Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Who are our targets in the offseason? Big wingers? Spend big on Defense? Im looking at the FA market and its all over the place.
I'd love to throw some money at Demelo, Dillon, and both Will and Alex Carrier. Would bring in some steady defenders and an elite grinding winger. And then maybe guys like Roslovic, Wennberg, Stephenson, and Monahan to fill in the center depth.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Who are our targets in the offseason? Big wingers? Spend big on Defense? Im looking at the FA market and its all over the place.
Joe Pavelski, Dylan DeMelo, and Brenden Dillon. ;)

I think it is because they all think hockey should only be in Canada or what they consider a hockey town.
Sure, but we aren’t the only non-traditional hockey market. Dallas, Nashville, Florida, Tampa, LA, Carolina, etc. are teams that get a lot of good press. The Sharks are just a team that the media loves to dump on. Columbus is the only other team I think gets dumped on like we do.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Sure, but we aren’t the only non-traditional hockey market. Dallas, Nashville, Florida, Tampa, LA, Carolina, etc. are teams that get a lot of good press. The Sharks are just a team that the media loves to dump on. Columbus is the only other team I think gets dumped on like we do.

I'd put AZ in that category too (?)

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Knew I was missing someone. But the difference is that Columbus and Arizona have been losers their entire history. The Sharks made the playoffs for like 16 years consecutively.
I don't think I'd put Florida in the same category since they got tons of relocation chatter in the bad years. But Anaheim is in a very similar spot and they either get ignored or get mildly positive vibes when talking about how their rebuild is going.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I don't think I'd put Florida in the same category since they got tons of relocation chatter in the bad years. But Anaheim is in a very similar spot and they either get ignored or get mildly positive vibes when talking about how their rebuild is going.
The LA Mighty Ducks of Anaheim are still vibing off the original Disney ownership. You dont f*** with the mouse.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I feel like ANA gets positive vibes. I feel like winning a cup helps, as does disney's "mighty ducks" influence.

The LA Mighty Ducks of Anaheim are still vibing off the original Disney ownership. You dont f*** with the mouse.
yes that :D

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Pashelka wrote an article about Stamkos from todays game and if they get Celebrini, I'd offer Stamkos a 5-6x10m deal.

• Haha

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
I would rather 3 years $15 million per year. The sharks could spend whatever they want for the next 3 years until Smith and Celebrini need new contracts.
That's alright with me too, but that's what I mean by this draft really being Celebrini or bust. If they got Stamkos similar to Killorn/Ducks that would be massive, just much better :laugh:

I hate doing predictions, but Celebrini+Stamkos then MG flips picks/Eklund/Bordeleau/Gushchin for another top 6/4 and they're competing sooner.

Last edited:

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I for one would fully embrace a full blown franchise heel turn and watch them San Jose Assholes their way to a cup

Or at least a Ryane Clowe that doesn't take shit from anyone

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
giphy.gif

Knew I was missing someone. But the difference is that Columbus and Arizona have been losers their entire history. The Sharks made the playoffs for like 16 years consecutively.
I'd add the Panthers to that category as well, most of the time have been losers but at other times are like the Sharks (getting close but no cigar lol)

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021

Hasn't Pierre been looking for an NHL GM gig the past several years?

This just sounds like sour grapes to me.

I was skeptical of Grier's early moves in year 1 (2022 draft, Burns, Kunin, etc.) but he seems to have figured out things pretty quickly and IMO he's done a great job with what he was given on the whole.

All we need at this point is a little luck with the draft—like any successful rebuild. But man, that's a lot more than you could say for this team even a year ago.

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
Clearly Sheng agrees with them
Am I the only one who feels like Sheng is Kurz with less personality?

He constantly dumps on the Sharks, though he seems less motivated to piss people off as he seems to legit just have a really low view of the value of our players/prospects. I guess I might feel the same if I started covering the team during these later dark years.

Still, every time I listen to the podcast, I wonder why guys like Keegan don't get the job over guys like Sheng. He seems to actually like the team, while being sober minded about it.

• Wow

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
That's alright with me too, but that's what I mean by this draft really being Celebrini or bust. If they got Stamkos similar to Killorn/Ducks that would be massive, just much better :laugh:

I hate doing predictions, but Celebrini+Stamkos then MG flips picks/Eklund/Bordeleau/Gushchin for another top 6/4 and they're competing sooner.

We mustn't Ottawa ourselves...

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Am I the only one who feels like Sheng is Kurz with less personality?

He constantly dumps on the Sharks, though he seems less motivated to piss people off as he seems to legit just have a really low view of the value of our players/prospects. I guess I might feel the same if I started covering the team during these later dark years.

Still, every time I listen to the podcast, I wonder why guys like Keegan don't get the job over guys like Sheng. He seems to actually like the team, while being sober minded about it.
To me, Sheng is a journalist more than he is a sports journalist. The team has been terrible the last few years and Sheng is rightfully negative about the quality of the Sharks teams the last few years. When organization does something well Sheng covers it. I also appreciate that he often doesn't just state his opinion, he asks scouts around the NHL their opinion and informs us what they think. Kurz would just say if he liked a move or if he did not like the move, Sheng reports on what the scouts and NHL sources he knows think of the move and that is a major upgrade.

coupe89

Jan 25, 2006
PEI
Joe Pavelski, Dylan DeMelo, and Brenden Dillon. ;)

That I am not sure, but they love to bring up that San Jose is not a traditional hockey market.

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad