Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion IVX-post TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Every year there are not bonafide 1C moving.
I know because every non bruins to you sucks and you think there’s only 15 top line centers in the league. So guys like trochek, Elias Lindholm, Bo Horvat etc don’t count but we’ve seen guys like that move as well as eichel the last few years

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If you get a first line Center, then Zacha becomes your top line LW.

Ullmark's replacement will almost certainly come from the minors for short money .

I think the team is committed to Lohrei taking a bigger role next year, so in the end I don't think they will be bringing in a hugely expensive LHD ; although, they might make an exception for Hanifin, if he is willing to come (not betting on that)

Regardless this is an Andre Peake thread, and I think the difference between a potentially high quality 3rd pairing RHD in Peake and whatever flotsam and jetsam they could pick up for NHL minimum back there is a huge impact

Just bringing this to the correct thread.

The top part where you mention Zacha moves to LW when a top line center is acquired is my ideal scenario on a couple fronts.

1. I think Zacha is a better winger than center and that’s no disrespect to him at center. I just feel he is a better and more natural wing.

2. Marchand is getting older and they need to bump him down a little bit.

Bringing in a center with ullmarks return and whatever sweeteners we need to add will really solidify the top 6.

Zacha-(insert new center)-pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Debrusk
Frederic-poitras-lysell
Brazeau-Beecher-geekie

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I know because every non bruins to you sucks and you think there’s only 15 top line centers in the league. So guys like trochek, Elias Lindholm, Bo Horvat etc don’t count but we’ve seen guys like that move as well as eichel the last few years
If you’re going by points then Charlie Coyle is a top line center this year. When people are talking about needing a 1C they’re not talking about Vincent Trocheck either.

Reactions: dangermike

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If you’re going by points then Charlie Coyle is a top line center this year. When people are talking about needing a 1C they’re not talking about Vincent Trocheck either.
And Zacha is a second line center by that metric. So, 1c and 2c are covered. If that’s what we are going by. At the end of the day it’s all about goals scored to some extent and neither of them are a defensive problem. Maybe it’s good.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Ok well over the last 5 years or so he’s averaged roughly 65 points a season, is above average defensively and one of the best face off guys in the league.

Whatever you want to call that we could use it.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Ok well over the last 5 years or so he’s averaged roughly 65 points a season, is above average defensively and one of the best face off guys in the league.

I agree, but I don’t think we’re that bad off in the C dept. if they can get Lindholm though, it gives us some good options. I’d be a fan of the move.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I agree, but I don’t think we’re that bad off in the C dept. if they can get Lindholm though, it gives us some good options. I’d be a fan of the move.
I don’t think they are bad off. I just think bringing in a “top line center” will bring a lot of balance we need in the top 6. Especially with allowing Zacha to move to the wing and being able to knock Marchand down a peg as he gets older.

Kind of helps on multiple fronts

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

And Zacha is on pace for his second straight 20 goal, 55 point season. At age 25 and 26 Trocheck had 34 and 38 points. So we basically have a younger Trocheck already. And Zacha is 55% on the dot this year so it’s not like he’s a wing masquerading as a centerman.

With Zacha, Coyle, and next Poitras we have those kind of players already. When people are talking about getting a 1C, they’re not talking about another one of those.

Reactions: Gifu

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Just bringing this to the correct thread.

The top part where you mention Zacha moves to LW when a top line center is acquired is my ideal scenario on a couple fronts.

1. I think Zacha is a better winger than center and that’s no disrespect to him at center. I just feel he is a better and more natural wing.

2. Marchand is getting older and they need to bump him down a little bit.

Bringing in a center with ullmarks return and whatever sweeteners we need to add will really solidify the top 6.

Marchand-Coyle-Debrusk
Frederic-poitras-lysell
Brazeau-Beecher-geekie
I can't see Monty running Poitras and Lysell on the same line based on the way he's handled the kids this season. Part of me wonders if Poitras is the guy that ends up moving to the wing as a way to protect him a little while he grows into his frame, they experimented with it a few times before he got surgery IIRC. Like let's say we end up signing Lindholm, then run a top 9 along the lines of:

Debrusk-Zacha-Pasta
Marchand-Lindholm-Poitras
Freddy-Coyle-Lysell

then in a year or two once they're more certain Poitras can handle the physicality that comes with playing center in the NHL, they move Zacha back to the wing and slide Poitras in at center.

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
And Zacha is on pace for his second straight 20 goal, 55 point season. At age 25 and 26 Trocheck had 34 and 38 points. So we basically have a younger Trocheck already. And Zacha is 55% on the dot this year so it’s not like he’s a wing masquerading as a centerman.

With Zacha, Coyle, and next Poitras we have those kind of players already. When people are talking about getting a 1C, they’re not talking about another one of those.

I get it, you hate every non bruin. Every suggestion people made at the deadline you complained about.

Would I prefer someone better than trochek? Absolutely. But as much as you don’t want him to be a top line center, he has been for half a decade now.

I’ve given you 4 names that are top line centers who have moved in the last 3 years. You said top line centers don’t move. Idk what to tell you, but they do.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I can't see Monty running Poitras and Lysell on the same line based on the way he's handled the kids this season. Part of me wonders if Poitras is the guy that ends up moving to the wing as a way to protect him a little while he grows into his frame, they experimented with it a few times before he got surgery IIRC. Like let's say we end up signing Lindholm, then run a top 9 along the lines of:

Debrusk-Zacha-Pasta
Marchand-Lindholm-Poitras
Freddy-Coyle-Lysell

then in a year or two once they're more certain Poitras can handle the physicality that comes with playing center in the NHL, they move Zacha back to the wing and slide Poitras in at center.

Alright well let’s put poitras at wing. I’d still rather something along the lines of this

Marchand-Coyle-debrusk
Frederic-geekie-poitras
Brazeau-Beecher- xxx

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Alright well let’s put poitras at wing. I’d still rather something along the lines of this

Marchand-Coyle-debrusk
Frederic-geekie-poitras
Brazeau-Beecher- xxx
Zacha has been good enough at center this season that I just don't see moving him back to the wing as all that much of a priority. Like let's say we sign Lindholm as a UFA, I'd rather have a 123 down the middle of Lindholm, Zacha, Coyle then Lindholm, Coyle, Geekie/Poitras.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
we don't know what the jackets were asking for. assume you're talking a 2nd round pick for both olivier and peeke at a minimum,
based on their price for peeke alone.
Fair enough and maybe Maroon steps in and crushes it.

But from here, counting on a 35 year old who's still rehabbing a back surgery to be your physical for checking presence and backstop against heavyweights seems not worth the discount in trade value. Olivier's got another year on his deal too.

But again maybe Maroon's in better shape than I think he is

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Zacha has been good enough at center this season that I just don't see moving him back to the wing as all that much of a priority. Like let's say we sign Lindholm as a UFA, I'd rather have a 123 down the middle of Lindholm, Zacha, Coyle then Lindholm, Coyle, Geekie/Poitras.

That’s fair if they actually sign someone. I just think you kill two birds with one stone for the time being getting a center and moving Zacha to wing.

Marchands getting old and needs to be bumped down a line sooner rather than later. Debrusk isn’t a top line wing and his future is uncertain this offseason. Then Coyles contract is up in two years so they really need to start looking soon anyways.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
we don't know what the jackets were asking for. assume you're talking a 2nd round pick for both olivier and peeke at a minimum,
based on their price for peeke alone.

Adding to that: cap constraint. I have no doubt Olivier would be a better addition, but they didn't have extra $0.3M and that was, imo, the major problem, not the asking price.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
heard he was part of the discussion involving the peeke deal. but bruins chose maroon instead.

From a cap point of view Maroon was much easier to bring in as him being on LTIR actually added a million to the bruins cap space, and as such they have been able to bring Beecher back. Obviously if they do want to activate Maroon, they will likely have to send Beecher, and maybe Lohrei back down at least until the playoffs start.

Had they brought in Olivier then 2 guys on the roster the last 3 weeks would have to be in Providence instead (Beecher, and maybe Lohrei I guess)

I am of the opinion Beecher belongs in the NHL and in the lineup every night

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
I think I'd low ball Lindholm in July and save the cap hit for 2025 class of UFAs. I'd then go hard after Draisaitl. As for my wish list for next season it would be.
Trenin
Oliver, Middleton ( it they're available via trade )

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think I'd low ball Lindholm in July and save the cap hit for 2025 class of UFAs. I'd then go hard after Draisaitl. As for my wish list for next season it would be.
Trenin

What are the odds Drai makes it to FA? You have to think Edmonton will go all in to resign him, and if they can't they almost have to deal him this summer (and Boston does not have the players to trade for him)

There are a handful of other potential UFA in 2025 (ie Marner, Rantannen) , but most will resign. Sure some of the guys in their mid 30s will make it to FA in 2025, but I don't want to make 24 plans in hope I can get Tavares in 2025

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Fair enough and maybe Maroon steps in and crushes it.

But from here, counting on a 35 year old who's still rehabbing a back surgery to be your physical for checking presence and backstop against heavyweights seems not worth the discount in trade value. Olivier's got another year on his deal too.

But again maybe Maroon's in better shape than I think he is
Maybe Jack Edwards will give us an update on his condition......

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Trenin

Edmonton as a franchise should fold up if they let Drai walk as a FA for nothing. That’s a career ending move for that front office imo.

I highly highly doubt he hits FA

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
From a cap point of view Maroon was much easier to bring in as him being on LTIR actually added a million to the bruins cap space, and as such they have been able to bring Beecher back. Obviously if they do want to activate Maroon, they will likely have to send Beecher, and maybe Lohrei back down at least until the playoffs start.

Had they brought in Olivier then 2 guys on the roster the last 3 weeks would have to be in Providence instead (Beecher, and maybe Lohrei I guess)

I am of the opinion Beecher belongs in the NHL and in the lineup every night
Beecher should be in the lineup every night , between Geekie and Freddy....

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
I get it, you hate every non bruin. Every suggestion people made at the deadline you complained about.

Would I prefer someone better than trochek? Absolutely. But as much as you don’t want him to be a top line center, he has been for half a decade now.

I’ve given you 4 names that are top line centers who have moved in the last 3 years. You said top line centers don’t move. Idk what to tell you, but they do.
Hoping Coyle and Zacha show something as top two centers in the playoffs this season. That will go a long way for me to see what they should do in the summer. Coyle hasn't exactly tore it up play-off wise since that fantastic 2019 run and Zacha's next play-off goal will be his first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad