Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Oh i agree, i think he should start in AHL, especially if the goal is to be a playoff team.... find a guy to play with minty/zellweger.... have fowler play with lidstrom and let lacombe be the 7th.
The fact that he was with illness for so long, verbeek has an out to tell him “ hey you missed a lot of development time and I wanted to bring you to the big club right away next season but I think you should marinate first” given the illness. Luneau would definitely understand that. If verbeek does indeed feel that way. Big if though. He loves Luneau

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
He's also on the smaller side isn't he?
He is, but he's very physically engaged and plays bigger than he is. None of the top RH RW targets (Marchessault, Stamkos, Reinhart, Lindholm, Toffoli, Arvidsson, etc.) are particularly big, unless Necas is a legitimate option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
He is, but he's very physically engaged and plays bigger than he is. None of the top RH RW targets (Marchessault, Stamkos, Reinhart, Lindholm, Toffoli, Arvidsson, etc.) are particularly big, unless Necas is a legitimate option.
That's fair I guess. I suppose I just prefer Stamkos

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Color me skeptical. Verbeek (and Murray) have said they were going to do a lot of things that haven't exactly turned out as promised. I'll celebrate when top 6 RH winger and vet RHD are actually on the roster.

Verbeek did state that he's done "rebuilding" and we're supposedly in the "building" stage that we shouldn't be in the TDL sale again.

If we view that all Verbeek is doing is replacing a top-6F and a top-4RD who we lost at the TDL in Rico and Lyubushkin, then it's not a far stretch of a high possibility of acquiring those players. Question is are those two new players short term, mid-term, or long term players?

Hopefully, if Verbeek does add a top-6 RW and top-4RD, then they will be as good or better than Rico along with being better than Lyubushkin.

I personally think we're a year too early b/c we're still figuring out who our team is and is not. Carlsson didn't have that breakout season like Z did in his official rookie season. We have a lot of young d-men and we still don't know if there's a top-pairing in the group. Also, we are already adding Cutter to the top-6 next year and might bury Colangelo from reaching the NHL level.

It just feels all awkward with speeding up the whole process this past season for the youths that we might be burying some of the youths this year.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Verbeek did state that he's done "rebuilding" and we're supposedly in the "building" stage that we shouldn't be in the TDL sale again.

If we view that all Verbeek is doing is replacing a top-6F and a top-4RD who we lost at the TDL in Rico and Lyubushkin, then it's not a far stretch of a high possibility of acquiring those players. Question is are those two new players short term, mid-term, or long term players?

Hopefully, if Verbeek does add a top-6 RW and top-4RD, then they will be as good or better than Rico along with being better than Lyubushkin.

I personally think we're a year too early b/c we're still figuring out who our team is and is not. Carlsson didn't have that breakout season like Z did in his official rookie season. We have a lot of young d-men and we still don't know if there's a top-pairing in the group. Also, we are already adding Cutter to the top-6 next year and might bury Colangelo from reaching the NHL level.

It just feels all awkward with speeding up the whole process this past season for the youths that we might be burying some of the youths this year.
I see what you are saying, but I don't think it's the worst thing to have some healthy competition. It forces the cream to rise to the top so to speak. I think inevitably some of the young players will be traded.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
What do people think of Jake Evans? We could really use a right handed 4C that can win faceoffs and kill penalties (Stenlund and Carrick are UFA options to fit this role). Evans has 1 more year on his deal and I can’t imagine he would be expensive to acquire. Maybe we swap one of Lundestrom or Jones for him?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
What do people think of Jake Evans? We could really use a right handed 4C that can win faceoffs and kill penalties (Stenlund and Carrick are UFA options to fit this role). Evans has 1 more year on his deal and I can’t imagine he would be expensive to acquire. Maybe we swap one of Lundestrom or Jones for him?
I was thinking Lundestrom for Eller and Stenlund or Carrick for 4RW.

Reactions: duxfan1101

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I don't mind that idea, but I will admit that 2 of Eller, Stenlund, and Carrick will make our 4th line pretty slow.
That is fair. I never really thought of Carrick as slow. But the other 2 I'm not as familiar with their skating. Accari could be interesting too.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Lundestrom is not worth the amount in the qualifying offer. Let him go and some other team will pick him up for $1 million or so. That is his market value.
It didn't help Lundestrom that Murray 'may' have drafted him because he was a Center who defensively good enough (high floor low ceiling) to play games straight into the NHL to fill in while Kesler was recovering. Madden is quoted is as saying that they've been very successful when they pick 'their guy' meaning some picks were more on the GM. Murray rushed Lundestrom instead of letting him marinate in SHL/AHL.

I remember it being said at the time of his draft that Lundestrom was the most likely pick outside of the top 10 to go straight to the NHL given his high floor. I wonder if Verbeek will move on from him because he now has his own 'high floor' Center prospect in Gaucher.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It didn't help Lundestrom that Murray 'may' have drafted him because he was a Center who defensively good enough (high floor low ceiling) to play games straight into the NHL to fill in while Kesler was recovering. Madden is quoted is as saying that they've been very successful when they pick 'their guy' meaning some picks were more on the GM. Murray rushed Lundestrom instead of letting him marinate in SHL/AHL.

I remember it being said at the time of his draft that Lundestrom was the most likely pick outside of the top 10 to go straight to the NHL given his high floor. I wonder if Verbeek will move on from him because he now has his own 'high floor' Center prospect in Gaucher.

Murray rushed not only Lundy, but Steel as well. The reason behind that was the mass injuries to our center depth. I recall Getz and Kelser not there at times at the beginning of the season, which is how Lundy and Steel got their call ups. Lundy's defense was so advanced that he lasted longer than Steel to start the season.

Kesler's injury problem started after the 2016-17 season, where we went to the Conference Finals. Conflate that injury with F Eaves' health injury, after signing a 3-year extension and our talent level dropped faster than we can develop youths.

I think our coaching staff sees Lundy as our defensive stalwart. We did try him out at LW during COVD season, but injuries to our center depth happened again and Lundy proved his worth at center. This past year, we've cycled him from center to wing throughout the season.

Maybe it's a psychological thing for Lundy b/c when he was playing in Sweden, his offense shined each time he went back. During COVID season, before the NHL season started up again, Lundy scored 5g + 6a = 11 pts in 12 HockeyAllsvenskan games! (Swedish 2nd men's tier).

As for Gaucher, Verbeek said he's still a couple of years away.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
One of the main reasons I keep thinking we will land Necas is, that I think we will land pesce. Our 2 big verbeek free agent signings his first seasons were Vatrano and strome 2 team mates. This past summer killer and gudas ex team mates. He seems to like to bring in and target guys who have played with each other previously. Maybe he feels it’s easier to bring them that way. Necas is perfect for us. The only thing about him, if he’s upset that he isn’t being given a shot at being a center in Carolina, maybe he will be sour about being a wing with us? But beggars can’t be choosers I guess. So if that’s truly a hang up for him going forward then who knows. Also we have to many lhd, 1 or 2 need to go. Our Gm probably doesn’t want to lose that lhd for nothing. So throwing said d in as part of a package for necas( or maybe those bottom gritty fast forwards he wants to bring in, seem realistic. )

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Think Pat would have any interest in Marner?
Absolutely do not want to introduce Marner into a lineup without a strong leader with established locker room presence.

Every single member of the core 4 is not fit to be a leader on a cup winning team. An elite complimentary piece, but at this point all of them (especially Marner) can't be trusted. Keep Marner away from the Ducks (though the likelihood was low anyway).

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I would be very surprised if we land any of these target names that are being thrown around here. Roy, Pesce, etc.

We may have the cap room but do they really want to join this group? Little progress from last year.
I mean we got Killorn and Gudas last offseason. I’m sure we will have to outbid everyone, but it’s definitely possible.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I mean we got Killorn and Gudas last offseason. I’m sure we will have to outbid everyone, but it’s definitely possible.
Exactly. The deals could end up bitibg us but you can't blame the guy for lack of effort. He consistently targets the big fish and gets shit done. His player type has also been very consistent: the best competitors out of all the UFAs pretty much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad