Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion IVX-post TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I hope they don't.
Can't keep other goalies buried forever though.

There’s an argument to be made for keeping Ullmark and trading Swayman. The age difference is the big thing, but there’s no reason Ullmark can’t give you another 5 seasons or more of top goaltending barring a bad injury.
he has had 2 straight lack lustre playoffs.Have to think he needs a run this time

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bruins get heat for not having a " true " top line center but a free agent kid like Graf probably has a hard time seeing where he would be able to fit in the hierarchy of Bruins centers because of the sheer depth. Zacha, Coyle, Poitras, Geekie, Frederic, Beecher, Boqvist can all play the center position... tough spot for Graf to make an impact if he's looking to go straight to the NHL.

I don't know if Graf is a Center or Wing at the next level.

As much as I want him in Boston, I don't know if it will happen, obviously teams will offer him immediately playing time, and that may be the option he takes. I will say the promise of immediate playing time may be the best thing to get players signed, but it is not always the best thing for players to develop into NHL players. there have been some recent NCAA free agent signings who got their immediate jump to the NHL, and are now back to languishing in the AHL. Maybe that would have happened regardless, but maybe jumping straight in hurt their careers

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There’s an argument to be made for keeping Ullmark and trading Swayman. The age difference is the big thing, but there’s no reason Ullmark can’t give you another 5 seasons or more of top goaltending barring a bad injury.

I guess the argument is easier if Ullmark were less expensive over the next 7 years, as opposed to 1 year. Trading Swayman, with Ullmark 1 year away from UFA would seem insanity. I guess if Ullmark were to step in and have a monster postseason, then maybe the case becomes stronger.

I stick with Swayman for sure.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Bruins get heat for not having a " true " top line center but a free agent kid like Graf probably has a hard time seeing where he would be able to fit in the hierarchy of Bruins centers because of the sheer depth. Zacha, Coyle, Poitras, Geekie, Frederic, Beecher, Boqvist can all play the center position... tough spot for Graf to make an impact if he's looking to go straight to the NHL.
One year in Prov
Ya gotta earn it

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Do you have a plan on how you pay both goaltenders?

Sure , Don't sign Hanifin, and let Lohrei become first pairing partner with McAvoy, get a Physical #3 Defenseman for 3 million bucks. You've saved enough to afford both Goalies right there.

You still have plenty of money left for one big signing up front and then a mix of lower cost and young players

Reactions: HustleB and Gordoff

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Sure , Don't sign Hanifin, and let Lohrei become first pairing partner with McAvoy, get a Physical #3 Defenseman for 3 million bucks. You've saved enough to afford both Goalies right there.

You still have plenty of money left for one big signing up front and then a mix of lower cost and young players
And can I ask how much do you pay this duo ?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
And can I ask how much do you pay this duo ?

That's it. I think keeping them both would be ideal from a game standpoint, probably far less so from a cap standpoint. Maybe it's sustainable for one more season, but Ullmark is getting a raise after next year and that will be too much committed to that position- $13-$14m, maybe more?

Reactions: Gordoff

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

I'd rather they use that money on a legit #1 C.

$12-13 million wrapped up in two goalies to play half a season each is a lot.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Do you have a plan on how you pay both goaltenders?
Zacha - Poitras - Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - Geekie
Frederic - Merkulov - Lysell
Lauko - Beecher - Brazeau

Lindholm - McAvoy
Lohrei - Carlo
Wotherspoon - Peeke

Swayman/Ullmark

Not competitive enough? Okay. Because assuming Swayman's rumoured salary is true, this roster has $12M in cap space to add to it.

I keep this tandem together because I believe they make each other better. I think it gives the Bruins an advantage over the NHL in at least that position. If I can keep that advantage, I do it.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Same here, and 12-13 in goalies will be next season only, then Ullmark needs a new deal. Depending on what Swayman's contract looks like( $7-$7.5 does not seem out of bounds to me), Ullmark would get at least the same.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

I think the fact that either one could go down and we'd still have a top 5 goalie is underrated.

Depending on what's available/where they use the money I do agree I'd rather see them spend for a top 6 C, but hopefully not overpay for a guy like Lindholm/Stephenson

Same here, and 12-13 in goalies will be next season only, then Ullmark needs a new deal. Depending on what Swayman's contract looks like( $7-$7.5 does not seem out of bounds to me), Ullmark would get at least the same.
Wishful thinking but maybe they both take cuts to keep the tandem? I know I'd certainly consider taking a mil less to be on a team with my best buddy

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think the fact that either one could go down and we'd still have a top 5 goalie is underrated.

Depending on what's available/where they use the money I do agree I'd rather see them spend for a top 6 C, but hopefully not overpay for a guy like Lindholm/Stephenson

Wishful thinking but maybe they both take cuts to keep the tandem? I know I'd certainly consider taking a mil less to be on a team with my best buddy
It would be nice, but they already took Sway to arbitration so I am guessing he is not taking a penny less than he thinks he deserves on his next deal in Boston. I can't imagine Ullmark taking the same deal he is currently on, so I don't see how you avoid committing a $13M minimum to the goalie position. Maybe Sweeney decides it's worth it. There is a case you can make that having that is worth skimping in other places.

Dunno. Maybe it's just one more season we get em. But that to me, is better than zero more seasons.

Yeah, we're all just speculating here, and it will be interesting to see how the FO handles it.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
It would be nice, but they already took Sway to arbitration so I am guessing he is not taking a penny less than he thinks he deserves on his next deal in Boston. I can't imagine Ullmark taking the same deal he is currently on, so I don't see how you avoid committing a $13M minimum to the goalie position. Maybe Sweeney decides it's worth it. There is a case you can make that having that is worth skimping in other places.

Yeah, we're all just speculating here, and it will be interesting to see how the FO handles it.
I'll add a few things:

1. I won't begrudge management if they decide to deal Ullmark in the offseason. I'll miss him and I think it's a risk. But I get it. My opinion on this isn't popular. They'd better just use that space wisely and not a bunch of bottom-of-the-roster flotsam.

2. One may poke holes in how I've lined everyone up in my proposed roster above... But I can make a case for every one of those lines working as is with no additions at all. I think that lineup could be just as good as the one we've watched for the majority of this season - if not better. The $12M is not there to fill holes... It's thick, delicious gravy that we can pour on to the very top of the roster.

Point being that trading Ullmark isn't a NECESSITY in order to ice a competitive team next year. It COULD help. But it's not a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad