NBA 2023-24 In-Season Tournament Thread

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1699037934786.png

Sep 19, 2008
4 group play games and the winners go on to the playoffs in Vegas. Doesn't seem to take too much out of the regular season and is just 4 extra games.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
4 group play games and the winners go on to the playoffs in Vegas. Doesn't seem to take too much out of the regular season and is just 4 extra games.
Only the championship game are extra (2 teams in that will play 83, rest are 82. The quarter and semi final games are part of the 82, the teams that don’t make it are all getting scheduled against other teams that didn’t when the matchups are set

Reactions: John Price

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
So who can name the other teams in your team’s group? I have no idea. The Sixers play Phoenix tomorrow so I assume Phoenix is in our group.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Fair enough I guess. Seems like the dumbest shit ever but I’m not going to tell you how to have fun
I like the NBA, and love the Lakers but honestly can’t stand it’s regular season, it’s incredibly meaningless since we all know every offseason who all of the contenders are and there’s very little in the way of surprise teams or intriguing storylines. At least with this there’s something interesting to follow at the beginning of the season, the format is still not as good or interesting as I think it could’ve been but I definitely believe the NBA needed something like this. I’m sure they’ll make changes going forward based on what works and what doesn’t in terms of both the on court product and fan engagement

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
I like the NBA, and love the Lakers but honestly can’t stand it’s regular season, it’s incredibly meaningless since we all know every offseason who all of the contenders are and there’s very little in the way of surprise teams or intriguing storylines. At least with this there’s something interesting to follow at the beginning of the season, the format is still not as good or interesting as I think it could’ve been but I definitely believe the NBA needed something like this. I’m sure they’ll make changes going forward based on what works and what doesn’t in terms of both the on court product and fan engagement
I can see where you’re coming from but imo I dont see it as anything other than a convoluted way to schedule regular season games. I wouldn’t want my team to play in the final and if they made it I would hope they bench their best players because it’s just an exhibition game

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Yeah it’s a bit confusing if you aren’t paying super close attention so I posted them all at the top of the thread
Tbh I don’t have strong feelings about it one way or the other. I’m sure things will get more interesting when we get to the knockout stage but in general I’ll watch the games I would normally watch, and there is usually at least one game worth watching on every night. I don’t see myself watching say, Charlotte vs OKC (if that even happens, just using it as an example) just because it’s an in-season tournament game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad