GDT: 2023-24 season game 35 LA Kings Detroit Red Wings @7:30pm 1/4/23

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
On Arthur Kaliyev’s response to being healthy scratched on Tuesday
Responded well, responded really well and it started way before he put the equipment on tonight. In practice the other day, he played and he worked hard, he worked hard in the pregame skate the day that he didn’t play and then he came in and responded well, so it’s a real positive sign for us.

hopefully that scratched the itch

It worked now he just has to bring that game in every day that's the hardest thing

He was the best player on the ice for LA last night from start to finish

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Prior to last night, I was thinking the while the powerplay hasn't been great it at least wasn't hurting us. It wasn't helping, but it wasn't hurting us. Last night it hurt us. Kings had multiple chances on the powerplay to extend the lead and didn't, that game should've been done after the 1st period. Not scoring on that powerplay in the 2nd period was the turning point in that game.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
kaliyev lost the puck behind the red wings net last night in the third. this obvious critical failure causing a loss in momentum and eventually the shootout failure, needs to be called out in the media. this will embarrass the player and possibly reflect in his future earning and negotiation power. mr kaliyev's sneer alone indicates a lack of work ethic and overall bad attitude which national media needs to be aware of.

there is a special place in hell for martinet coaches and idiots that think the media is the place to berate players

• Haha
Reactions: Telos and tny760

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Rough night for Drew and Mikey. overmatched on all three Detroit goals. Doughty looked disinterested and Anderson discombobulated. If McLellan wants to play Clarke and send a message, he’d sit Doughty.
I was actually laying in bed last night thinking has a team ever benched an 11 million dollar a year defenseman. Drew still is a great defenseman. I would be happy dropping him to PP2.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I was actually laying in bed last night thinking has a team ever benched an 11 million dollar a year defenseman. Drew still is a great defenseman. I would be happing dropping him to PP2.
When is this franchise going to learn you don't pay a player's third contract based on past performance? This team isn't going to win a damn thing with Kopitar and Doughty on the roster.

Reactions: Kurrilino and bland

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
When is this franchise going to learn you don't pay a player's third contract based on past performance? This team isn't going to win a damn thing with Kopitar and Doughty on the roster.
Who says they have not learned this?

completely different contract stages since Doughty and Kopitar deals were signed.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
But yeah DOughty Anderson and Roy have made a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes the last several games, not sure what's up there. Those are the guys you'd expect to settle things down.

Kopitar looked his age big time. Hoping it’s just his usual mid season slump but Father Time comes for us all.

kopitar playing over 20 minutes and Doughty nearly 29 should not be happening at this stage

kopitar WILL skate himself into the grave

Doughty knowing he's playing that much will enter 'conserve' mode and not play as well.

There's really zero reason to not be rolling 4 lines against the Wings at home in early january, especially after jumbling the lines. This is just Todd going to the 'overplay the stars' well like he always has, it's the only trick in his bag, the difference is Kopitar is in his late 30s, he's not McDavid in his athletic prime.

Reactions: Reaper45 and Telos

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
While Kaliyev wasn't playing great, he definitely took a public beating that was symbolic and meant for the whole team. It was just the only player Todd was comfortable lashing.

I dunno, the wind is definitely out of the sails now. A month ago the Kings were on everyone's lips as cup contenders and now it is the joke that they are going to epicly miss the playoffs or have another humiliating first-round exit.

While the roster isn't perfect, it isn't bad enough to warrant any crazy changes, but infusing some new young blood and switching things up line-wise is reasonable. Honestly, despite worry over PLD and question marks in goal, most of what is wrong with the Kings right now can be chalked up to coaching and systems.

I do actually like Todd. I like his demeanor, think he is a decent guy, and I think he is good at most of the things he does. But the things he is failing at are detrimental to the progress of the team and is kind of turning into a Terry Murray situation. I need to see some more urgency, heavy direction, and creativity from Todd which hasn't been evident at all in the past.

The entire leadership/management team is on their last leg as I would be pretty much shocked and calling for heads to roll if Blake survives adding a new coach and failing at getting to the second round, and I think TMac knows that he is easily gone before next season even if it doesn't look like we will make it to the second round let along survives long enough to fail getting there.

Just need to see more urgency from the organization as obviously, blowing all these leads and failing so spectacularly to score with this lineup is just unacceptable.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Not surprised all of a sudden the Kings put a top winger with PLD and he plays well. Grundstrom and Laffy...? Jesus.
Not surprised that when you put a good player that can make things happen with a shitty one, the shitty one gets marginally better, no. And Kempe is even having a crap season by comparison to boot.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
While Kaliyev wasn't playing great, he definitely took a public beating that was symbolic and meant for the whole team. It was just the only player Todd was comfortable lashing.

I dunno, the wind is definitely out of the sails now. A month ago the Kings were on everyone's lips as cup contenders and now it is the joke that they are going to epicly miss the playoffs or have another humiliating first-round exit.

While the roster isn't perfect, it isn't bad enough to warrant any crazy changes, but infusing some new young blood and switching things up line-wise is reasonable. Honestly, despite worry over PLD and question marks in goal, most of what is wrong with the Kings right now can be chalked up to coaching and systems.

I do actually like Todd. I like his demeanor, think he is a decent guy, and I think he is good at most of the things he does. But the things he is failing at are detrimental to the progress of the team and is kind of turning into a Terry Murray situation. I need to see some more urgency, heavy direction, and creativity from Todd which hasn't been evident at all in the past.

The entire leadership/management team is on their last leg as I would be pretty much shocked and calling for heads to roll if Blake survives adding a new coach and failing at getting to the second round, and I think TMac knows that he is easily gone before next season even if it doesn't look like we will make it to the second round let along survives long enough to fail getting there.

Just need to see more urgency from the organization as obviously, blowing all these leads and failing so spectacularly to score with this lineup is just unacceptable.

And that's the thing--I complain a lot about the front office but it's mostly future-oriented; this year's roster is incredibly strong. It's deep, it's fast, it's experienced but with an injection of youth. They can score, they can defend.

I like the comparison to Terry Murray. I'm not sure McLellan is as instructive, but it sure seems like he's an excellent volume-game regular season coach that hits a wall when his team has expectations of going further. That's all the history we have and it's playing out right before us again, including down to the actions before the fall

In 2022 at least, you could say they had arrived early. In 2023, they were exactly where they were supposed to be--but choked in similar fashion. So 2024 having us at almost the exact same place with the exact same weaknesses despite the better roster, near-complete health, goalie play at a Vezina level, and the most restful possible schedule isn't encouraging.

This road trip is going to expose everything, I expect 1-4-1.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yes, but for some reason they weren't clicking...
I agree. I'm just saying that it's not like PLD was surrounded by scrubs the whole time. And frankly he's just played poorly up until the last handful of games, so I don't know why he should be gifted better talent surrounding him.

And we see that Laferriere is talented enough, too. He was key in both goals for the line.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Chemistry has a lot to do with it too. It's not as simple as putting the best players together. otherwise Edmonton would win every year.

We do have an odd collection of guys wo don't seem to mesh with others though in Kopitar, Fiala, PLD. And I'd add Kaliyev to that as well. But even Moore didn't look himself away from Danault.

It's why even when Stoll left people said he was 'easily' replaceable but what he brings and his synergy with others was irreplaceable.

Reactions: King'sPawn

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Probably cause Fiala plays such a hectic, wild game. No one, not even himself, knows what he's doing with the puck half the time.
The other teams forechecking forwards seem to know where he is passing the puck unfortunately

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Not surprised that when you put a good player that can make things happen with a shitty one, the shitty one gets marginally better, no. And Kempe is even having a crap season by comparison to boot.
Lately Kempe has been hot and you go with the hot hand right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad