Injury Report: 2023-24 Injuries Thread | LTIR: Brown, Sergachev | DTD: Johansson, Motte

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
RIP the season

DO WE EVEN HAVE OUR FIRST ROUND PICK IN THE DRAFT NEXT YEAR?!?

lmao. Miss playoffs and don't even get the decent draft pick

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Crap we don’t even have a serviceable starter. I caught shit all summer because I did not agree with the oath JBB has taken this team. I didn’t think the injuries would start preseason but here we are. We are still going to see some of the big guys miss time thru the season.

On top of it all back surgery and hockey is never a positive. At bay the Big Cat will not be as flexible and effective. At worst his career is over. Do not believe this return projection. Steve Sullivan was my favorite player a while back. He twerked his back trying to stay inside one night and was day to day for what seemed like a year. Finally had surgery took most of a year to get back on the ice and was never the same finally hung them up after a poor stint in Arizona. There have been loads of players that just did not make it back.
Called it! Give me my fake internet points everybody!

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
thanks internet stranger, i will defer to the actual medical journals instead
Actual medical journals will tell you it removes part of your disc from your back. It doesn’t grow back. It’s never quite the same. You can offset that somewhat by strengthening your lower back, but it’s still prone to stiffness/soreness after. There’s a great deal of athletes that aren’t themselves after the surgery.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Actual medical journals will tell you it removes part of your disc from your back. It doesn’t grow back. It’s never quite the same. You can offset that somewhat by strengthening your lower back, but it’s still prone to stiffness/soreness after. There’s a great deal of athletes that aren’t themselves after the surgery.
So basically we just lost our franchise goalie.... they don't just grow on trees! He was supposed to be our guy for another decade!

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
im saying your anecdotal evidence is irrelevant, and you should probably not post about it anymore. hope that helps!

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

No offense, but you aren't worth $100+ million dollars where you have access to the best physical therapists and surgeons in the world. While there is a chance he will never be the same, the odds are actually way less that would happen. He had the surgery yesterday, he should be walking today, should be in light physio in 2 weeks and back to working out properly in 6. The surgery is so minimally invasive that he should be walking and driving after surgery yesterday.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
No offense, but you aren't worth $100+ million dollars where you have access to the best physical therapists and surgeons in the world. While there is a chance he will never be the same, the odds are actually way less that would happen. He had the surgery yesterday, he should be walking today, should be in light physio in 2 weeks and back to working out properly in 6. The surgery is so minimally invasive that he should be walking and driving after surgery yesterday.
I don’t know what you’re trying to say. I know all of this.

Yes, you can walk right after the surgery. Driving not too long after. I’m not saying the guy is bedridden the rest of his life. Just that this isn’t an injury you typically come back 100% from. Will he play again? Of course. Will he probably perform fine? I’d expect it. Do I have concerns about his durability long-term and think there’s an increased risk for his performance to drop off? Also yes. This isn’t hard to understand.

im saying your anecdotal evidence is irrelevant, and you should probably not post about it anymore. hope that helps!
Go look up those medical journals you were talking about then.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I don’t know what you’re trying to say. I know all of this.

Yes, you can walk right after the surgery. Driving not too long after. I’m not saying the guy is bedridden the rest of his life. Just that this isn’t an injury you typically come back 100% from. Will he play again? Of course. Will he probably perform fine? I’d expect it. Do I have concerns about his durability long-term and think there’s an increased risk for his performance to drop off? Also yes. This isn’t hard to understand.

Go look up those medical journals you were talking about then.
I am saying the likely hood of that happening to someone who's value is $100M, in the top 1% of society is a lot slimmer than us regular folk. They have access to things we could never think of. I am saying the likely hood of this effecting him in his playing career is slimmer than is being perceived. Is he going to be the same Vasy in 6 or 7 years? Probably not, but the odds of that pre back surgery was slim also.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
f***.

If they can go .500 over the time Vasy is out, that should be enough for us to get into the playoffs by the time he comes back

I literally just texted someone and said we'll be lucky to go .500 while he's out.

I don't care how much we coasted in 2nd half of the season games. The difference between Vasy and whatever backup we put out there for 2-3 months is a f***ing canyon...even with the rest of the team trying. This is REALLY REALLY REALLY bad. Unless one of the tandem guys is an absolute diamond in the rough, I think we're in for a rough couple months coming up. And I think people are sleeping on the odds that Vasy doesn't play great when he DOES come back because of the injury/surgery.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I am saying the likely hood of that happening to someone who's value is $100M, in the top 1% of society is a lot slimmer than us regular folk. They have access to things we could never think of. I am saying the likely hood of this effecting him in his playing career is slimmer than is being perceived. Is he going to be the same Vasy in 6 or 7 years? Probably not, but the odds of that pre back surgery was slim also.
I don’t know why you think us regular folk get the worst surgeons.

My surgeon also operates on NFL players. I think the post operative care would be the biggest difference. Obviously I have a keen interest in this having gone through it, and have closely followed athletes that have had the same surgery. There are a few success stories (Zach Parise has actually played better + longer than I would’ve imagined) but far more non-success stories. Not that they don’t play again, just that their career is shortened (medical journals support this).

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I don’t know why you think us regular folk get the worst surgeons.

My surgeon also operates on NFL players. I think the post operative care would be the biggest difference. Obviously I have a keen interest in this having gone through it, and have closely followed athletes that have had the same surgery. There are a few success stories (Zach Parise has actually played better + longer than I would’ve imagined) but far more non-success stories. Not that they don’t play again, just that their career is shortened (medical journals support this).
I am saying treatments and doctors are better for rich people. Look at when Trump got covid, there are tons of examples of when the Rich get better treatment and doctors. Its really common. Goalie shelf lives are short as is, If this surgery means his career ends at 36 instead of 38, so be it.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I am saying treatments and doctors are better for rich people. Look at when Trump got covid, there are tons of examples of when the Rich get better treatment and doctors. Its really common. Goalie shelf lives are short as is, If this surgery means his career ends at 36 instead of 38, so be it.
You don’t understand! He’s had the same surgery. And he’s a Sabres fan. And it still shit him up. We’re doomed.

ps: NFL players dude.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Oh oh Coop gonna be mad at Weekes. Way too specific about where the injury is.

Anyway recover quickly Vasi. We be counting on you.
Imagine being told about a back surgery and a recovery of 8-10 weeks vs "upper body injury for an impossible to determine amount of time. Aw geez I just don't know guys. You really just have to tune in and find out. We really just don't know with this kind of thing. He had surgery but I just can't go into specifics okay?"

I wish we had more updates like this. Coop can get mad all he wants instead of us having to be treated like idiots when someone pulls a hammy

Hell I think we're lucky to even know now vs wondering why the hell he's not playing all preseason and finding out minutes before opening night

Reactions: StammerHammer

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Average goalies can do spells of solid goaltending. So if we can get decent goaltending for the first quarter, then we have a Vasy who got more rest, who should be aware of the importance of recovery and a backup who has shown they can do the job. That can be big down the line!

I don't see that as an unlikely scenario, even if it of course comes with some uncertainty.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I literally just texted someone and said we'll be lucky to go .500 while he's out.

I don't care how much we coasted in 2nd half of the season games. The difference between Vasy and whatever backup we put out there for 2-3 months is a f***ing canyon...even with the rest of the team trying. This is REALLY REALLY REALLY bad. Unless one of the tandem guys is an absolute diamond in the rough, I think we're in for a rough couple months coming up. And I think people are sleeping on the odds that Vasy doesn't play great when he DOES come back because of the injury/surgery.
Yeah I know I am hoping on a lot here. We are hoping on 2 unproven goalies to carry 1/4 of the season at best. Lets say if Vasy is out until Dec 31s. 39 games. I think if the team can get about 96 points, that should get them into the playoffs.

If the backups can get us 17 or 18 wins in 39 games, that would mean when Vasy is back we would need to win 30 of 43 games or so.

Its a tall order, but not out of the realm of possibility.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
He played poorly for most of last year, and we all remember the debacle that was the playoffs after which he said he was exhausted since earlier in the season. An injury from overuse perhaps?

Could be a blessing though, he'll get plenty of rest and if the surgery doesn't have any negative long term implications then this is just a minor inconvenience....assuming last season wasn't his new standard of play.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
You don’t understand! He’s had the same surgery. And he’s a Sabres fan. And it still shit him up. We’re doomed.

ps: NFL players dude.

We found that, in general, baseball players had the longest average career length after lumbar discectomy (4.8 years) [8], whereas NFL athletes played for 3.1 years [9], and NHL athletes played for 2.6 years on average after lumbar discectomy [17]. Two studies compared the career length after operative versus nonoperative treatment for LDH. They both found no significant differences in career length after treatment [10, 17]. In terms of postoperative performance, elite athletes who underwent lumbar discectomy were able to perform at 64.4% to 103.6% of baseline of their baseline preoperative level based on statistical outcomes. The variability depended on the sport played with hockey players having the largest decline in postoperative performance and football players showing a slight improvement in performance after lumbar discectomy.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Conclusion: National Hockey League players with a lumbar disc herniation have a high return-to-play rate regardless of the type of treatment; however, performance-based outcomes may decrease compared with preinjury levels. The study data suggest that a lumbar fusion is compatible with a return to play in the NHL, which is in contrast to other professional sports.

Key Word: MAY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad