2023-24 Season Wrapup - Locker Cleanout Day Media Availability

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

says retool rather than rebuild is the plan, looks to Dallas as a blueprint
Talks about having young guys take another step

talks about integrating the youth, having some nice vets in Weegar and Kadri

talks about a lot of the turnover, liked taking on a mentor position for the youth

Kylington talks about liking Calgary and wanting to stay

Hubes talked about having a tough start, felt more confident after the new year. Acknowledges still not nearly good enough.

Pretty non-committal about things. If Steinberg and Gilbertson think he's probably gone, he's probably gone.

Zary is a good interview. Pospisil doesn't care what his reputation is, does talk about finding the line a bit better.

Captain stuff

Love me some Weegar and Blake Goalman, good guys to have around the youth

Different vibe definitely than the end of last year. Personally I think there's lots of positives about this season even if the team wasn't good. Conroy stating flat out we're going retool makes me a little nervous they're going to go big name UFA hunting but ultimately I think that a retool plan is what makes sense with the players the Flames have right now. Really need to hit this draft out of the park for it to have much hope though. And still the search for a 1C continues. Should be an interesting summer anyway.

Reactions: Boomstick

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Man Reinhart is gonna be overpaid to play in Calgary. I hope he’s looking at turning some of the draft capital and young defenceman into players who can have an impact but maybe just need a change of scenery like Rango.

Maybe Johnson from Columbus or Wright from the Krakken.

See how things shake out! I’d like to see a Markstrom draft day trade tbh.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I’m not one of those people who is overly invested in how players train in the offseason, but Huberdeau should go to the Worlds and try to find his game. I was surprised he didn’t go last year

Weegar’s success last spring helped us figure out how to maximize his ability this year

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I’m almost certain Markstrom is gone after listening to his full availability.

That’s the biggest determinant in the direction of this team. In a world where he stays, I could at least envision a couple adds that would have us around a playoff team. With him gone, I don’t see any way - probably a bottom 10 team again.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I’m almost certain Markstrom is gone after listening to his full availability.

That’s the biggest determinant in the direction of this team. In a world where he stays, I could at least envision a couple adds that would have us around a playoff team. With him gone, I don’t see any way - probably a bottom 10 team again.
He is probably gone and I expect that we won’t be that happy with the return.
For all the bidding war supporters I get it but.. I think a desperate motivated team wanting to make the playoffs would have paid more for him and I hope the blame lands squarely on our uninspiring past his due date POH cause at least he can be fired

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It’s Mind boggling that this team and the players on it risks so much for so little. If they were solidly in the playoff mix sure but…
it's mind boggling fans are too daft to realize every team and their players do this

Reactions: User1996

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Let’s not jump to conclusions about the severity of “nagging injuries”. Sounds quite minor to me, but I could be wrong. Most players probably have some form of a nagging injury after an 82 game season.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
You never learn that every NHL player and org does this. Players lie about pain, so they can play. Teams push players to play. This is the NHL.
It’s why context matters.

A bit “banged up” is practically part of the job and playing through minor stuff is the reality.

If something more serious that requires medical intervention - and assuming that would need recovery and rehab, better to shut that player down as soon as possible so rehab can be complete and be ready to go for training camp.

Doesn’t seem to be the case here, but last season it was Mangiapane playing meaningless games with a shoulder that needed surgery.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It’s why context matters.

A bit “banged up” is practically part of the job and playing through minor stuff is the reality.

If something more serious that requires medical intervention - and assuming that would need recovery and rehab, better to shut that player down as soon as possible so rehab can be complete and be ready to go for training camp.

Doesn’t seem to be the case here, but last season it was Mangiapane playing meaningless games with a shoulder that needed surgery.
Yeah, like there's a spectrum, at one end Steve Yzerman taking ice baths and having major freezing/steroid injections in his destroyed knee before each playoff game, or the coach telling the doctors to just ice a guys torn shoulder because they need him in. I don't know the whole thing with Mangiapane, what would have been the reasoning behind keeping him in?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
You never learn that every NHL player and org does this. Players lie about pain, so they can play. Teams push players to play. This is the NHL.
It’s a good thing he pushed through it for 2 assists the rest of the way while we were well out of a playoff spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad