Speculation: 2023-24 players that will need to pass thru waivers

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
i understand your point,
but these are challenging times for NHL rosters and marginal players
look at how guys are still unsigned like Dumba, Tatar, PSuter, Klefbom, on and on

anyway, the thread is about who will need waivers, not who will be waived

re NYR
they have 5 firm D guys, plus 4 most likely candidates(Gus, Jones, Mackey, Harpur) for only 2 spots (if all D are healthy)
EG is an over-30 UFA-signing on a near-minimum 1-year deal.
yes he is coming off a good season, mostly under Laviolette
also, he is kinda a 1-way player, and his last prior strong full-time season was '19

Mackey spent no time in AHL last season, is younger, bigger, maybe better rounded

if Gustafsson gets outplayed in Camp,
or if staff likes Mackey more, or would rather not risk Jones or Mackey
i don't see why NYR wouldn't waive Gus

as with any of the marginal vets NYR signed this offseason,
if claimed, 'no harm, no foul'
if demoted, depth for when needed

He’s retired

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
:bolts

Gabriel Fortier - Bottom 6 winger that had some flashes but didn't really stick. very good on the forecheck and still young enough to develop more. Probably one of his last chances to make an impression in camp.

Alex Barre-Boulet - Middle 6 winger that has offensive upside but hasn't translated it to the NHL yet. Had 84 points in 69 games in Syracuse and has all the tools to be an effective 20-30 point player. Lacks size and foot speed and this will likely be his final shot to crack the Lightning roster with 1-2 spots still open.

Philippe Myers - Big Defensive Dman that had a good year in Syracuse and even came in clutch a handful of times. Cap hit is only 1.4m so a rebuilding team could snag him for bottom pairing duties or even just as an extra body incase of injuries. Even if buried in the AHL his cap hit would only be 200k.

Sean Day - Fell off a cliff after a very good year in 21-22. Very likely he goes through unclaimed.

Logan Brown - Very possible he stays as a healthy scratch or 4th line duties with Eyssimont and Glendening, but all depends on how his camp goes and if someone like BB or Koepke force JBB's hand to send him down instead.

Haydn Fleury - With Hedman-Sergachev-De Haan on the left side, very possible Fleury is sent down for cap room (along with Myers). only saw 29 games last year and that was mostly due to injuries.

Zach Bogosian - With the emergence of Darren Raddysh, it seems Bogos time in Tampa is running out, rumors were he was being shopped during the offseason and still likely could happen before camp starts. Doubt he would be put on waivers but not ruling it out if others outperform him during camp

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I really dont think Ottawa will trade JBD. He is on a cheap 2yr deal and will be competing with Hamonic for the 3rd RD spot. Only thing worth trading him for is a legit 3rd line player or top-of-the-line 4th liner making less than 900k... which is a pipe dream.

I don't think Ottawa is too concerned about losing Thomson, he is arguably not in our top 10 DMen right now... clearly behind the 6 guys on 1-way deals + Sanderson, Kleven, and possibly Larsson & Guennette, too.

Eh, I don't think so. Very few teams (if any) don't have 7 better D. If a team grabs him they need to keep him on the roster, and I dont see many NHL coaches giving him a regular spot in the lineup. Management hasn't been complimentary to him in a loooong time, and its pretty clear that they saw him as the 3rd RD behind JBD & Guennette.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa tries trading Thomson for a 4th or 5th or fwd in a similar situation but Dorion has already acknowledged that they might lose him on waivers.

No, you're exactly right. He has impressive tools & talent but really struggles to process the game & play within a system at the pro level - let alone in the NHL
You underestimate the number of teams that will take a flier on a young defender. Lots of bad teams that need the injection of youth to see which guys stick. He’ll get claimed. Might he get cut again? Sure. But several GMs will assume Ottawa botched his development and they’ll want a shot at a former 1st rounder that’s still young.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Declan Chisholm from the Jets, but they probably move Stanley to make space to keep him
DC has so much potential and plays the game a modern defender should.

He should have gotten NHL games last year IMO.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Hoffman, Ghally and Armia will have to pass through waivers....

WAIT...i forgot. I don't run the team.
No point, none will be picked up.

Hoffman / Armia are not an issue. Hoffman is gone in a year and Armia can still bring value to the bottom 6. Gally is the big issue. If he's healthy, he will be a boat anchor in a couple years. I think LTIR will likely be mark the end of his career as early as this season. His body has taken a long of wear/tear.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Raphael Lavoie is the one Oiler fans are worried about. He’s a 6’4 22 year old who was ~PPG the second half of the year last year in the AHL. There’s a good chance he makes the team though

ngl, definitely a kid I'd want the Habs to steal if Edmonton tried sneaking him through. Granted, I'd be surprised if they didn't keep up on the team for that exact reason.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
if healthy ending Trailing Camp,
NYR will only have NHL rosters spots for

2 depth D, from among these waivers-required d-men
Zac Jones, Eric Gustafsson, Ben Harpur, Connor Mackey, Ty Emberson Mac Hollowell

at Forward, presuming Bonino and Pitlick break camp w NYR,
all of these F's may need be waived
Alex Belzile, Jonny Brodzinski, Riley Nash, Anton Blidh, Jake Leschschyn, Turner Elson

also G Louis Domingue
Doubt anyone touches the forwards. I could see a defenseman or two get plucked.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
For some reason I thought he had an extra year of being exempt but guess not.

One player who might not clear waivers is Jared McIssac, Dman, Detroit.

He’s that type of Dman, who when they finally get their chance in the NHL, they never look back… and everyone asks why they didn’t get called up earlier in their career, because they look like a veteran who’s been there 5 years already.

The type who gets accused of playing “up” to the competition but “down” to the competition.. Where they’re actually a better player against better players. Generally that happens because they think too much against lessor competition and just react against better players.

A lot of just really solid dmen have this issue. Nick Jensen had this issue. Finally got his chance and never looked back.

I’m going to guess Detroit will keep him as an 8th Dman to start the season, so they don’t have to put him through waivers, but we shall see. Usually those guys end up on waivers anyway, then end up sticking (for years) on that second team OR finally get their chance due to injury and play so well, they never give their spot up again.

The Canucks should be all over him if he’s put on waivers. It would be one of those chances they get to upgrade their unit with solid young players.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Seattle’s goalies are an interesting one. They have to try and sneak one of Dreiger or Daccord through waivers and I think it’s Dreiger.

McIssac has had too many injuries I think he makes it through.

Lavoie makes the Oil out of camp imo.

Zac Jones is a lock to get claimed if he’s waived.
For some reason I thought he had an extra year of being exempt but guess not.

One player who might not clear waivers is Jared McIssac, Dman, Detroit.

He’s that type of Dman, who when they finally get their chance in the NHL, they never look back… and everyone asks why they didn’t get called up earlier in their career, because they look like a veteran who’s been there 5 years already.

The type who gets accused of playing “up” to the competition but “down” to the competition.. Where they’re actually a better player against better players. Generally that happens because they think too much against lessor competition and just react against better players.

A lot of just really solid dmen have this issue. Nick Jensen had this issue. Finally got his chance and never looked back.

I’m going to guess Detroit will keep him as an 8th Dman to start the season, so they don’t have to put him through waivers, but we shall see. Usually those guys end up on waivers anyway, then end up sticking (for years) on that second team OR finally get their chance due to injury and play so well, they never give their spot up again.

The Canucks should be all over him if he’s put on waivers. It would be one of those chances they get to upgrade their unit with solid young players.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Yeah, he would be the 14th FW for the Jets, and he'd have to clear. Good call. Other than that, up front, it's a bunch of guys who cleared last year (Harkins, Toninato, Reichel)

Seems like they will keep 13F + 8D if Logan Stanley isn't moved. He would be the #7 and one of Kyle Capobianco and Declan Chisholm would be the #8D, with the loser getting waived.

Ville Heinola is still waivers-exempt, which probably seals his fate unless there are at least 2 trades /injuries.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
For Boston:

Patrick Brown
AJ Greer
Ian Mitchell
Oskar Steen
Jakub Lauko
Jayson Megna
Anthony Richard
Alec Regula
Reilly Waslh
Parker Wotherspoon
Daniel Renouf
Michael DiPietro
Kyle Keyser

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
As others have mentioned, Lavoie and Niemelainen are the most intriguing Oilers. There's a slight chance Mattias Janmark could be as well, depending on how cap strapped the Oilers are.

Lane Pederson could be as well. He's not the biggest name, but he got a two year deal from the Oilers and had 17 goals in 18 AHL games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad