Prospect Info: 2023-24 Prospect Development Tracker

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
hfgraphh.png

to be fair to him, there's certainly a lot of drama around Bichsel which isn't encouraging for a player who's never stepped foot on NHL ice. It's not a great look but we'll see

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The Swiss National Team stuff sounds like their coach thinks "his" players shouldn't get special treatment, even when those players are legitimately special and have aspirations well beyond that team. And instead of accommodating Bichsel's reasonable needs, the coach threw an immature fit and cut off that relationship.

I'll be honest, I'm still a bit confused as to why Bichsel came over to NA at all this year. I think it's good he came over and got the experience, but it seems relatively early in his development to make a jump like that. He's a high level prospect, yes, but nothing outside of his size has ever suggested to me he should be on an accelerated development path.

I imagine he'll be in NA full-time next year. If that's not the case, maybe then we can have a legitimate discussion on how this affects his future. Otherwise, I think he got a taste of his future, and is now getting extremely valuable experience as one of the top 4 D on a team making an unexpected championship push.

Reactions: Hinterland

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
With the Stars slow development process, I suspect next year we will still be stuck with Suter, and they are priming Bish to get in the lineup full time in 25-26. If he gets a chance due to injury, I think he stays up like Stank and becomes our burly D man. I have a sneaky suspicion that he is as valuable a prospect as Stank, Harley, or Johnston. We were happy to trade Grush to get Tanev, because we knew we had a better replacement.

Reactions: LT

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
View attachment 857347

to be fair to him, there's certainly a lot of drama around Bichsel which isn't encouraging for a player who's never stepped foot on NHL ice. It's not a great look but we'll see
I think I might be the #1 proponent on this board for european hockey players - especially those from russia - i have zero time for a kid that thinks he's above his organization + club. Bitchsels a proven quitter. He's quit on the Swiss WJC team twice. He walked out on the Texas Stars to play in Sweden mid-year. There are red flags all over the place with this guy. I don't care if he had an out in his contract to go play in Rogel, he left the Stars organization and quit on his team.

I'm also the #1 ambassador of Decade of the Big Boy- which Bitchsel could belong to - but he hasn't earned my respect based on his off ice behavior so he's not allowed in the Big Boy Club yet

• Haha

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The Swiss National Team stuff sounds like their coach thinks "his" players shouldn't get special treatment, even when those players are legitimately special and have aspirations well beyond that team. And instead of accommodating Bichsel's reasonable needs, the coach threw an immature fit and cut off that relationship.

I'll be honest, I'm still a bit confused as to why Bichsel came over to NA at all this year. I think it's good he came over and got the experience, but it seems relatively early in his development to make a jump like that. He's a high level prospect, yes, but nothing outside of his size has ever suggested to me he should be on an accelerated development path.

I imagine he'll be in NA full-time next year. If that's not the case, maybe then we can have a legitimate discussion on how this affects his future. Otherwise, I think he got a taste of his future, and is now getting extremely valuable experience as one of the top 4 D on a team making an unexpected championship push.

I think this just his way of dealing with his complexes and the trauma of his own failure in the NHL. He's also a perennial loser as coach. Has been absolutely horrible at club level and even with the NT he won nothing but the one silver. Of course that doesn't help his complexes either. Just a sore loser if you ask me.

I was surprised as well but I agree starting the season in NA was important for both him and the Stars. Now both sides are confident he's on track to being a real NHL option next season. I feel like him proving himself was particularly important after that nasty injury he suffered. I don't know if he's gonna be a regular with the Dallas Stars next season but since there's gonna be quite a bit of turnover on the Stars defense I think that if all goes well they're definitely gonna give him some looks down the stretch. So I agree he's gonna be in Texas full time next season. This season was different because the Dallas Stars were loaded on defense, therefore weren't gonna play him and the Texas Stars were loaded with fellow defense prospects. That is about to change.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
With the Stars slow development process, I suspect next year we will still be stuck with Suter, and they are priming Bish to get in the lineup full time in 25-26. If he gets a chance due to injury, I think he stays up like Stank and becomes our burly D man. I have a sneaky suspicion that he is as valuable a prospect as Stank, Harley, or Johnston. We were happy to trade Grush to get Tanev, because we knew we had a better replacement.
Even if they bring Suter back, there are still upwards of three D roster spots up for grabs when Hakanpaa isn't brought back, Tanev goes to Vancouver, and Lundkvist is moved.

Reactions: Hinterland

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW

It is way easier for the team to get him guidance on what he needs to work on for NA ice and get him sorted out with a more NHL caliber training model when he's here instead of Yurop.

Probably just trying to treat him like an adult, which the SIHF didn't seem to want to do.

Reactions: LT and Hinterland

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Even if they bring Suter back, there are still upwards of three D roster spots up for grabs when Hakanpaa isn't brought back, Tanev goes to Vancouver, and Lundkvist is moved.
Great. Again, I have a sneaking suspicion that Bish will be ready. Some may depend on whether we win the Cup. Perhaps Tanev stays. Perhaps having won, they would be more willing to work in rookies and get on with the next version of the Stars, rather than hang on to everyone for "one more run" if they get close.

Ditto, I wonder if they will think Lundkvist will have improved enough based on his play to keep him around rather than "waste" more assets on acquiring a slightly better D man. And who knows, a rested Jani may play well in the PO and convince Nill and PDB that he should be brought back.

I think they would be hesitant, although not totally resistant to replacing half the D corp.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It is way easier for the team to get him guidance on what he needs to work on for NA ice and get him sorted out with a more NHL caliber training model when he's here instead of Yurop.

Probably just trying to treat him like an adult, which the SIHF didn't seem to want to do.

Bichsel also said in interviews that over the course of the SHL regular season he's had weekly talks with the Dallas Stars (though he didn't give any names). He said that it's been important for both sides to talk about his games and his progress in practices and off ice workouts. Those talks have been suspended now as both sides agreed it's best for him to focus on playoffs but the Stars were definitely still guiding and following him closely even after his departure.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
As long as the Stars go out and get ONE decent RHD who isn't tiny they can keep Nils.

The problem is, who do they target and who do they give up to get a long term one, not a 34 y/o who barely wants to be here.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

All I know about the European training model I learned from Rocky 4 and Vikings, and I think the results speak for themselves.

But is there much difference in development feedback? If he was talking to the Stars weekly while in Sweden, is that any different from how often he'd be getting feedback in the AHL?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
As long as the Stars go out and get ONE decent RHD who isn't tiny they can keep Nils.

The problem is, who do they target and who do they give up to get a long term one, not a 34 y/o who barely wants to be here.
Has Tanev said anything about not wanting to be here?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Has Tanev said anything about not wanting to be here?

Not directly, but it's fairly obvious he's going back to Canada.

Ottawa has already said they will overpay big time for him. There seems to be a lot of mutual interest between Tanev and Vancouver. Edmonton should be interested too.

I want someone younger anyway. Roy and Pesce are both UFAs, fill the same role, and are younger.

There are options.

Reactions: Dallasman

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Conventional wisdom says he wants to go to VAN, which in reality, has as much chance as us in winning the Cup next year.

That's different than not wanting to be here though. I thought there was some talk of him hating it here or some such. IE Carter in Columbus

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't think Tanev hates it here. I don't remember a single player ever complaining about the Stars as an organisation . At least not since Nill has been running the show. It just seems pretty obvious wants to go back to playing in Canada , most likely western Canada .

Reactions: Dallasman and LT

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I don't think Tanev hates it here. I don't remember a single player ever complaining about the Stars as an organisation . At least not since Nill has been running the show. It just seems pretty obvious wants to go back to playing in Canada , most likely western Canada .
why does it seem obvious? he have earlier quotes on it?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
All I know about the European training model I learned from Rocky 4 and Vikings, and I think the results speak for themselves.

But is there much difference in development feedback? If he was talking to the Stars weekly while in Sweden, is that any different from how often he'd be getting feedback in the AHL?
I don't know. I think it's always easier to talk face to face.

However, Bichsel really wanted to play for Rögle because of their skill coaches and, I believe that was the main reason, Max Bohlin. Just 28 yo but many see him as a future superstar coach already. Since this season he's Rögle's defense coach and probably one of the main reasons for Rögle's turnaround. Bichsel loves playing for him and Bohlin also managed to fix Lucas Ekestahl Jonsson on the fly when he was chased out of Switzerland in November. Rögle signed him and he, much like Bichsel, played a big part in helping to stabilize Rögle. Bichsel also wanted to play in Sweden because of the lighter schedule. Having missed lots of time due to injuries in recent years he said he feels like he wouldn't get enough training and practice time playing on an AHL schedule with lots of travelling involved as well.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW

A Rocky 4 is Stoli and Wild Turkey. Seems like a dangerous regimen.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I don't know. I think it's always easier to talk face to face.

However, Bichsel really wanted to play for Rögle because of their skill coaches and, I believe that was the main reason, Max Bohlin. Just 28 yo but many see him as a future superstar coach already. Since this season he's Rögle's defense coach and probably one of the main reasons for Rögle's turnaround. Bichsel loves playing for him and Bohlin also managed to fix Lucas Ekestahl Jonsson on the fly when he was chased out of Switzerland in November. Rögle signed him and he, much like Bichsel, played a big part in helping to stabilize Rögle. Bichsel also wanted to play in Sweden because of the lighter schedule. Having missed lots of time due to injuries in recent years he said he feels like he wouldn't get enough training and practice time playing on an AHL schedule with lots of travelling involved as well.
Are you related to Webster

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I think I might be the #1 proponent on this board for european hockey players - especially those from russia - i have zero time for a kid that thinks he's above his organization + club. Bitchsels a proven quitter. He's quit on the Swiss WJC team twice. He walked out on the Texas Stars to play in Sweden mid-year. There are red flags all over the place with this guy. I don't care if he had an out in his contract to go play in Rogel, he left the Stars organization and quit on his team.

I'm also the #1 ambassador of Decade of the Big Boy- which Bitchsel could belong to - but he hasn't earned my respect based on his off ice behavior so he's not allowed in the Big Boy Club yet

I’m just giving you shit because I really wanted to make that graphic. P-offs me son

Reactions: Satan

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I’m just giving you shit because I really wanted to make that graphic. P-offs me son
Sorry i just get so riled up whenever people say the B word on this subforum and act like he didnt walk out on his teammates

Beta ass bitchsel should read a book or two about kobe bryant

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2