Tribute 2023-24 season - POSITIVITY THREAD - PART 1

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The forwards still need work but the defense looks excellent.

First season in a long time we'll have 4 legit top 4 defensemen, and Sanderson is on his way to developing into one of the better D in the league.

Plus Brannstrom and Hamonic were solid bottom pairing guys last year and if they maintain their play we'll have no weak links.

If Korpisalo bucks his trend of regressing after a good season (and vice versa after a bad one), the D combined with solid goaltending could allow us to seriously contend for one of the spots in the East.

Reactions: NB613 and JD1

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The forwards still need work but the defense looks excellent.

First season in a long time we'll have 4 legit top 4 defensemen, and Sanderson is on his way to developing into one of the better D in the league.

Plus Brannstrom and Hamonic were solid bottom pairing guys last year and if they maintain their play we'll have no weak links.

If Korpisalo bucks his trend of regressing after a good season (and vice versa after a bad one), the D combined with solid goaltending could allow us to seriously contend for one of the spots in the East.
And even though Murray isn't being bought out, there's a silver lining to that in that all our bad money will be off the books after next year other than Colin White's small amount. A lot of cap space reclaimed then.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
And even though Murray isn't being bought out, there's a silver lining to that in that all our bad money will be off the books after next year other than Colin White's small amount. A lot of cap space reclaimed then.

Sanderson's new contract is going to swallow up all of that dead cap relief and more, but not re-signing DeBrincat for 8M will give us a lot more flexibility going forward.

We just need to find a way to add another good forward or two without trading anymore picks or prospects.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Sanderson's new contract is going to swallow up all of that dead cap relief and more, but not re-signing DeBrincat for 8M will give us a lot more flexibility going forward.

We just need to find a way to add another good forward or two without trading anymore picks or prospects.
Agreed. Just pointing out a positive for the theme of the thread. At least we'll have the cap available for that deal.

After next year, the mistakes made during the course of the rebuild will officially be "in the past", other than Colin White which is pretty small fries and actually appears to credit us $625k next year according to CapFriendly.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

cap will go up by a lot in the next few years which is great for where our core is at. We really need to start going for it.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Both signed as free agents.

So much for "Ottberia"
As much as he didn't work out, Dadonov was another high profile UFA that signed here.

Now, you can argue that we had to overpay with $ and/or Term to get them, or in Giroux's case, he had local ties, but personally I see this as evidence that players will come for the right opportunity, if they see a chance for personal success to launch their next contract, team success as the team improves and a fair contract, they'll consider us. We aren't the NYR or the sunny beaches and tax free status of Florida, but the claim that nobody would ever want to play here was always hyperbole gone wrong.

Reactions: Cosmix and Silencio

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
As much as he didn't work out, Dadonov was another high profile UFA that signed here.

Now, you can argue that we had to overpay with $ and/or Term to get them, or in Giroux's case, he had local ties, but personally I see this as evidence that players will come for the right opportunity, if they see a chance for personal success to launch their next contract, team success as the team improves and a fair contract, they'll consider us. We aren't the NYR or the sunny beaches and tax free status of Florida, but the claim that nobody would ever want to play here was always hyperbole gone wrong.
If only sweatred were here to argue this with you

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

Korpisalo was one of the bigger names on this summer’s UFA list as well. Definitely the top goaltender.

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Korpisalo was one of the bigger names on this summer’s UFA list as well. Definitely the top goaltender.
yeah, as much as I am a bit weary about that one, it's another somewhat coveted UFA signing at a reasonable price

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
At some point, while we were not looking, and adult walked into the room and took charge.

Have you noticed what the last few months have brought?
no slogans
no bravado
no bullshit
no bad press conferences
no declarations
quiet, low key, understated acts

trades that make sense, FA signings that are reasonable. All done quietly. All done with no brash statements of how "these will push us over the top."

Around the team has been low key and quiet. Mann is let go and done so quietly, with no idiot tweet of a rumour as to why... No Hannah Tweet.

BooBoo has been low key.. I watched him on TSN tv yesterday and he was low key. Heck, he even lost weight and looks good.

Sometime over the last 2 months, an adult walked into the room.

1 year after PT Barnum passed, an adult came..

16 years of the circus in town!. Finally we get the steak and not the sizzle.

I wonder what happened 2 months ago?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Fairytales do come true!
If you're young at heart!

Agreed. Just pointing out a positive for the theme of the thread. At least we'll have the cap available for that deal.

After next year, the mistakes made during the course of the rebuild will officially be "in the past", other than Colin White which is pretty small fries and actually appears to credit us $625k next year according to CapFriendly.
I hope it remains that way.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The defense could be one of the best in the league. We could have 2 top 15 defenders among any of: Chabot/Sanderson/Chychrun.

I expect Sanderson to be top 15 D next year.

Bottom pairing looks best since Corvo-Preissing.

If Korpisalo has .918 sv% or greater, we will be top 3 in the division.
Iirc, last year Boston led the league with a 929 sv % and NYI was 2nd with a 915.

I agree with you on the D, but i think anything in the upper half of team save % gets us a top 3

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Iirc, last year Boston led the league with a 929 sv % and NYI was 2nd with a 915.

I agree with you on the D, but i think anything in the upper half of team save % gets us a top 3

Yea, but note I said Korpisalo. Forsberg or whoever is backup could potentially lower that if they don't have as strong a season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Summer of Pierre. Part Deux.

76kK.gif

#GoSensGo :sens :stanley: :hockey:

• Haha
Reactions: gab6511 and OD99

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Both signed as free agents.

So much for "Ottberia"
Yes, Dadonov & Gonchar. Smolinski seemed to be pretty happy after being traded here back in the day as well.

Yes, Ottawa isn't the number one or a top tier destination, but there's other methods as well like a little overpayment on either $s or term. Winning goes a long way to making a team more attractive as well.

I think a Senator GM has to beat the bushes a lot harder though. It doesn't seem like a good idea to give a GM some latitude of using this as an excuse.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Summer of Pierre. Part Deux.

76kK.gif

#GoSensGo :sens :stanley: :hockey:
Ya, I think I will be cautiously optimistic with a fair amount of emphasis on the cautious part. For example, we have good defenders in the top pair but do we have two good pairings? It's not necessarily a problem, but it isn't automatic either. Got to see how the cap issue unwinds as well, although that could have more longer term implications.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad