Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Imagine buying out Gibson or Fowler with 1 year left when they can actually get traded with retained salary or at the deadline…
The trouble is that Gibson will still have 2 years left next summer

So your post doesn’t make any sense. He’s untradeable and will be n issue a year from now. Can limp through this year with him as the backup

Fowler is less of a dire problem but also doesn’t really fit. Not sure what they do with him honestly

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The trouble is that Gibson will still have 2 years left next summer

So your post doesn’t make any sense. He’s untradeable and will be n issue a year from now. Can limp through this year with him as the backup

Fowler is less of a dire problem but also doesn’t really fit. Not sure what they do with him honestly
Some team will get desperate and take Gibson off our hands

As for fowler, we no longer need the tank commanders service

Zellweger Mintyukov and Lacombe are here and willl lead us to the promise land

Trade fowler to detroit aim at their 1st, and add if needed

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
If they are going to trade Gibson this is the offseason to do it. The UFA goalie market this year is TRASH without 1 real longterm starter available. Talbot may be the best guy available and he is 36.

Toronto desperately needs a goalie.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
If they are going to trade Gibson this is the offseason to do it. The UFA goalie market this year is TRASH without 1 real longterm starter available. Talbot may be the best guy available and he is 36.

I think a Marner-Saros deal makes a lot of sense, assuming they are able to convince Marner to waive his NMC.

Reactions: Kalv

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
If I were SJ I would trade for PLD along with a shit ton of assets, then buy him out. As long as it is a 1/3 buyout it would cost 15 mil in cash and a really reasonable cap. Its 3.8 mil for 3 years and 1.1 for 8 years after the contract term.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If I were SJ I would trade for PLD along with a shit ton of assets, then buy him out. As long as it is a 1/3 buyout it would cost 15 mil in cash and a really reasonable cap. Its 3.8 mil for 3 years and 1.1 for 8 years after the contract term.
Couldn’t kings just do that? I’d imagine it’s better for them to just do it, rather than pay the price to San Jose

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I do think a team will take a chance on gibson….

I’m sure kings will kick tires
-Leafs could sign him(woll is young and injury prone)
-Detroit could use him as a stop gap and mentor to their young goalies.

Devils/oilers/blue jackets could be interested

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The PLD buyout option is real tricky. The first buyout window opens 48 hours after the Cup is awarded. The playoffs will conclude no later than June 24, 2024. PLD turns 26 on, you guessed it, June 24. So depending on how long the finals go, he might be eligible to be bought out for 1/3 or maybe not. Maybe it's 2/3 of his contract value.

Obviously no team will trade for him now with the intent to buy him out. That's way too risky. But Blake still could if the timing fell right.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I do think a team will take a chance on gibson….

I’m sure kings will kick tires
-Leafs could sign him(woll is young and injury prone)
-Detroit could use him as a stop gap and mentor to their young goalies.

Devils/oilers/blue jackets could be interested
I hope you're right, but I doubt it. His contract and performance do not align in any way.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Couldn’t kings just do that? I’d imagine it’s better for them to just do it, rather than pay the price to San Jose
Depends on how they value their cap space. FOr a team trying to win I could see them taking the cap space over 16 years over 2 "late" 1st rounders or whatever.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Hey, our name is mentioned with his!
Foreshadowing?

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Someone needs to PhotoShop the office space movie when hes asked to come in on Saturday and Sunday.. Except the vegas GM asking Stone go on LTIR.. Okayyyy

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Read all about Marchessault's future!
"I thought about it all year... Anaheim..."

Honestly though, he has played a lot of hard hockey, he might not be very effectice next year if he changes scenery.
“ vegas and March aren’t coming to terms yet cuz March wants term” hell no to giving term to him. Agree that his body has a lot of hard hockey, and he’s to small. No more midgets.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
The assumption is players want to come here and I’m not sure that is the case at all without massive overpay

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Id just make Gibson our backup next year. Let him try to earn his way back to a #1 goalie spot. See if that sparks anything in him at all and then the following year if he still sucks either trade him with 50% retention or buy him out. I still have hope that he will get better as the team rebounds next year.

Reactions: Kalv and Yemeth

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Id just make Gibson our backup next year. Let him try to earn his way back to a #1 goalie spot. See if that sparks anything in him at all and then the following year if he still sucks either trade him with 50% retention or buy him out. I still have hope that he will get better as the team rebounds next year.
I agree he will get better and better as the team in front of him improves

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I assume gibson has 0 interest in being a back up, and would rather be moved to a team where he can start.

And there are plenty of teams that could take the risk on him.

Reactions: lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad