The Arctic
Jesus excuses everyone if we ask
1705678388791.gif

• Haha
Reactions: NeelyDan

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Wanted to flush out the scenario where we keep Ullmark next year and also sign Swayman (per post game conversation). I’m not necessarily advocating for it or saying it will happen, but I built a look at next year with both goalies assuming:

- $87.75M Cap Limit
- Resign Swayman at 8x$7.5M
- Resign Debrusk at 6x$6.5M
- Resign Wotherspoon at $900k
- Resign Steen for 850k
- Resign Shatty for $1M
- Brunet as 7D for placeholder

A bit of conservatism there assuming a monster deal for Swayman. Added Steen and Shatty to fill out roster and get a baseline - not saying we’d do that. Doing that leaves you with this:

View attachment 806134

So $6.7M in space. Any change you would make would subtract the player’s cap hit on the roster who is traded/cut. So trading Lysell++ for a forward means you could trade for a player with a $7.5M cap hit.

This as-is certainly won’t be how most would want to build the team next year - and no way they come into the year with over $6M in space. And don’t focus on the specific players at the bottom of the roster (Shatty/Brunet/etc). But this is the baseline.

Trading Ullmark and putting Bussi there adds $4M-ish to the cap space.
When it's laid out like this, I definitely get your logic. It still doesn't sit well with me having $12.5M locked in with two goalies though. I'd still be working on a trade. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, ultimately I won't lose sleep over it.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
When it's laid out like this, I definitely get your logic. It still doesn't sit well with me having $12.5M locked in with two goalies though. I'd still be working on a trade. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, ultimately I won't lose sleep over it.

Agree. They were paying Rask and Halak $10m under a 79m cap, so there is also some precedent, but if you think Bussi can be average and Swayman can take on another 10 games that's probably better.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
It would be slick if you could somehow quantify the marginal difference between a 1a goalie and a strong backup, and then lay that across the cost difference
Hint: the difference in "quality" is indeed marginal, while the difference in cost is vast.

Look at Varlamov, Brossoit, DeSmith, Nedeljkovic, Lindgren, the list goes on. All quality goalies that do not cost anywhere near the 7.5 miilion AAV count I see thrown around here for Swayman.

Reactions: NeelyDan

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Wanted to flush out the scenario where we keep Ullmark next year and also sign Swayman (per post game conversation). I’m not necessarily advocating for it or saying it will happen, but I built a look at next year with both goalies assuming:

- $87.75M Cap Limit
- Resign Steen for 850k
- Resign Shatty for $1M

A bit of conservatism there assuming a monster deal for Swayman. Added Steen and Shatty to fill out roster and get a baseline - not saying we’d do that. Doing that leaves you with this:

View attachment 806134

So $6.7M in space. Any change you would make would subtract the player’s cap hit on the roster who is traded/cut. So trading Lysell++ for a forward means you could trade for a player with a $7.5M cap hit.

This as-is certainly won’t be how most would want to build the team next year - and no way they come into the year with over $6M in space. And don’t focus on the specific players at the bottom of the roster (Shatty/Brunet/etc). But this is the baseline.

Love the work put into doing something that's actually a realistic option.

I too am not sure where I stand on what to do next year, will likely depend which (if any) top 6 Cs unexpectedly become available.

If the talent out there isnt worth spending money/assets then keeping Ullmark might be the play. I'd like to see them split their starts this post season and see if that's a viable option moving forward.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Hint: the difference in "quality" is indeed marginal, while the difference in cost is vast.

Look at Varlamov, Brossoit, DeSmith, Nedeljkovic, Lindgren, the list goes on. All quality goalies that do not cost anywhere near the 7.5 miilion AAV count I see thrown around here for Swayman.
The thing about backups is they generally take on the weaker competition on most teams. Would the difference be as marginal if Varly/Brossoit/DeSmith/Ned (id consider Lindgren the starter over Kuemper at this point) played 50+ games and took on all the top teams? It's tough to compare that.

The Bruins on the other hand have the luxury of not worrying which goalie plays who.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Just want to reiterate that this isn’t what I’m saying they should do or what I would do. Just using some conservative (high-ish) numbers on Sway and Jake to get a baseline to work off of
Doubt Reinhardt will be available but he solves our C issues Stamkos 2x8 would work for me letting our young C develop. Both have played enough C and Stammer i over 50% on draws this year.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

When the term is 8 years, there needs to be a compromise in risk, current value, value over the next 8 years, and how the cap evolves over that time. If Sway at 25 years old is the guy, typically best for both parties as the player has security, and the team has flexibility as the deal gets better and better over time.

Bergy’s extension in 2013, and Marchand’s in 2016 were both “fair if not slightly overpaid” when they were signed. I’m aware Bergy is setting impossible expectations and no one else likely becomes a 100 point player overnight like Marchand, but better to invest early than pay what’s fair or overpay later with your core guys.

Reactions: NDiesel

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

- $87.75M Cap Limit
- Resign Steen for 850k
- Resign Shatty for $1M

View attachment 806134

That is a pretty Ugly looking roster there.
Rumor is Wings are looking to bolster their blueline. San Jose is interesting from a Bruins perspective.

Gryz to Detroit

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I know it's a bit dumb, but standing pat also means less pressure.

Even if we finish first in the East, it FEELS like expectations of this squad are no longer cup or bust. We're miles above where the whole league expected us to be.

Keep it that way. Play loose with house money. Might shock the world...

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire

Even if we finish first in the East, it FEELS like expectations of this squad are no longer cup or bust. We're miles above where the whole league expected us to be.

I wouldn't stand pat I would offload depth (I.e. Gryz) were we have it and pick up depth where we dont (RW i.e. Duclair). I would prefer Picks lol

Last edited:

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC

That’s how I feel, don’t empty the coffers or trade off youngplayers that showed sparks. This offseason all the money problems end and then next offseason they get to draft in the 1st round again. Just ride it out and look for players that fit the McAvoy, Pasta, Swayman core when you have money to play with.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

- $87.75M Cap Limit
- Resign Steen for 850k
- Resign Shatty for $1M

View attachment 806134

My gut feeling is that I don't think they're gonna want to go into next season with Lysell, Merk, and Poitras all in the top 9, especially not if Beecher is at 4C and Lohrei is in the top 4 with no safety net behind him. Too much youth for a team that is trying to compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad