Laval Rocket: 2023-24 Laval Rocket Thread

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I heard Paul Byron mention on the Sick Podcast that Benoit Groulx was the reason he developed and became an NHL'er. I believe Groulx hasn't coached since he left Syracuse at the end of 2022-23. Would he be an option for Laval? Are there better options? Or is Houle definitely coming back?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I heard Paul Byron mention on the Sick Podcast that Benoit Groulx was the reason he developed and became an NHL'er. I believe Groulx hasn't coached since he left Syracuse at the end of 2022-23. Would he be an option for Laval? Are there better options? Or is Houle definitely coming back?
Last Fall there was a lots of talk about HuGo looking to extend Houle, but I haven't seen anything in the 2nd half. We will know in a few days what happens I guess.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not making the POs once again, huh? Lol. Rebuilding teams should have the strongest AHL lineup.
Roy gets a pass last night for not having played in a month, but the fact that neither Heineman nor Farrell was able to shine down the stretch is not a great sign for them making an impact at the next level in coming years. Heineman could perhaps be a decent cheap 4th liner, Farrell is looking like a Dan Carr lite. Maybe AHL lifer with NHL 3rd line injury replacement stints down the road if there are multiple injuries.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Laval were WEAK at center nothing new there. I didn't get a sense of harmony or chemistry on any line in the last month or so.
Houle couldn't seem to make the parts fit properly. I think it was a bad mix of N/S and E/W players.

Reactions: morhilane

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
Anderson, Cederqvist, Norlinder likely not qualified.

I would not bring back UFAs Stephens and soft Maillet. Not sure about Durandeau.

Bourque is done, not even worth an AHL contract.

Ok with K as the backup goalie, unless we can find someone with a bit more NHL experience but perhaps who is no longer true NHL material anymore.

Condotta, Gignac and Bisson if he wants to stay would be my captain and assistants. Need 2 more high quality vets, preferably centers, not sure which ones though. Any ideas?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Anderson, Cederqvist, Norlinder likely not qualified.

I would not bring back UFAs Stephens and soft Maillet. Not sure about Durandeau.

Bourque is done, not even worth an AHL contract.

Ok with K as the backup goalie, unless we can find someone with a bit more NHL experience but perhaps who is no longer true NHL material anymore.

Condotta, Gignac and Bisson if he wants to stay would be my captain and assistants. Need 2 more high quality vets, preferably centers, not sure which ones though. Any ideas?

If Gignac stays at C, I would go with a vet C and 1 W.

Candidate I'd look at for C includes: Alex Barre-Boulet, Adam Gaudette, TJ Tynan, Seth Griffith, Cameron Hughes, Glenn Gawdin, Anthony Richard, Kalle Kossila (SHL), Ryan Spooner (KHL), Matthew Phillips

For the wings: Chris Terry, Logan Shaw, Max McCormick, Alex Steeves (fake vet), Chase de Leo, Riley Tufte, Xavier Parent (not a vet but)

Another one would be a tough guy if we don't keep McKay: Curtis Douglas, Jeffrey Viel, Kyle Clifford, Brennan Saulnier, Bokondji Imama

Would also look for a vet D who's not a disaster defensively in addition to Bisson: Phillippe Myers, Dan Renouf, Lucas Johansen

Would also like to see them go after local depth players (ECHL/AHL): Antonin Verreault, Israel Mianscum, Robert Orr, Pier-Olivier Roy

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If Gignac stays at C, I would go with a vet C and 1 W.

Candidate I'd look at for C includes: Alex Barre-Boulet, Adam Gaudette, TJ Tynan, Seth Griffith, Cameron Hughes, Glenn Gawdin, Anthony Richard, Kalle Kossila (SHL), Ryan Spooner (KHL), Matthew Phillips

For the wings: Chris Terry, Logan Shaw, Max McCormick, Alex Steeves (fake vet), Chase de Leo, Riley Tufte, Xavier Parent

Another one would be a tough guy if we don't keep McKay: Curtis Douglas, Jeffrey Viel, Kyle Clifford, Brennan Saulnier, Bokondji Imama

Would also look for a vet D who's not a disaster defensively in addition to Bisson: Phillippe Myers, Dan Renouf, Lucas Johansen

Would also like to see them go after local depth players (ECHL/AHL): Antonin Verreault, Israel Mianscum, Robert Orr, Pier-Olivier Roy
No room for non-talented vets unless they are for Trois-Rivieres. No contract or roster spot wasted on Durandeau. No Bourque. We need to develop talent.

I don't mind if Stephens is a possible fit for a vet scoring role, iut depends who else might be available.

With Condotta, Davidson, Tuch, Xhekaj in the lineup, we don't need a pure pucnher unless it's to keep as 14th F.

I like Bisson and would give him a one-year NHL contract so he doesn't bolt. With all the waiver-eligible Ds up top, I might start Struble in Laval and then see what happens. Possibly Xhekaj too if Mailloux makes the Habs. No need for Keeper types. We will have a good d-corps no matter what, with at least two of Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux joining at least three of Struble / Xhekaj / Trudeau / Bisson.

I'm fine with signing Kaskisuo to a one-year NHL contract to protect Dobes from callups, unless we find another NHL-experienced third goalie. Sign Vrbetic for Laval/Trois-Rivieres.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
No room for non-talented vets unless they are for Trois-Rivieres. No contract or roster spot wasted on Durandeau. No Bourque. We need to develop talent.

I don't mind if Stephens is a possible fit for a vet scoring role, iut depends who else might be available.

With Condotta, Davidson, Tuch, Xhekaj in the lineup, we don't need a pure pucnher unless it's to keep as 14th F.

I like Bisson and would give him a one-year NHL contract so he doesn't bolt. With all the waiver-eligible Ds up top, I might start Struble in Laval and then see what happens. Possibly Xhekaj too if Mailloux makes the Habs. No need for Keeper types. We will have a good d-corps no matter what, with at least two of Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux joining at least three of Struble / Xhekaj / Trudeau / Bisson.

I'm fine with signing Kaskisuo to a one-year NHL contract to protect Dobes from callups, unless we find another NHL-experienced third goalie. Sign Vrbetic for Laval/Trois-Rivieres.

The vets I proposed are all talented. Stephens is an option if we strike out for a better C, but I'd like to upgrade there and we can't replace both Maillet and Stephens with vets because we have so many prospects.

The puncher would indeed not play all game unless we get one of the premium ones who can also play well. I do hope we actually use TR this year and send the rookies who get benched too long like Davidson/Kidney this year down for a few games.

I disagree with you on the D corps, it won't be stable unless we can get some defensive help because it is heavily green and mostly offensive D who have things to learn defensively. Balance is important. We have seen the impact Xhekaj had as a stabilizing presence when he was down there and I don't see him going back down.

Hutson/Struble - Reinbacher
Bisson - Mailloux
Trudeau - Tourigny
is the current corps if we just stay status quo (I don't see both Hutson/Struble going down), keep Bisson and sign Tourigny. It is not good even if Norlinder somehow stays. Add Engstron and it is better, but a vet D would go a long way to stabilize it. We will get injuries and we know how ugly it can get so let's not keep it at the bare minimum at season start.

Vrbetic can go away, lost his starter spot again. Keep Émond and go after some UDFA for 5th/6th goalie.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The vets I proposed are all talented.

Agreed, I was referring to your proposal at the end to sign local no-name filler. I see you edited to clarify your inhtent to help TR.

Stephens is an option if we strike out for a better C, but I'd like to upgrade there and we can't replace both Maillet and Stephens with vets because we have so many prospects.

The puncher would indeed not play all game unless we get one of the premium ones who can also play well. I do hope we actually use TR this year and send the rookies who get benched too long like Davidson/Kidney this year down for a few games.

Agreed on both points. I'd keep Davidson over Kidney. as of today.

I disagree with you on the D corps, it won't be stable unless we can get some defensive help because it is heavily green and mostly offensive D who have things to learn defensively. Balance is important. We have seen the impact Xhekaj had as a stabilizing presence when he was down there and I don't see him going back down.
Hutson/Struble - Reinbacher
Bisson - Mailloux
Trudeau - Tourigny
is the current corps if we just stay status quo (I don't see both Hutson/Struble going down), keep Bisson and sign Tourigny. It is not good even if Norlinder somehow stays. Add Engstron and it is better, but a vet D would go a long way to stabilize it. We will get injuries and we know how ugly it can get so let's not keep it at the bare minimum at season start.

Hutson is probably in Laval so I agree we need defence.

Reinbacher is good defensively. So is Struble. So is Bisson. One of Xhekaj or Mailloux bring talent, size and AHL production. Trudeau is gaining experience.

Tourigny can be a 7th, but he is so small.

Engstrom is Montreal or Sweden.

Vrbetic can go away, lost his starter spot again. Keep Émond and go after some UDFA for 5th/6th goalie.
OK, whatever, you probably know those guys better than I do. I just want to protect Dobes from being forced up to Montreal if Monty or Primeau are hurt.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Agreed, I was referring to your proposal at the end to sign local no-name filler.

As I said, this is AHL/ECHL depth, meaning they are either in the pressbox to start the year or in the ECHL. Also, those aren't vets, they are all UDFAs from the Q. I think we should have more than last year and try using TR as a farm team instead of just a depth vet holder.

Our QC farm teams have to be enticing to Q guys who don't want to uproot to ride a bus in the southern US. Also considering how close TR came to folding, we need to keep the local element to bring people to the arena. Having guys that could actually move up instead of life ECHLer would also gather interest.

Agreed on both points. I'd keep Davidson over Kidney. as of today.

Both are here and will likely be part of the starting squad. It's more about the new rookies. If guys struggle to get time, send them down for a few games to get ther blood flowing.

Hutson is probably in Laval so I agree we need defence.

Reinbacher is good defensively. So is Struble. So is Bisson. One of Xhekaj or Mailloux bring talent, size and AHL production. Trudeau is gaining experience.

Tourigny can be a 7th, but he is so small.

Engstrom is Montreal or Sweden.

Xhekaj will not be down in the AHL and I would be extremely surprised if both Hutson and Struble are sent down.

I don't disagree with your analysis of the other guys, but it is clearly still a D corps that is way too green and similar to be efficient. And again, an injury or two at the NHL/AHL and the D corps fall to pieces and you have ECHLers in your top6. It's better for a guy like Tourigny to be forced into 6th-8th (or even ECHL) to start the year than to have him forced into the top4 a month in.

You also have to consider it is not unlikely guys like Savard/Kovacevic leave mid-season and at that point, it's pretty late to get a quality AHL D to fill the void created by everyone moving up.

Getting a vet D and some ECHL depth that you can call up is a need. Banging my drum again, but hoping they can get Laaouan back as I think he can at the very least be a quality AHL guy like Bisson.

OK, whatever, you probably know those guys better than I do. I just want to protect Dobes from being forced up to Montreal if Monty or Primeau are hurt.

If it's a long time injury, sign Kaskisuo (or whatever AHL vet we end up getting as 4th) to an NHL deal, if it's a short term, just call up Dobes. Vrbetic is not a guy you want anywhere near the NHL.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
As I said, this is AHL/ECHL depth, meaning they are either in the pressbox to start the year or in the ECHL. Also, those aren't vets, they are all UDFAs from the Q. I think we should have more than last year and try using TR as a farm team instead of just a depth vet holder.

Sure, no problem.

Xhekaj will not be down in the AHL and I would be extremely surprised if both Hutson and Struble are sent down.

If Mailloux (or Hutson) makes the Habs and we don't trade anyone, and we don't want to lose a guy to waivers, then Struble and Xhekaj might logically start in Laval.

Matheson-Mailloux/Guhle
Guhle/Hutson-Savard
Harris-Kovacevic
Barron

We could go with 8D but I doubt we would demote a $5M vet forward over a young waiver-exempt d-man who could still use over 20 minutes per game. If 7 up top,

Struble-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Trudeau
Hutson-good AHL vet
spares: Bisson, 8th d

If it's a long time injury, sign Kaskisuo (or whatever AHL vet we end up getting as 4th) to an NHL deal, if it's a short term, just call up Dobes. Vrbetic is not a guy you want anywhere near the NHL.
LOL, I meant for Vrbetic to be a 5th/ECHL goalie who replaces the AHL vet who gets called up to the Habs. It could be any other filler, not actually in love with Vrbetic.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Benoit Groulx would be a better assistant coach than a coach for Laval.

He’s one of the greatest hockey mind and bench coach but he’s not a great communicator

• Love
Reactions: Kimota

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I am not sure what qualifies a capologist to be a GM in any capacity.

also they can probably afford a guy working full time on the cap and another one taking care of the team

It makes no sense to combine those 2 responsabilities on the same person

Reactions: Tyson

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

JF Houle says he'd like to be back next year. Says he loves this organization and wants to continue the work they've started. There will be talks, but he's unsure of what the organization's intentions are.

His contract is up so if he stays, he will need an extension.

JF Houle says the AHL isn't made for a lot of coaches. Yu have ton constantly adapt and deal with call ups, injuries, and the arrival of prospects who need the playing time. It's a job with a lot of constraints. But the ultimate goal is to prepare players for the NHL.

He also says Dobes' progress really impressed him. To be able to become so steady after his terrible start to the season is noteworthy.

Reactions: 1909

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

JF Houle says it's not always easy to balance the ratio of young players we want to develop and veterans. It's normal for some vets to look out for themselves and not be as open to help the young players. It's difficult to manage sometimes.

He also adds that it is important to have good players in order to make it fun for the fans who support the team and players.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

JF Houle says he'd like to be back next year. Says he loves this organization and wants to continue the work they've started. There will be talks, but he's unsure of what the organization's intentions are.

His contract is up so if he stays, he will need an extension.

JF Houle says the AHL isn't made for a lot of coaches. Yu have ton constantly adapt and deal with call ups, injuries, and the arrival of prospects who need the playing time. It's a job with a lot of constraints. But the ultimate goal is to prepare players for the NHL.

He also says Dobes' progress really impressed him. To be able to become so steady after his terrible start to the season is noteworthy.

JF Houle says it's not always easy to balance the ratio of young players we want to develop and veterans. It's normal for some vets to look out for themselves and not be as open to help the young players. It's difficult to manage sometimes.

He also adds that it is important to have good players in order to make it fun for the fans who support the team and players.

Reactions: Dick Duff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad