GDT: 2023-24 season game 82 LA Kings vs Chicago Blackhawks @7:30pm 4/18/24

I didn't see much of the game, but you've gotta wonder if Hiller is thinking about Rittich right now.

It would be dumb to make that move at the start of a series when he could've played the hot hand before the playoffs started. Same with Todd. Talbot should get the first game and I hope hiller has the nads to start Rittich should Talbot be the reason for a loss in the playoffs.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I’m glad QB hit his bonuses. He deserves it after being the only thing keeping this team interesting and watchable for a good chunk of the season. To hell with the cap next year, less space means less opportunity for Blake to tinker if he miraculously survives.
I love Byfield but it sucks that he had to be motivated by money to start looking like a good player again. And that he waited until the very last game of the season to do it.

If he has a good showing in the playoffs then all is good.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
What's with these remarks that Byfield was only motivated by money? The bonuses were always there for him to hit. If he was only motivated by money, wouldn't he have done everything in his power to hit his bonuses then coast the rest of the way?

Can't young players just go through ups and downs as they mature?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I love Byfield but it sucks that he had to be motivated by money to start looking like a good player again. And that he waited until the very last game of the season to do it.

If he has a good showing in the playoffs then all is good.
Yeah, sure was a pretty telling sign that he turned it up for the last game of the season to hit those totals. Complete no show for a while then boom. Anyways at least he hit 20 goals though.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz and 21Dog

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
On a funny note.

1. Kempe 76 points
2. Fiala 73 points
3. Kopitar 70 points.

Kopitar finally wasnt the point leader in Eons. Kempe definitely turned it up towards the end of the season thankfully. and one of the most unjustly hated player, Fiala, with 73 points.

73 points play with the most bizarre line sets.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
What's with these remarks that Byfield was only motivated by money? The bonuses were always there for him to hit. If he was only motivated by money, wouldn't he have done everything in his power to hit his bonuses then coast the rest of the way?

It makes absolute sense…. I guess it means the money didn’t motivate his the last 15 games for some reason. I mean, seriously, people write this nonsense without thinking his late season form has probably cost him a few million over the term of his next deal. Yet 400k was the motivation… one night only.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale

What the impending bonuses did was make his teammates finally try to make him a focus of the attack. Rather than him allowing the game to come to him. Funny how when you get your best players the puck they produce. The last 20 games or so I felt he was too passive and didn't demand the puck enough to take control like he did previously. Anyway, he's young and is only getting better. Get him the puck and good things happen.

Reactions: VILARGOD

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I don't think it's too unreasonable to think that QB probably had a lot of teammates the past 24-48 hours in his ear talking him up to be EXTRA aggresive and selfish to make his bonuses.....and that having a big impact on QB. He's still very young and impressionable. He's also very respectful of the game and his teammates. Tends to defer too much obviously -- giving too much to the vets, etc. I'm sure their words and encouragement gave him an extra boast and confidence level to be The Man and make things happen.

I hope he takes this and runs with it next year. We need him to be that Alfa Dog. That's the problem with this team still being the Kopi/DD vet run team. Young guys taking a backseat -- both in their actions and mind.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
As far as team stats go, the game went almost perfectly. The only thing that could have put a cherry on top is if Fiala notched his 30th goal. Kudos to Byfield for maxing all of his bonuses and to Kempe on an outstanding year and deservingly being the one to finally knock Kopitar out of first place in scoring for the Kings despite playing 77 games. His contract is an amazing steal at the moment.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Pierre’s total salary this year, actual money, not cap hit, is $9M. He received $8M of that before a single game played as a King. By game 82, he earned 109,756.098 US$ per game. He scored 16g, 40pts.

Quinton Byfield is the definition of a bargain. Or he is until this July. At which point, Pierre is sucking up a bunch of money which he hasn’t earned. Yet has been gifted to him by Rob Blake. Hopefully Quinton doesn’t get screwed.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Teammates should put together a 400k pot for each game and try to help Byfield achieve it
Like most, I was thinking about this during the game. It's a funny joke but, at the same time, where the hell has that guy been for the last 20 games?

Hopefully he has the same "I'm scoring a goal tonight" mentality when the playoffs start instead of whatever "Play the system" mentality he's been mired in seemingly since scoring the goal of the year.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad