GDT: 2023-24 season game 71 LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks @6:00pm 3/25/24

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA
They're not 'complaining' they're shit talking. And as long as the kings lose in the playoffs with it, the shit talk will sting more than some regular season win feels good

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
They're not 'complaining' they're shit talking. And as long as the kings lose in the playoffs with it, the shit talk will sting more than some regular season win feels good
until hiller unzips on game 1 and the hockey world is introduced to the 5-0 defense where the opponent is never allowed to leave the d zone

the consequences will never be the same

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Why are players complaining so much about this? Zadorov isn’t the first, MacKinnon was crying about it before. The 1-3-1 isn’t hard to crack in a series. The Oilers of all teams were able to do it within a couple games in consecutive years. If the Canucks are undisciplined and lazy enough to fail to beat a trap team then they deserve to go out in the 1st round.

Yeah it's like I WISH it was as effective as everyone made it seem

Like I said before we've been complaining about it for years, its' boring AND it sucks, it shows you just how astute the hockey media is that theyr'e like 3-4 years late, so remember that when you see your east coast and canadian hot takes about how doughty is awful and wow jonathan quick was awful for 15 years but is suddenly good in new york

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I like the playoff shit talking. Zadorov complains about the system but why didn’t he complain about why his team sucked

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Yeah it's like I WISH it was as effective as everyone made it seem

Like I said before we've been complaining about it for years, its' boring AND it sucks, it shows you just how astute the hockey media is that theyr'e like 3-4 years late, so remember that when you see your east coast and canadian hot takes about how doughty is awful and wow jonathan quick was awful for 15 years but is suddenly good in new york

It can be effective at times for sure, but when you look at it, every team deploys some kind of version of a 1-3-1. Certain teams get frustrated they can't just skate into the zone unimpeded and fire off a shot, like the Canucks and Avs seem to do. It borders on arrogance to think their teams should be able to walk right in and do whatever they want. It's called defense for a reason. It's like when the nickle defense was first brought in, teams bitched that it wasn't fair to play 5 defensive backs covering all the receivers, yet it's still there today.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don’t know what any one is smoking but the idea of playing the Oilers or Canucks due to the division is a breath of fresh air. Ducks haven’t been a rival for a decade and the same can be said about the Sharks. Bring me the same match ups. I hate Canucks now too. Let’s go baby.

And to be honest, I’m not talking smack for the sake of it, I truly believe the Canucks heavily over performed and have no real game breaking talent at forward. They’re going to get knocked out first round in 5 games.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
The fans aren't wrong. 1-3-1 sucks. Fine if you're protecting a three goal lead, but otherwise just put it away.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Did the Canucks not watch any footage or have any gameplan to beat the Kings system? It's not like there isn't tons of examples of the Oilers figuring it out. Heck, even Buffalo has basically dominated the Kings every time they play for the past few years.

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
The truth is that I thought the Canucks did a pretty good job stifling the Kings’ breakout so they didn’t have an opportunity to get it deep that often. I honestly didn’t see the Kings shifting to 1-3-1 anll that much outside of the last 10 min of the 3rd period. I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong.

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
Well, I mean, if you don't want to see a team play defense, don't get behind. They obviously scored on you at some point and it sure AF wasn't because of 1-3-1. A team goes up by two, they're going change their posture to favor defense. I don't know Zadorov and have never seen him talk, and I'm not trying to be offensive, but it's an observation that seems kind of ... Ben Stiller in Tropic Thunder.

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Did the Canucks not watch any footage or have any gameplan to beat the Kings system? It's not like there isn't tons of examples of the Oilers figuring it out. Heck, even Buffalo has basically dominated the Kings every time they play for the past few years.
Right? They Kings go into the 1-3-1 after line changes and/or dump ins. There’s gonna be a lot of 1-3-1 late in the 3rd when the Canucks are pressing hard for offense. Certain teams know how to adjust but the ones that don’t just seem to cry that the Kings are ruining hockey LOL.

Reactions: Fripp

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
I think the Canucks work well as a team but lack the star power to get deep in the playoffs. It's also the reason they can't beat the 1-3-1 that LA ices. They don't have the talent and don't work as hard as aggressive on the forecheck. The strong forechecking teams like Vegas have the forechecking power because they have played so aggressively and can upend us in our D zone. Edmonton has the LD and McJesus duo which has been historically enough in the playoffs to break the 1-3-1. But the Canucks don't have it and I think it just pisses them off that they can do so well in the season but objectively can't beat a team they are more than 10 points up on in the standings.

We sat behind their bench last season right after Bruce was fired and you can see how frustrated the players were as the game progressed. They kept trying to draw up new plays like this one below but never penetrated. They couldn't even set it up for very long and that's the style we play. Possession. Can't get to the fun stuff in the offense if you can't even carry it in the zone. So all this play and set up below was moot.
IMG_3079.jpeg

So they can call it boring or Trap hockey all they want. We sort of become the San Antonio Spurs of hockey with our D and transitions. It's not exciting but effective. We have just had shitty luck in our match ups and that is something we have to solve. We have our own problems sure and need more firepower but it does work when everyone is healthy.
LA is not a bad team but we've got some tough ones in our division. The Canucks are just a team we match up really with.

We should be the one team they don't want to see in the playoffs. I think it would be a sweep or close to it. We might get our asses handed to us in 2nd round if it's VGK or EDM and we would deserve it because we haven't adjusted enough to beat them. But Vancouver doesn't match up with us and they know it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad