Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Stamkos' last three seasons he's scored 106/84/81 points. I'm sure if he wants a deal longer than 2-3 years somebody will offer it to him given his pedigree, even at 34 years old.

But again, what incentive does he have to come here? We'd have to offer him something crazy to even pique his interest, and if that's the case I wouldn't be interested.

Killorn's last two seasons with the Bolts', he's scored 59 (+1 rating) and 64 points (+18 rating). This last year with Anaheim, Killorn put up a mighty 36 pts and a -15 rating.

Stamkos
2022-23: 84 pts and -5 rating
2023-24: 81 pts and -21 rating

I can see Stamkos' points dropping and +/- dropping even faster in the negative direction.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Did i say 1 or 2 year deal? I have a hard time seeing any deal over 4 years. R year deal gets you 2 years where Stamkos is still the guy teaching the kids and then 2 years where presumably the kids overtake him. I'd prefer 3 years sure. Do you see him getting more term than that?

Also, pretty sure we handed the C to Neidermayer when we signed him.
First of all it’s no secret he wants to stay in TB. He’ll compromise to a point to stay there. If he moves on he could likely sign with a cup contender almost in his back yard. But maybe somehow that doesn’t work either.

He’s not desperate for money. I’m sure he will want to go to a contender. And there’s probably multiple teams that fit that bill to varying degrees. Money, term, and the specifics of the team/city will factor in.

IMO, he will not auction himself off to the highest bidder if that means going somewhere that won’t be cup competitive during his contract. Why would he? Why should he? So how much money and term do you think it will take to convince him to become a player/coach on a rebuilding team?

Given all the options he will have, I see no reason he would want to come here and we aren’t going to offer him crazy money and/or term to try and convince him otherwise.

Yes, we did make Scotty captain immediately. I’m still not in favor of it.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
His pedigree is not going to make him available on some one or two year cheap deal. And you don’t just hand the captain responsibility to a guy who’s never played a game for you regardless of his past experience.

He’s made a ton of money already. He isn’t going to finish his career in a dumpster fire like this for some short term overpay.
The Ducks literally did that with Scott Niedermayer and he got them a Cup the next season.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I don't think Stamkos is the best fit for the Ducks. He's got leadership and he can still score, but the Ducks desperately need guys who can play a complete game.

I'll be excited if he comes to Anaheim just because it's fun to get future Hall of Famers who can still score at a PPG pace. But I'd rather see them get two less renowned pieces who bring a full game and let the kids develop into the scorers.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Stamkos is still playing at a very high level. I was kinda meh on him coming to the team earlier this year but after a full season went by, I think this team needs something more than what they have to really get things moved in the right direction.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah that is the concern, sure he’d be a great add, but the cost may be more than what Verbeek wants. If we are going to go big, would try to get Reinhart but that’s a pipe dream. I think our price range is maybe like a DeBrusk, who I would love to add. Only issue is he is a LW, but think he can play both sides.
Reinhardt or trade for a necas who fits our timeline. We already have enough vets. This top 6 right wing should fit our timeline and be a player we’re very excited to be adding. To get the fan base more than just excited for 2-3 seasons of elder play.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
His pedigree is not going to make him available on some one or two year cheap deal. And you don’t just hand the captain responsibility to a guy who’s never played a game for you regardless of his past experience.

He’s made a ton of money already. He isn’t going to finish his career in a dumpster fire like this for some short term overpay.
Yeah last time we handed the C to a former multiple cup winner UFA who never played for us it wasn’t very effective. Only made the WCF in year one and couldn’t even sweep our way to the cup the next year! We lost like 5 games that playoffs! Pathetic!

Reactions: Hoooch

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Reinhardt or trade for a necas who fits our timeline. We already have enough vets. This top 6 right wing should fit our timeline and be a player we’re very excited to be adding. To get the fan base more than just excited for 2-3 seasons of elder play.
Reinhardt is going to happen and it shouldn't. Paying him 10+ mil would break our cap structure and honestly likely be an albatross at some point.

Necas is a pipedream unless we are moving one of our young forwards for him. Makes no sense.

We have the pieces upfront for the next decade. It's about giving them the tools and structure to develop into the players they should be. Part of that is surrounding them with the right players. Proven winners that work hard for their paycheck.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Reinhardt is going to happen and it shouldn't. Paying him 10+ mil would break our cap structure and honestly likely be an albatross at some point.

Necas is a pipedream unless we are moving one of our young forwards for him. Makes no sense.

We have the pieces upfront for the next decade. It's about giving them the tools and structure to develop into the players they should be. Part of that is surrounding them with the right players. Proven winners that work hard for their paycheck.
Carlsson is a pass first and second dude. Zegras doesn’t have the shot to be a 30+ goal scorer. Big Mac could be a 30 goal 70pt guy next season if things develop right for him. We desperately need a true elite goal scorer on this team. That’s not weak mental midget Terry. Terry is a 60-70pt guy that had 1 fluke high goal scoring season. None of the above players will make more or to much more than around what Terry makes currently for their next contracts.cap will keep rising The time is now for Reinhardt if he’s our guy. The forward verbeek brings in will help cutter develop properly maybe on the 2nd/3rd line instead of being rushed to top line duties

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Carlsson is a pass first and second dude. Zegras doesn’t have the shot to be a 30+ goal scorer. Big Mac could be a 30 goal 70pt guy next season if things develop right for him. We desperately need a true elite goal scorer on this team. That’s not weak mental midget Terry. Terry is a 60-70pt guy that had 1 fluke high goal scoring season. None of the above players will make more or to much more than around what Terry makes currently for their next contracts.cap will keep rising The time is now for Reinhardt if he’s our guy. The forward verbeek brings in will help cutter develop properly maybe on the 2nd/3rd line instead of being rushed to top line duties
I'm impressed that you managed to fit so many separate terrible takes into a single post.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Ya sorry man. We just disagree on basically everything you have said.

Carlsson being a pass first and second guy? Did you just read his scouting report or did you actually watch any games this season?
Zegras not having a shot? Once again, did you just read his pre draft scouting report? He was 2nd and 1st on the team in goals in his first 2 seasons and his shot was easily his most improved skill.

None of them will make more then Terry does on their next contract? It's actually a completely absurd statement. Casey Mittlestadt and his career high 59 points is likely to get what Terry got.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
What kind of contract would you all be willing to give Elias Lindholm? The more I think about it, the more he fits our roster, especially given the fact that his stock has fallen considerably since the trade. He doesn’t have the offensive talent as some other right shot forward options, but he can score goals, is solid defensively, and great at faceoffs. I’d definitely be wary of giving him a big contract, but I think he’s a legitimate option.

EDIT: Looking at him a bit deeper, his fall off is a bit concerning. I would be on board giving him a high AAV deal for a year or two if we strike out on some other options.

Reactions: lwvs84

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Ya sorry man. We just disagree on basically everything you have said.

Carlsson being a pass first and second guy? Did you just read his scouting report or did you actually watch any games this season?
Zegras not having a shot? Once again, did you just read his pre draft scouting report? He was 2nd and 1st on the team in goals in his first 2 seasons and his shot was easily his most improved skill.

None of them will make more then Terry does on their next contract? It's actually a completely absurd statement. Casey Mittlestadt and his career high 59 points is likely to get what Terry got.
Sure Zegras mac and carlsson at 8m per is reasonable, that means they kept maturing and developing their games as they should it’s on par with terrys 7m. I meant to infer they probably won’t be making Reinhardt money. Maybe in between Rein and Terry money. Zegras shot isn’t elite he’s more of a playmaker also. My point is, we definitely need another true goal scorer on this team. I also feel that verbeek is trying to build a culture of “ team friendly deals” so we can add a piece like Reinhardt and pay all the youngsters we still have.

What kind of contract would you all be willing to give Elias Lindholm? The more I think about it, the more he fits our roster, especially given the fact that his stock has fallen considerably since the trade. He doesn’t have the offensive talent as some other right shot forward options, but he can score goals, is solid defensively, and great at faceoffs. I’d definitely be wary of giving him a big contract, but I think he’s a legitimate option.

EDIT: Looking at him a bit deeper, his fall off is a bit concerning. I would be on board giving him a high AAV deal for a year or two if we strike out on some other options.
I could see that. The player we bring in imho won’t be a player with any injury history and probably won’t be Stamkos or marchessault given their age. I think if he doesn’t find the right fit age wise he tries and trade for this player. Ie necas.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Stamkos is not going anywhere. When player and team are on the same page it usually works out. But he’ll be available in 3 years. Might go on a Perry tour then.

John

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I know Stamkos is taking most of the chatter

But what about cernak? Some tampa fans feel he could be a cap causality…. And is kinda a fit for what we could be looking for.

His cap hit is 5.2 for 7 more years, which brings him to 33-34 age wise

Reactions: lwvs84

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I know Stamkos is taking most of the chatter

But what about cernak? Some tampa fans feel he could be a cap causality…. And is kinda a fit for what we could be looking for.

His cap hit is 5.2 for 7 more years, which brings him to 33-34 age wise
I like the player but that’s a very risky contract for someone that plays like he does while providing minimal offense.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I like the player but that’s a very risky contract for someone that plays like he does while providing minimal offense.
The dollar amount given the offense is a bit concerning but stylistslly I think he's a great fit. That being said he seems pretty unique to them and not easily replaced so I have a hard time seeing them move him. Especially as his cap isn't exactly hurting them. I think it's fans wanting to keep their more expensive flashy players at the expense of their good depth role players. He's one of the players why Tampa isn't Toronto IMO.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
What kind of contract would you all be willing to give Elias Lindholm? ... I would be on board giving him a high AAV deal for a year or two if we strike out on some other options.

Same. As long as the contract is up after the 2025-26 season, it's all good.

Reactions: Tokioduck

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Give Stamkos 3x9 and be legends. No one knows what he wants. Maybe his family wants to live in SoCal. With Silf coming off the books, he’s a net 4 million raise. No brainer.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Give Stamkos 3x9 and be legends. No one knows what he wants. Maybe his family wants to live in SoCal. With Silf coming off the books, he’s a net 4 million raise. No brainer.
If we are giving him that high of an AAV, there can’t be a 3rd year. Having 36 year old Stamkos take up ~10% of our cap when we have to give new contracts to Zegras, Carlsson, Gauthier, Zellweger, and Mintyukov is a risk that I don’t think we need to take. Stamkos isn’t my first choice, but if he’s willing to take a 2 year deal, then I would be more interested.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If we are giving him that high of an AAV, there can’t be a 3rd year. Having 36 year old Stamkos take up ~10% of our cap when we have to give new contracts to Zegras, Carlsson, Gauthier, Zellweger, and Mintyukov is a risk that I don’t think we need to take. Stamkos isn’t my first choice, but if he’s willing to take a 2 year deal, then I would be more interested.
Yeah agreed. Offer him 2X10 and see what Happens…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad