Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
We have 5 players, Carlsson, Zegras, Mac, Gauthier and Lundestrom all competing for 3 top 9 center slots. Mac is the best face-off guy out of all of them but Z plays the best at center. More than one guy is going to end up in a suboptimal spot unless Cronin finds some magic chemistry (OR we have devastating injuries again OR more than one guy has a major down year).
True, faceoffs are an issue.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't see it as a problem running three good ES lines. One of them is going to be getting a nice matchup.

Killorn - Carlsson - Terry: I know Terry has struggled on this line, but I like this line for its defensive effectiveness, and I think it can thrive.
Gauthier - Zegras - RW: If Gauthier has defensive/faceoff chops, this helps out Zegras, and hopefully Verbeek can find a complementary RW.
Vatrano - McTavish - Strome: We saw this line have success early in the season when they were getting favorable matchups.

Each of those three lines can play 14 minutes at ES, plus some of them will be getting decent PP minutes.

I'd want to develop youth pairs b/c that's our future. In the previous regime, we kinda knew which forward duos were a match and we test out the third guy. All three lines are line 1, or rather if we use the inaugural Vegas season, we're running three Line 2 forward sets.

• Cutter - Carlsson - Strome
    Cutter can take the FO for Carlsson
  • Killorn - Z - Terry
    We run into FO problems with this line, but I like Killorn giving this line grit and vet leadership
  • Vatrano - Mac - Colangelo
    If Colangelo is better defensively than Strome, then this is already a win!

This is me just shooting the wind if we decide to run three top-6 lines (all three are 2nd lines). By design, this improves our bottom-6 scoring immediately. Yet, I feel Cronin and Verbeek are inclined to give the Carlsson line about 18-20 minutes a game.

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
We have 5 players, Carlsson, Zegras, Mac, Gauthier and Lundestrom all competing for 3 top 9 center slots. Mac is the best face-off guy out of all of them but Z plays the best at center. More than one guy is going to end up in a suboptimal spot unless Cronin finds some magic chemistry (OR we have devastating injuries again OR more than one guy has a major down year).
So, put Mac on Z’s wing and let him take faceoffs?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Feel free to move this to a new Offseason Roster Thread, but I thought I'd lay out my thoughts on our forward lineup for next season. This is what I'm currently thinking:

Gauthier-Carlsson-Killorn/UFA/Trade
Zegras/McT-Zegras/McT-Killorn/UFA/Trade
Vatrano-Strome-Terry
Lundestrom/Jones/Johnston/McGinn-UFA(Stenlund/Blueger)-Leason

1. I think Carlsson, Zegras, and Terry should all be on separate lines as they are all puck-dominant players. At the start of the year, I'd probably give all 3 lines pretty even time at 5v5.
2. I am a little concerned about the defensive ability of that 2nd line, but maybe an offseason acquisition can address that.
3. I am admittedly not a huge fan of Strome and Vatrano playing together (they can produce some goals, but they give up a lot defensively), but I think they can be passable on a 3rd line.
4. I put Lundestrom/Jones/Johnston/McGinn on that 4LW spot because I have no clue who we will keep. Lundestrom would probably be my top choice out of that group, but I could see a world where none of them are back (or at least not on the NHL roster).
5. The UFA 4C needs to be someone who can win faceoffs and kill penalties. This team is terrible at faceoffs without Henrique and Carrick.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Feel free to move this to a new Offseason Roster Thread, but I thought I'd lay out my thoughts on our forward lineup for next season. This is what I'm currently thinking:

Gauthier-Carlsson-Killorn/UFA/Trade
Zegras/McT-Zegras/McT-Killorn/UFA/Trade
Vatrano-Strome-Terry
Lundestrom/Jones/Johnston/McGinn-UFA(Stenlund/Blueger)-Leason

1. I think Carlsson, Zegras, and Terry should all be on separate lines as they are all puck-dominant players. At the start of the year, I'd probably give all 3 lines pretty even time at 5v5.
2. I am a little concerned about the defensive ability of that 2nd line, but maybe an offseason acquisition can address that.
3. I am admittedly not a huge fan of Strome and Vatrano playing together (they can produce some goals, but they give up a lot defensively), but I think they can be passable on a 3rd line.
4. I put Lundestrom/Jones/Johnston/McGinn on that 4LW spot because I have no clue who we will keep. Lundestrom would probably be my top choice out of that group, but I could see a world where none of them are back (or at least not on the NHL roster).
5. The UFA 4C needs to be someone who can win faceoffs and kill penalties. This team is terrible at faceoffs without Henrique and Carrick.
I agree Terry needs to be on a 3rd line once we sign another top 6 r handed shot

Reactions: Deuce22

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Based on how well Gauthier played with Leo and that they paired them from the start, it's fair to assume they'll be a pair. McTavish and Terry looked good together and it makes sense that they would be a solid pair. Zegras needs to be at center.

Gauthier-Carlsson-Trade/Free Agent
Vatrano-McTavish-Terry
Killorn-Zegras-Strome
Regenda/Nesterenko-Lundestrom-Colangelo

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It was mentioned on the broadcast that we had 11 different rookies on the roster this season. 6 NHL debuts.

I hope we improve our coaching staff and we ahould improve next year for real. Ofc it will be a tough climb, but we should go up now. Technically we are already compared to last year :laugh: 1 more point but honestly, I think so much better by eye test, even if we're still bad. Last year we were horrible, imo

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Based on how well Gauthier played with Leo and that they paired them from the start, it's fair to assume they'll be a pair. McTavish and Terry looked good together and it makes sense that they would be a solid pair. Zegras needs to be at center.

Vatrano-McTavish-Terry
Killorn-Zegras-Strome
McTavish-Terry was the other duo I was considering instead of McTavish-Zegras. Either one can work.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Vatrano-McTavish-Terry
Killorn-Zegras-Strome

I'm not fond of Mac-Terry b/c they both want the puck and both want to shoot. Zegras-Terry has worked last year as both earned over 60 points.

If the team is planning on extending Vatrano, then maybe we should give RW Colangelo a path to the NHL, especially since next season is another development season - lots of youth on the blueline that still need establishing.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
McTavish-Terry was the other duo I was considering instead of McTavish-Zegras. Either one can work.
I think mctavish and T worked well with Vatrano and that get him away from Strome. But if Cutter is with Carlsson who plays with Z? Suppose you could so move millorn down a d grab a UFA or trade. To play with cutter and Leo.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It was mentioned on the broadcast that we had 11 different rookies on the roster this season. 6 NHL debuts.

I hope we improve our coaching staff and we ahould improve next year for real. Ofc it will be a tough climb, but we should go up now. Technically we are already compared to last year :laugh: 1 more point but honestly, I think so much better by eye test, even if we're still bad. Last year we were horrible, imo

Rookie Debuts (7 players): Carlsson, Minty, LaCombe, Luneau, Zellweger, Colangelo, and Cutter
Rookie (more than one stint) (4 players): Dostal, Groulx, Nesterenko, Regenda

I'm going to be looking forward at our young defense showing improvement next year in Minty, LaCombe, and Zell. Luneau is the newbie of the bunch, but he might be sacrificed on the top line with Fowler.

This year's team had a far better roster, but they weren't the better team. If you gave Cronin and his coaching staff the same roster from last year, do you think think he'd be able to produce 58 points? No way it happens.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
If we get Celebrini we could run a ridiculous top 9 of

Cutter Leo Terry
Celebrini Zegras Colangelo
Vatrono Mac Killorn

That would be fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad