GDT: 2023-24 season Western Conference Quarter Finals LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers Game 1

Who wins the series

• Oilers in 4

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • Oilers in 5

Votes: 47 44.8%
  • Oilers in 6

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Oilers in 7

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Kings in 4

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Kings in 5

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Kings in 6

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Kings in 7

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
I only saw bits and pieces of the game, but a few (not many) Oiler fans are calling for Moore to be suspended. What happened?

bland

Jul 1, 2004
What I did like last night was the Kings finally didn't get bullied.

PLD runs McDavid, Moore with a cheap shot on Desharnais - the Kings were throwing the body. Englund with a nasty cross check on Hyman.
They absolutely got bullied. Every single one of their defensemen was routinely pushed out of position in front of their net by Oilers crashing the crease, both on the PK and at even strength. They lost battle after battle along the walls.

Their forwards didn't battle hard enough to get traffic in front of Skinner to get to the ample rebounds.

There are practical instances of being physically dominated that aren't just getting roughed up. The Kings lost the battles last night.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I can't even be that upset, 'cuz this is exactly what was to be expected. At the very least I'd like for them to make it an interesting series, but I doubt we'll even witness that. Our goaltending is abysmal, a shame Copley isn't available. I feel he'd have a better performance than the journeymen G's we have, but even that hope is a longshot against Edmonton's onslaught of offensive weaponry.

This game is also proof that you should never ride your aging #1 center the whole regular season. Kopi just looks absolutely spent after load bearing most of the matchup responsibility and minutes for the whole year.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
What I did like last night was the Kings finally didn't get bullied.

PLD runs McDavid, Moore with a cheap shot on Desharnais - the Kings were throwing the body. Englund with a nasty cross check on Hyman.

Nice eye for the small moments of good feelings. It’s always the guys you least expect jam from that stand out in a 💩show.

Unfortunately, BLuc’s League of Extraordinarily Mediocre Gentlemen is meticulously engineered for being good but never great.

Except when it comes to the paychecks. Then everyone gets remunerated very well but the buck never stops anywhere.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
All that’s left to do now is call up Turcotte and Thomas, play them one game each for 5 minutes, and cause them to miss the AHL Playoffs too.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
All that’s left to do now is call up Turcotte and Thomas, play them one game each for 5 minutes, and cause them to miss the AHL Playoffs too.

No way Marco lets those guys or Clarke go at this point. He should threaten to pull a Wrobo if BLuc messes with an ounce of his flow. I’m sure there is a PWHL franchise willing to pay him more than his current salary.

The most likely guys to not be back next season are Hiller and DJ. Sturm is first in line to takeover the duties as first line water carrier. If I’m him, I’m pounding the drum for Kaliyev and Movahrararah today.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The most insane thing was them trying to get Kopi into scrums. Like Desharnais are you new here?

That was the one single event last night that made me feel anything

Like headbutting Danault, okay that sucks but fine

But SCRUMMING with KOPITAR? That should be a death warrant...like when Burrows forced him to fight and Willie Mitchell damn near went serial killer

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
There is zero pressure on the LA Kings from external forces. This is not a hockey town and the "media" covering the team are team employed.

There has to be internal pressure. You get that with a Lombardi and definitely a Sutter. You also get that from drafting and acquiring certain types of players.

The Bluc era is just one big con to ride Cup nostalgia into tons of paychecks for themselves and their friends.

Rob Blake is a Kings killer and has been for over twenty years now. As fans, you only get so many years to watch your team and this regime has flat out wasted nearly a decade of our fandom.

The greatest moments of the Bluc era are milestone nights, jumbotron thank yous to returning players that were traded and retirement ceremonies.

It's sad, man. They've sapped my enthusiasm for the Kings and hockey and I can't wait until they are gone.

In order to be a fan truly aligned with management’s goals for todays Kings, we need to get excited about playoff revenue and franchise valuation.

It’s pathetic and rudderless.

Reactions: chris kontos

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
well that was about as bad as it could have gone..just outmatched everywhere. Edmonton gave LA no time and space, whereas LA sat back waiting for Edmonton to make mistakes that did not happen.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The most insane thing was them trying to get Kopi into scrums. Like Desharnais are you new here?
I noticed that too, early as well. Kopitar is saint!!!

Honestly though LA should be doing that to McJesus. What's the point of having a tough #6D if he does not play like one?

IN 2022 LA D was so banged up the team found a way to be up 3-2 in the series. McDavid took over in games 6/7.

In 2023 LA never rebounded after being blowing a 3 goal lead in game 5 that would have put LA up 3-2. LA lost in 6.

This year LA is worse than 2023 IMO, and Edmonton is much deeper. Would be shocked if LA made it to game 6.

I can't believe Du Bois got a penalty for his little love tap on McDavid after the play was over and they get nothing for going after Kopitar. I'm certainly not blaming the refs for last night's loss but there were some questionable calls.

It was a pretty disappointing performance by the Kings. Most of the team looked like they didn't want to be there. It certainly didn't look like LA was playing like its the playoffs. It's pretty pathetic when Du Bois is one of the few players that looked like they were cared about anything.

Reactions: Schrute farms

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I can't believe Du Bois got a penalty for his little love tap on McDavid after the play was over and they get nothing for going after Kopitar. I'm certainly not blaming the refs for last night's loss but there were some questionable calls.

It was a pretty disappointing performance by the Kings. Most of the team looked like they didn't want to be there. It certainly didn't look like LA was playing like its the playoffs. It's pretty pathetic when Du Bois is one of the few players that looked like they were cared about anything.
I fully agree. I don't like defending PLD but both his penalties were junk. Leon looked off balance and on his way down on the second one. PLD did look good for most of the first, than once the game was out of hand he turned back into what we've seen all year.

I thought doughty had a really rough first 40. That first hyman goal he went down for the block before Hyman had the puck and ended up blocking Talbot as much as Hyman. Just play the firggin man.

Reactions: Schmooley

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The team culture is broken, and it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a lot of bad feelings in the locker room right now. You can just tell by the way they’ve interacted with each other this season, and what gets aired in the media.

Love Kopitar, one of the greatest players ever, but not a leader, never was, and never will be. If he had a stronger personality he could keep the room together but he’s too demurely European. Doughty tries to throw his weight around but has the personality of a 15 year old Discord mod so no one takes him seriously, either.

Gabe Vilardi was a warrior and battled his way back from devastating back injuries to claw out a career in this league. Every time he scored for us he went nuclear. That’s the exact kind of passion you want in your room, guys who want to compete and leave it all out there. That’s why the 22/23 Kings will go down as Blake’s peak team, and why they came the closest to actually getting past Edmonton.

The fact Blake was comfortable trading Vilardi away for a floating malcontent like PLD says it all. One of the actual worst trades in Kings history if not the worst. Blake should be shot out of a cannon with his surfboard and never heard from again.

This organization is rotten and needs a total purge from Beckerman down.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The team culture is broken, and it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a lot of bad feelings in the locker room right now. You can just tell by the way they’ve interacted with each other this season, and what gets aired in the media.

Love Kopitar, one of the greatest players ever, but not a leader, never was, and never will be. If he had a stronger personality he could keep the room together but he’s too demurely European. Doughty tries to throw his weight around but has the personality of a 15 year old Discord mod so no one takes him seriously, either.

Gabe Vilardi was a warrior and battled his way back from devastating back injuries to claw out a career in this league. Every time he scored for us he went nuclear. That’s the exact kind of passion you want in your room, guys who want to compete and leave it all out there. That’s why the 22/23 Kings will go down as Blake’s peak team, and why they came the closest to actually getting past Edmonton.

The fact Blake was comfortable trading Vilardi away for a floating malcontent like PLD says it all. One of the actual worst trades in Kings history if not the worst. Blake should be shot out of a cannon with his surfboard and never heard from again.

This organization is rotten and needs a total purge from Beckerman down.
Kings lost a good deal of going to the dirty areas to score goals trading away Vilardi/Iafallo. Those 2 were part of the Kings workman like identity and traded for enigma offensive center that they really didn't need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad