Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I’m happy to have Eklund in teal. He’s done more with less here. No, he’s no Bedard but I think he’s the real deal. He plays well above his linemates. Where he is in the lineup is too difficult to say until we have a better team around him.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Eklund is so smart and so hard-working, i expect a 60/70 pt high-end second line winger who will raise his game in the playoffs and be an incredibly annoying guy to play against, thanks to his defensive abilities.

I want him to keep working on his shot, his skating and his strength, but I think he’s a key cog to the future of this team and we’re really going to see him grow into his own as he gets older and gets more talent around him.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Who is Pierre McGuire and why should I care about his opinion?
Former NBC broadcaster. Former GM. Recognizable. Pretty much a has been at this moment. Trying to be relevant.

If anything making the comment he made about Sharks to provide reaction and to have a "see I was right" moment every year the Sharks aren't contending. (Guessing he got burned too many times picking them to succeed in playoffs.)

He has NOT provided reasons why in the quoted clip, just the sound bite.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Not that Jake Allen or the Kahk are world beaters, but I just want to say that the Devils cant keep the puck out of their net regardless of who plays goalie. If Blackwood can play well once leaving the Devils and coming here, I will be optimistic about Vanacek

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It should be mentioned that Eklund is still very young. It's plausible that he takes another step, if not two, in his game...that's what happened to Couture and Pavelski.

I think he’s going to be a great second line winger no matter what. I think there’s a very small world where he becomes a 1st line star playmaker winger with a few 80+ pt seasons but a lot of things have to go right.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think Eklund can make a fine top line winger or 2C. If the Sharks get Celebrini and have him and Eklund as your 1-2 punch, I’m confident that they can be built around. Smith and Eklund could be solid 2C’s and I think either can shift well to wing if one outplays the other at center.

After getting Celebrini, the focus should be on getting a cornerstone defenseman.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think he’s going to be a great second line winger no matter what. I think there’s a very small world where he becomes a 1st line star playmaker winger with a few 80+ pt seasons but a lot of things have to go right.
There's also some stuff in-between those two levels...he could become a great 2nd line center, a borderline first-line winger, etc.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
There's also some stuff in-between those two levels...he could become a great 2nd line center, a borderline first-line winger, etc.
It's tough because he seems like someone who could really blossom and come into his own offensively if he gets minutes with more high-end talent. Some of the creativity he's displayed seems like it could lead to some nice results on the power play, and if that's the case you could see him having years around a PPG, whether he's playing on the first or second line.

I might be a bit high on him, but I love his combination of work ethic and smarts/creativity. He needs to get a chance playing with more skilled linemates, though. I wish he'd get a chance at 5v5 with Zetterlund. Those two feel like they could have some nice chemistry (just swap Eklund in for Granlund now--what's there to lose with a dozen games to go in a season like this?).

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It's tough because he seems like someone who could really blossom and come into his own offensively if he gets minutes with more high-end talent. Some of the creativity he's displayed seems like it could lead to some nice results on the power play, and if that's the case you could see him having years around a PPG, whether he's playing on the first or second line.

I might be a bit high on him, but I love his combination of work ethic and smarts/creativity. He needs to get a chance playing with more skilled linemates, though. I wish he'd get a chance at 5v5 with Zetterlund. Those two feel like they could have some nice chemistry (just swap Eklund in for Granlund now--what's there to lose with a dozen games to go in a season like this?).

I agree. I think he really needs a high end sniper on his line and he’ll take off. The only two Sharks I can think of who made magical passes like him are Joe and Karlsson. But he needs someone who can put them in.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think Eklund will be a high-end 2nd line winger who plays excellent defense, can sub at center in case of injury, and plays first unit on both special teams. I think his high end could be someone like Clayton Keller or Mats Zuccarello, though I don’t think he has quite that much scoring potential. I think he could hit 70 points with the right center.

Personally, I see him as core. His game is so detailed, especially for a 21 year old in his first NHL season, and his attitude and work ethic seem really good.
Zuccarello was the first name that came to my mind.

I think Eklund can make a fine top line winger or 2C. If the Sharks get Celebrini and have him and Eklund as your 1-2 punch, I’m confident that they can be built around. Smith and Eklund could be solid 2C’s and I think either can shift well to wing if one outplays the other at center.

After getting Celebrini, the focus should be on getting a cornerstone defenseman.
I actually think Eklund would make a great winger for Celebrini and then having Celebrini-Smith as your one two punch would be great.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
My buddies make fun of me because Zucc is my go to guy when trying to say high end second liner but low end first liner. I actually think Eklund would make a fantastic winger with his all around and playmaking game for Edstrom or Bystedt.
Zuccarello is somehow still underrated despite how good he is IMO. Fun player to watch.

I feel like Eklund is one of those players who is going to have chemistry with everyone he plays with because he is highly skilled but also has the grindy aspects to his game where he can be the dirty work guy on his line. Not afraid to be on the boards and always the first guy back on defense too. I’d imagine he’s an easy guy to play with for all those reasons.

He could definitely be the driver on a line with Bystedt and/or Edstrom (boy is it nice to have both of those guys in the system). He could be the Perreault to Will Smith. He could be the complementary support wing to Celebrini. I really think a lot of Eklund’s value is his versatility and ability to complement lots of different types of centers.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I agree. I think he really needs a high end sniper on his line and he’ll take off. The only two Sharks I can think of who made magical passes like him are Joe and Karlsson. But he needs someone who can put them in.
well the magical thing about Jumbo and Karl was that any warm body was good enough to put home passes lol. Look at a nobodies like Melker Karlsson or Marcus Sorensen with Joe, or even last year with Karl and Lorentz and Sturm and Barabanov.

If we want to vault Eklund to their status, he will need to start banking apples with garbage too

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
well the magical thing about Jumbo and Karl was that any warm body was good enough to put home passes lol. Look at a nobodies like Melker Karlsson or Marcus Sorensen with Joe, or even last year with Karl and Lorentz and Sturm and Barabanov.

If we want to vault Eklund to their status, he will need to start banking apples with garbage too

Fair point. Well, if there’s one person to practice on it’s Kunin…

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Eklund is playing 1st line minutes with 3rd line team mates. That means he is facing off against the best defense, the best forwards, the best PKers in the league. Doing it all with a supporting cast of mid-6-ers, an anemic defense and a coach that isn’t exactly the greatest. I wouldn’t draw an conclusions from this year other than the kid belongs in the league.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Mark Bell one of the biggest what if Players of all time.

Started his career strong, 28, 29, 45, 48 and then was traded and never really played again.

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille