had no success, and going into this season I'd really like to and I'm not sure what options I have (In Reno, NV). It appears that Spectrum only shows Vegas games (Mother-in-law has Spectrum and does not get Sharks games anymore), and NHL tv (or whatever it's called now) still blocks out Sharks games in Reno for some idiotic reason. Aside from VPN's does anyone know a legit way to watch the Sharks at this point in Reno?

I’m in LA and I just subscribe to ESPN. It’s not amazing but it’s pretty good. Your local games will be blacked out but otherwise it does the job. My chief complaints are sometimes the app is buggy and I’ve also accidentally ruined the score for myself because it’ll show it front page on… one of the versions of the app (not remembering which) that I seem to be unable to turn off.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Would ESPN+ still block games in Reno? I don’t really know if it would or not but you can check that. I cut cable and use the Hulu with live TV package that has ESPN+ and Disney+. ESPN+ has almost every single NHL game but there still are regional blackouts I believe.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm probably the only one, but I would not mind just getting Karlsson back full-stop. He's a high-end puck-moving defenseman, and the Sharks could probably get assets for taking his contract.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

I hate to say it, but I think you are SOL in terms of legal options. My understanding is that Reno is still in "NBC Sports California" and Sharks territory, even after the VGK expansion. Thus, if Spectrum in Reno decided to stop carrying NBC Sports California, that's simply their choice and that won't change blackout rules.

If I were you and focused on legal options, I'd try to confirm first hand (From a dish/directv/directv stream customer in Reno) that they get/able to get NBC Sports California, and consider going that route.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I hate to say it, but I think you are SOL in terms of legal options. My understanding is that Reno is still in "NBC Sports California" and Sharks territory, even after the VGK expansion. Thus, if Spectrum in Reno decided to stop carrying NBC Sports California, that's simply their choice and that won't change blackout rules.

If I were you and focused on legal options, I'd try to confirm first hand (From a dish/directv/directv stream customer in Reno) that they get/able to get NBC Sports California, and consider going that route.
Thanks Chomp, that's kind of what It seems like. ESPN does blackout Sharks here (at least last year) and it seems like NBC Sports California is not available at least on Spectrum. Really frustrating :\

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So we’ve brought up Pageau a couple times here. His contract is 5M for 2 more years (through 25-26). What do would the deal look like? Is there a Pageau and a pick for FC or is it more Pageau for a 5th?

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Would ESPN+ still block games in Reno? I don’t really know if it would or not but you can check that. I cut cable and use the Hulu with live TV package that has ESPN+ and Disney+. ESPN+ has almost every single NHL game but there still are regional blackouts I believe.

I’m ESPN+ and VPN. It’s less than ideal, as 1 in 10-15 games I simply cannot get to load, and then if I’m not starting the game live I have to do the whole “open the app, only stare at the bottom nav bar, quickly click the ESPN+ tab, keeps eyes on bottom half of screen, quickly scroll to leagues and click NHL, then find the Sharks game and start it, and once the video loads try to not look at the upper left until I have scrobbled the timeline back to the beginning, then scrobble scrobble until I find the opening face off” dance. Two seasons in now, and I’m pretty good at loading a game without spoiling the score :laugh:

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Thanks Chomp, that's kind of what It seems like. ESPN does blackout Sharks here (at least last year) and it seems like NBC Sports California is not available at least on Spectrum. Really frustrating :\
Not sure why VPN/ESPN+ combo isn't doable for you. It's perfectly legal.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Not sure why VPN/ESPN+ combo isn't doable for you. It's perfectly legal.
jMoneybrah kind of described one of the big issues with it, but it's just problematic and I have anxiety disorder and I get frustrated fighting with it then I just don't want to deal with it so I avoid it. Last time I did it a few years ago I just could not get the game to play for the freaking life of me, either it wouldn't load, it'd give me the blackout error, or the game just wasn't even listed in the dumb app to open. Plus I have to remember to turn off the VPN on that device or my wife will get all upset that something else isn't working the way she expects, and if I setup of the VPN on my router obviously that causes other issues.

I did finally setup a pfsense router with a special rule that enabled VPN ONLY for traffic to ESPN/NHL but then AT&T changes something and my private router stopped working and I had to switch back to their crap router... you get the point, it's just a massive, massive, stupid, hassle.

I really appreciate everyone's help though :)

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
jMoneybrah kind of described one of the big issues with it, but it's just problematic and I have anxiety disorder and I get frustrated fighting with it then I just don't want to deal with it so I avoid it. Last time I did it a few years ago I just could not get the game to play for the freaking life of me, either it wouldn't load, it'd give me the blackout error, or the game just wasn't even listed in the dumb app to open. Plus I have to remember to turn off the VPN on that device or my wife will get all upset that something else isn't working the way she expects, and if I setup of the VPN on my router obviously that causes other issues.

I did finally setup a pfsense router with a special rule that enabled VPN ONLY for traffic to ESPN/NHL but then AT&T changes something and my private router stopped working and I had to switch back to their crap router... you get the point, it's just a massive, massive, stupid, hassle.

I have a suggestion for a device that can provide access to games for about $10/ month. I’ve been using it for a few years and it works pretty well. DM me if you want details.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

Oh yeah. I didn’t even get into that I have two VPN services (Nord and ExpressVPN) because ESPN/Hulu/Disney play wack-a-mole with the VPN IP addresses so having two options is helpful Frankly, this is not so bad in the overall scheme, I usually just make sure to pick a VPN that’s not gonna be not in California or the state of the opposing team and 80% of the time that works every time.

But really it’s just dumb that the NHL has blackout rules for streaming. They should just allow local streams to stream their own advertising to any users from that region. Everyone wins. I’ll pay for ESPN+, NHL gets my viewership, local channel gets to sell ad slots for local users, Disney gets to sell ad slots for everyone else.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I wonder if some other service like directv or Fubu carries the NBC Sports networks and if so you could watch since you’re considered local. But no guarantees, I suppose, as I still encountered similar issues when trying to watch Penguins games when I lived in NE Ohio.

You also could try the old school Center Ice package as they don’t always black out local games. But you also don’t always get to choose the broadcast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad