GDT: 2023-24 season game 72 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @6:00pm 3/28/24

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The 1-3-1 sucks when it comes to actually contending in the modern NHL, but like someone said, for a team without true 1st line game-breakers it's the best option. The Kings would not be a playoff team playing the style of hockey that most contenders are playing, they'd give up to many goals and don't have the horses to keep up offensively.

I do think it's a bit strange that the Kings and some the people who cover the team are so over the top defensive about it's effectiveness, "They hate it because it works so well" , I mean the Kings have been a middle of the road type team the last three seasons running it, no playoff series wins, consistent 3rd place division finishes. It's not like it's the NJ Devils trap or the Red Wings left-wing-lock that resulted in actual results. It's ok results for a team with a middling roster, but these guys (and Doughty) act like the Kings are hanging banners from the rafters running it and everyone is pissed.

This loss was a blessing, because the Kings need to do everything they can do get out of the 1st round matchup with the Oilers, it's a draw-dead situation if we play Edmonton. The last 3 years McDavid has 16 multi-point games out of 23 vs the Kings. He along is accounting for at least 2 goals, it makes it where you have to basically shut down everyone else to really give yourself a chance. The Kings can't stop McDavid and don't have the skill to play run and gun with these guys, it's a terrible terrible recipe.

Take the WC and move to the central bracket, we will still be big dogs, but we at least have a chance. Just hope like hell somebody else takes care of Edmonton.

its ok dubois will wake up and beat them once the playoffs roll around
I know you are being sarcastic, but I have heard some say this and being serious. I remember when the same things were said about the last time a player inexplicably collapsed. "You watch, he's going to turn it on in the playoffs". Players don't play this poorly for an entire season and then flip a switch.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
For a 1-3-1 to work effectively a team needs consistently good goaltending and killer defensemen
This is the thing that doesnt make sense. Blake didnt construct a roster to play so reserved for portions of a game.
They play tight but they arent physically imposing. They check but dont hit hard.
They dont have the horses to run and gun nor be a defensive powerhouse.
They are at their best playing uptempo with a feisty forecheck and crisp breakout. Sitting back to chip it into the neutral zone giving the other team possession will not get them as far as they want to go in the playoffs.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I wasn't getting too high or low on any of these games. Kings are making the playoffs and I don't care who they play. All I care about is how they look in game 83. As usual my hopes are high but expectations are low. Hoping different coaching and goaltending can get us some better results.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There's nothing wrong with the 1-3-1.

The problem is the team isn't good enough. Not the "system".

I don't see why both things can't be true

But I think most will agree the 2nd thing is def more important

However I do think saying we're building a team around a 1-3-1 is faulty enough that building a team that isn't good enough AND doesn't match that philosophy makes it a big problem

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Oilers are going to regret winning this game in regulation when they’re playing the Knights instead of an easy first round matchup because they pushed us to the wildcard.
Seriously, let those 2 face each other in round 1. I like our odds against Vancouver anyways.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Imagine losing two years in a row to the same team and deciding to make a big change to your team that handcuffs any other changes because you feel so strongly about the add. And ultimately ending up at the same place you were before. Round & round we go...where it stops nobody knows

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Imagine losing two years in a row to the same team and deciding to make a big change to your team that handcuffs any other changes because you feel so strongly about the add. And ultimately ending up at the same place you were before. Round & round we go...where it stops nobody knows
Even funnier when the big add was made to try and counter the team that has beat you two years in a row

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I don't see why both things can't be true

But I think most will agree the 2nd thing is def more important

However I do think saying we're building a team around a 1-3-1 is faulty enough that building a team that isn't good enough AND doesn't match that philosophy makes it a big problem

Their system isn't really based on the 1-3-1, its a situational aspect of the system.

I beg you guys, don't follow the puck when you watch the games, broaden out the view and watch the system instead of the players for a game.

The Kings forechecking system is based on immediate F1 pressure to stop the puck with the F2 in close proximity for recovery and an extremely high F3 in the middle of the ice to read and react. In the event of a lost battle, the F3 clogs the middle of the neutral zone with the strong side defenseman standing up at the blueline and the F2 winger applying strong diagonal pursuit so the puck carrier is pressured from behind while skating into that defensemans coverage. The weak side defender hangs back waiting for the puck carrier to dump the puck in instead of trying to beat three men.

Nothing works all the time, systems are designed to have as much impact as possible. The Kings don't want or need big, heavy wingers for that back check - they want quick slash skating across the ice to apply puck pressure, not physical pressure.

The 1-3-1 only comes in on dump in situations like line changes or protecting late leads.

This is why Kaliyev almost never plays now. Has nothing to do with puck abilities, he is just a poor forechecker as the F1, and too slow in support for that F2 role. He gets beat regularly in those spots. If you have one out of five skaters regularly struggling to play that trapping system, there are too many holes for it to be successful. That is why they keep him off the ice until they are willing to forego the system to play catch up. Scoring a really nice goal doesn't negate the liability he is to their defensive game.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Their system isn't really based on the 1-3-1, its a situational aspect of the system.

I beg you guys, don't follow the puck when you watch the games, broaden out the view and watch the system instead of the players for a game.

The Kings forechecking system is based on immediate F1 pressure to stop the puck with the F2 in close proximity for recovery and an extremely high F3 in the middle of the ice to read and react. In the event of a lost battle, the F3 clogs the middle of the neutral zone with the strong side defenseman standing up at the blueline and the F2 winger applying strong diagonal pursuit so the puck carrier is pressured from behind while skating into that defensemans coverage. The weak side defender hangs back waiting for the puck carrier to dump the puck in instead of trying to beat three men.

Nothing works all the time, systems are designed to have as much impact as possible. The Kings don't want or need big, heavy wingers for that back check - they want quick slash skating across the ice to apply puck pressure, not physical pressure.

The 1-3-1 only comes in on dump in situations like line changes or protecting late leads.

This is why Kaliyev almost never plays now. Has nothing to do with puck abilities, he is just a poor forechecker as the F1, and too slow in support for that F2 role. He gets beat regularly in those spots. If you have one out of five skaters regularly struggling to play that trapping system, there are too many holes for it to be successful. That is why they keep him off the ice until they are willing to forego the system to play catch up. Scoring a really nice goal doesn't negate the liability he is to their defensive game.
Thank you for the description. I’ve been reading the 1-3-1 narrative getting more and more frustrated. I didn’t have the time, inclination or perhaps even the ability to articulate things as you’ve done. I normally need a white board, marker and lots of arrows :laugh:

I hadn’t considered what you said about Kaliyev but thinking about it now, it makes complete sense.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
There's nothing wrong with the 1-3-1.

The problem is the team isn't good enough. Not the "system".
1-3-1 is exactly what’s wrong with this team. The Kings have talent, and the system neuters them. They are capable of playing high octane hockey but the formation imposed by management makes them play a lot more passive on the forecheck because they’re more focused on clogging the neutral zone rather than forcing turnovers in the offensive zone. I don’t know how you make such vapid comments like this.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
1-3-1 is exactly what’s wrong with this team. The Kings have talent, and the system neuters them. They are capable of playing high octane hockey but the formation imposed by management makes them play a lot more passive on the forecheck because they’re more focused on clogging the neutral zone rather than forcing turnovers in the offensive zone. I don’t know how you make such vapid comments like this.
Kopitar, PLD, Danault...definitely not high octane players.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Reading this board after a loss trying to decipher what a system is, 1-3-1 etc, you can clearly see who is using Hockey for Dummies as as resource....

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
IMG_4235.png

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
High octane hockey is what you saw last season before Petersen was banished. 12-9-4 record after the infamous Seattle game. 3.76 GAA at that point in the season. They finished smack in the middle of the pack for GAA last year and 9th in GF. This year, they are 2nd in GAA with 2.62 but exactly in the middle for GF. They will most likely finish with less points than last season but have a very good chance of finishing in the same spot in the standings.

They don't have the goaltending or enough firepower to play high octane hockey. But yeah: if they are first round fodder anyways then I'd prefer a more fun style of hockey to watch but they might give up four goals a game.

1-3-1 or not, the problem that has plagued Blake's tenure is the lack of toughness and tone setting. No true contender handles themselves like the Kings have when it comes to "playing the right way". That's really the end of the story.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I’ll keep saying it until I’m blue in the face: Kopitar has never won a playoff series as team captain. It’s one of those things that feels like it can’t be true but it is. He’s right there with Matty Norstrom, Dave Taylor, Terry Ruskowski, Terry Harper, Bob Pulford, and Larry Cahan as captains to have never won a series. Brown has by far the most series wins among LA captains.

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA
I’ll keep saying it until I’m blue in the face: Kopitar has never won a playoff series as team captain. It’s one of those things that feels like it can’t be true but it is. He’s right there with Matty Norstrom, Dave Taylor, Terry Ruskowski, Terry Harper, Bob Pulford, and Larry Cahan as captains to have never won a series. Brown has by far the most series wins among LA captains.
Was unaware that the captain is in charge of roster, transactions, drafting, and development

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Brown never won anything without Richards, Mitchell, Sutter, etc. either.

I don't think people ever truly grasped just how important those imports were to the cause. There was a legit leader on the ice for nearly every single shift during that run. Not just rah-rah stuff, but players who understood the shift by shift impact of setting the emotional tone of the game. It allowed Kopitar to remain that ice cold steady influence, Doughty to be the overly emotional wildcard and Brown to be.... the Urkle that he was. It was a team loaded to the gills.

Was unaware that the captain is in charge of roster, transactions, drafting, and development
What duties are you aware of?

Reactions: Schrute farms

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Yes we know and it is clear as day when they use it. The problem is they blew a lot of leads using this method of protecting. Just the other day they let their foot off the gas and Tampa came back.
They use it situationally like you describe right now and mostly this season but they did use it against Edmonton when trailing in games last years playoff. The announcers were even baffled.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
^Typical normie fan who thinks his team and players are better than they actually are.

Not using the 1-3-1 against opposition breakouts isn't going to suddenly make the Kopitar and Danault lines win matchups against Drai and McD lines. Also isn't going to impact special teams.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

The next game I watch I will post every time I see the 1-3-1 on an opposing possession. It’s super obvious.

I’ll probably be up around 2000 posts by the end of the season.

I don’t have any data on this, but not only does it force dump ins by the opposition, but it also slows down the Kings offense. If the Kings recover the puck, they’re facing the boards with all five skaters back.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I'm not blaming him for anything, it's just one of those things that seems like it can't be true. It's a crazy fact to me. I would hate for him to remain on that list and I really hope we can get past the first round this year.

Brown never won anything without Richards, Mitchell, Sutter, etc. either.

I don't think people ever truly grasped just how important those imports were to the cause. There was a legit leader on the ice for nearly every single shift during that run. Not just rah-rah stuff, but players who understood the shift by shift impact of setting the emotional tone of the game. It allowed Kopitar to remain that ice cold steady influence, Doughty to be the overly emotional wildcard and Brown to be.... the Urkle that he was. It was a team loaded to the gills.
For sure. There are a couple guys on our current roster that have some of those leadership qualities, but that was a really special era for the Kings. We've got Doughty, Danault, and Anderson I guess? Those cup teams were special.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The next game I watch I will post every time I see the 1-3-1 on an opposing possession. It’s super obvious.

I’ll probably be up around 2000 posts by the end of the season.

I don’t have any data on this, but not only does it force dump ins by the opposition, but it also slows down the Kings offense. If the Kings recover the puck, they’re facing the boards with all five skaters back.
Yes, but note exactly when its used. Its when they have been trapped in their zone and dump the puck in to go for a change in the fly or when they are protecting a late lead and just want to reset without forechecking.

Other teams use systems that accomplish the exact same thing in those scenarios - it doesn't matter one bit if the first guy is passive or aggressive, either way you are trying to dictate where the opponent attacks your zone. There isn't a system in the world that encourages puck carrying entries. Its just the semantics that folks are getting upset about. Dallas clogs the neutral zone every bit as much as the Kings. Edmonton did a version of it last night - it doesn't matter where you position the players, the goal is to push the carrier towards the wall and force a dump in.

You know who whines about it? Lousy defensive teams who rely on offense to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad