Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Any team with prospects and picks can proceed the way Vegas did, whether it’s smart or not is a different story. Vegas didn’t necessarily have “expendable” assets as they had absolutely no farm system going into year one. They still don’t. But they chose to be aggressive and it’s worked out for them. There’s, what, three players left over from that inaugural season?
If you mean that any team can trade picks and prospects, sure, of course, any team can make any trade they want, there's no Stepien rule in hockey

But what we can't do is become competitive by doing so, if you trade future assets to add players who are good now you do so to supplement a good team, you don't add prime aged players who are ready to win now to a team with no foundation ready

That's why Vegas' future assets are expendable, they're not relying on the promise of their young players' development to become competitive, they're competitive right now, so they trade the future to improve their chances of winning now

We have no "right now", right now we're dog shit, if we trade the future to improve the team right now we'll be slightly less stinky dog shit and the future will be even stinkier dog shit, that's why our assets are not expendable, we are relying on them to improve the team

We used to be in Vegas' position in our competitive years, that's why we traded draft picks for good players like Burns and Karlsson, but right now we could trade for a 26 year old Brent Burns and our team would still be terrible and we'd be out a 1st round pick, we are not in the position to make those kind of moves

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
To be successful you need talent, chemistry, team pride and some luck. Vegas at their first year didn't have amazing talent but they had a lot of chemistry and team pride.

Sharks org needs to get better talent, but they also need to work on chemistry and find that team pride, somehow someday hopefully soon.
I have a big faith in that Eklund is putting on the first steps towards having a pride putting on that Sharks jersey and showing others the way. I trust in MG with all that he is doing, I believe that soon we'll be a better team with how fast he is working on the talent pool. Ultimately it starts with something we can't really discuss or measure here = it's inside the room.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If you mean that any team can trade picks and prospects, sure, of course, any team can make any trade they want, there's no Stepien rule in hockey

But what we can't do is become competitive by doing so, if you trade future assets to add players who are good now you do so to supplement a good team, you don't add prime aged players who are ready to win now to a team with no foundation ready

That's why Vegas' future assets are expendable, they're not relying on the promise of their young players' development to become competitive, they're competitive right now, so they trade the future to improve their chances of winning now

We have no "right now", right now we're dog shit, if we trade the future to improve the team right now we'll be slightly less stinky dog shit and the future will be even stinkier dog shit, that's why our assets are not expendable, we are relying on them to improve the team

We used to be in Vegas' position in our competitive years, that's why we traded draft picks for good players like Burns and Karlsson, but right now we could trade for a 26 year old Brent Burns and our team would still be terrible and we'd be out a 1st round pick, we are not in the position to make those kind of moves
I agree with that. If we went balls to wall after drafting Celebrini we could be playoff contenders but that’s the best we could hope for. It ain’t worth it. Sign Stammer and Pesce and trade for another D-man. It’s possible but no doubt unadvisable.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'm calling bullshit on the idea that a team with this defense should be "miles better" than 30th place:

View attachment 849919

Zegras stinks. The core they're actually building around is Carlsson, McTavish, Gauthier and Mintyukov, all of whom are 18-21 years old. By the time those guys are in their primes the Ducks will likely add some top 4 defensemen and emerge as a force.
You're forgetting the aforementioned Mintyukov in that defense. Lacombe was a high 2nd rounder a few years back and was highly touted coming in after finishing his time with Minnesota at the NCAA level. Urho was the main player piece in the trade of Lindholm and was also a mid-first round.
pick. It's a decent enough group and should be enough for John Gibson if he gave a damn.

My point is we're chucking out Kyle Burroughs, the ghosts of Vlasic and Ruuta and Calen "Thug Life" Addison.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You're forgetting the aforementioned Mintyukov in that defense. Lacombe was a high 2nd rounder a few years back and was highly touted coming in after finishing his time with Minnesota at the NCAA level. Urho was the main player piece in the trade of Lindholm and was also a mid-first round.
pick. It's a decent enough group and should be enough for John Gibson if he gave a damn.

My point is we're chucking out Kyle Burroughs, the ghosts of Vlasic and Ruuta and Calen "Thug Life" Addison.
How is any of that information about Lacombe or Vaakanainen relevant to the fact that they're terrible NHL defensemen? Even with Mintyukov the Ducks defense is on par with ours at best. Gibson hasn't been good in five years.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
How is any of that information about Lacombe or Vaakanainen relevant to the fact that they're terrible NHL defensemen? Even with Mintyukov the Ducks defense is on par with ours at best. Gibson hasn't been good in five years.
Well, obviously Anaheim seems to disagree as they were willing to dump Drysdale.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Well, obviously Anaheim seems to disagree as they were willing to dump Drysdale.
What does trading damaged goods Drysdale for one of the best prospects in the world have to do with the state of Anaheim's defense?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
What does trading damaged goods Drysdale for one of the best prospects in the world have to do with the state of Anaheim's defense?
I can literally say anything and you'll find a way to twist it, but here goes...

Philly obviously didn't seem to think he was THAT damaged if that's what they wanted for one of the best prospects in the world (along with the second next year).

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I can literally say anything and you'll find a way to twist it, but here goes...

Philly obviously didn't seem to think he was THAT damaged if that's what they wanted for one of the best prospects in the world (along with the second next year).
I'm not twisting anything, you're just ignoring heaps of context.

Philly was backed into a corner with the Gauthier trade and probably weren't going to get a better offer. That doesn't mean Drysdale - fresh off a minus-6 performance against Montreal the other night - is a good defenseman.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I meant guys like Addison and Zadina and Kostin. More the FA pickups or buy low trade guys. I don’t mind the thought process.
I like this too... I hope this is by design. Bring in guys who arent kids anymore, see which of them can be middle roster players so that when the top end draft picks start playing they will all be in their physical prime age.

Plus adding these player instead of 30 year vets seems to piss Pierre off which is a nice bonus

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This off-season should have a lot of changes to the roster. Hopefully Smith wants to sign after Saturday. Hopefully they get some luck in the draft lottery and get Celebrini. Get some vets on their wings, bring back the Lundy line, and get rid of everyone on the blue line except for Thrun and maybe Emberson.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Anyone we can pick off the carcass of the Coyotes? I'm sure most of those guys don't want to move to Mormon country.
Would love to take couple players for the right price. Durzi, JJ Moser? Cooley and Keller are probably not very cheap.

Reactions: Hodge

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Anyone we can pick off the carcass of the Coyotes? I'm sure most of those guys don't want to move to Mormon country.

I've been hearing good things about Utah recently. Been in Colorado and Georgia with the Military past few years and everyone I met spoke very highly of Utah. Supposedly the Mormon thing isn't as in your face as you'd think.

Even then, given where we are in the rebuild, the only guy I would want is probably Shea Weber. I don't give a shit if he stays on LTIR. Just someone to work with the young guys and set the culture. An old hand to keep them honest, help them take their game to the next level, and help them deal with the 82-game grind. That's what we need right now. Dudes to build culture and hold people accountable.

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
Do we expect Mukh to be on the big club next year full time? Don't expect him to turn into a franchise D-man or anything, but would be nice to root for and follow someone on the back end like we did with Eklund this year.

Give me one other thing to want to check out other than "What did Eklund do?" when I pull up box scores of games I miss.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
I'd give up Pitts 1st and Ferraro to the Yotes if Guenther was one of those demanding out

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Please, I just got back to enjoying your posts. I live there, not Mormon. It's awesome and I will never move back to the Bay Area even though I do miss it. Unless you hate being outside in which case it sucks. Utah is awesome once you get used to some of the quirkiness

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Please, I just got back to enjoying your posts. I live there, not Mormon. It's awesome and I will never move back to the Bay Area even though I do miss it. Unless you hate being outside in which case it sucks. Utah is awesome once you get used to some of the quirkiness
Never visited but I'll take your word for it. Still can't see many young players without ties to the area agreeing to move there but it's not entirely up to them either.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Never visited but I'll take your word for it. Still can't see many young players without ties to the area agreeing to move there but it's not entirely up to them either.
I actually think players would like it if they gave it a chance. Might not be for everyone but between Salt Lake City and Park City it's pretty great. I can't imagine these guys are partying all the time during the season anyways. This entire saga has turned me into a Utah brand ambassador here....lots of opinions about a place no one has ever visited

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I actually think players would like it if they gave it a chance. Might not be for everyone but between Salt Lake City and Park City it's pretty great. I can't imagine these guys are partying all the time during the season anyways. This entire saga has turned me into a Utah brand ambassador here....lots of opinions about a place no one has ever visited
You probably would be surprised that it is a more common thing then you would think for professionals at the top of there game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad