Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Or those 32 teams 20 can’t afford that type of roster player for a bottom 6 roll. Of the other 12 half of them are rebuilding and won’t pay that kind of money for said roll player.
What kinda money are you planning to throw at
He turns 28 in may. If verbeek gets the sense that he’s more than just your plays amazing during a contract season player. Who will be a core piece going forward max effort etc. I go 5x5 he will probably want 6 years we throw more aav for 1 less year.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He turns 28 in may. If verbeek gets the sense that he’s more than just your plays amazing during a contract season player. Who will be a core piece going forward max effort etc. I go 5x5 he will probably want 6 years we throw more aav for 1 less year.
I doubt he gets that many years or that money

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I've been saying Dakota would be an ideal complementary player this year that we hoped Max would become, but I think his stock is too high now. He is also not a right shooter that Verbeek wants to add this offseason. We would obviously have to overpay to sign him, like a 4x4 contract based on what we have been recently dishing out. We need to do a better job drafting or UFA signing these types of profiles where it would be alot cheaper to grow in-house.

Reactions: Boo Boo

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
19M/5 years (3.8M AAV), 17M/4 years (4.25M AAV), 21M/6 years (3.5M AAV)...something along those lines is what I expected for Joshua, maybe a slightly higher AAV. Good third liner money

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I agree with both targets, but there will be a couple of trickle down effects. First, another RW means Colangelo is either in SD or on the 4th line. I am totally cool with him starting in the AHL next season, but he could be blocked for a number of seasons depending on who we add. The new defenseman may have more immediate effects. Verbeek has said Luneau will be in the NHL next season. He could obviously go back on this, but if he doesn’t, that would mean we have a right side of Gudas-UFA/Trade-Luneau and a left side of 3 of Fowler-Mintyukov-Zellweger-LaCombe. LaCombe seems like the odd guy out in this scenario. We weren’t afraid of healthy scratching him at times this year, but if he is the odd man out, it might just make sense to trade him while he has value.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
A Top 6 Winger, and a Top 4 RHD could certainly make them competitive, especially if the kids take some nice strides forward. Good to hear.
It was always inevitable that we were adding a top 4 rhd. “ that would block the kids “ news flash, Jaxon LaCombe and vaaks aren’t long term fits for us. Just to name a couple. Maybe one of them is signed by us though. And traded a little further down the line in a package type of trade

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Let’s be honest, we are bound to have a few injuries. Can’t we let Luneau cook a little in the ahl and bring him up when we have some injuries? The following year we can buy out Fowler. Moving Lacombe feels foolish long term when we have Fowler and Gudas which are clear stop gap solutions. I also feel like Lacombe has solid upside.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Top RH RW UFA:

Reinhart
Marchessault
Stamkos
Toffoli
Teravainen
Arvidsson
Lindholm

Top RH D UFA:

Tanev
Pesce
Montour
Roy
DeMelo
Walker

Top bottom six UFA (opinion)
Joshua
Foegele
Noesen
Martinook
Barabanov (hot take)
Carrier
Amadio

Big fan of scouring elite teams for their expiring bottom six guys.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Top RH RW UFA:

Reinhart
Marchessault
Stamkos
Toffoli
Teravainen
Arvidsson
Lindholm

Top RH D UFA:

Tanev
Pesce
Montour
Roy
DeMelo
Walker

Joshua
Foegele
Noesen
Martinook
Barabanov (hot take)
Carrier
Amadio

I would like to know what he meant by bottom 6. Because if we sign a top 6 RW, that would complete our top 9. So from my POV, we really only need 4th line players.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I would like to know what he meant by bottom 6. Because if we sign a top 6 RW, that would complete our top 9. So from my POV, we really only need 4th line players.
Depends on how you'd like to interpret Verbeek's words. He wants more production from his bottom six; some of that can conceivably come from in-house, but that didn't seem to be the tenor of his interview.

More light will be shed on that if we start renouncing some of our bottom six RFAs.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Top RH RW UFA:

Reinhart
Marchessault
Stamkos
Toffoli
Teravainen
Arvidsson
Lindholm

Top RH D UFA:

Tanev
Pesce
Montour
Roy
DeMelo
Walker

Joshua
Foegele
Noesen
Martinook
Barabanov (hot take)
Carrier
Amadio

Here are guys I'd like us to consider:
RS Forward
Stamkos - short term leadership and ability to teach the the kids how to be stars
Reinhart - all around player but long term commitment. Fits the Power killer mold
Boeser - younger potential cap casualty that we could trade for and utilize some of our abundance of assets.

RSD
Peace - top RD PKer that complaints puck movers on plays on the beat PK in the league. UFA commitment.
Roy - Similar to Pesce with a bit lesser of a reputation.
Ekblad - expensive but great results on the pk. Youngest of the 3 and costs assets but we have an abundance.

4th liners
Eller - Trade
Accari - Trade
Blugar - UFA
Stenlund - Trade
All of these guys have pretty decent usage on PK with some success. Interestingly in his limited minutes McGinn actually had a decent amount of success.

I'd be happy with any combination of 2 players from the top 6 I mentioned.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
What about Eller or Accari from Pit? Or Stenlund from Florida.
Eller has one year left (2.45 million cap hit), and Accari is signed for two more year (two million cap hit). This past season Eller played on the 3rd line plus on the power play and on the PK. He is a great two-way centerman and won a cup with the Caps.
Accari played on the 4th line centering Nieto/ Harkins and Carter this past season. He got hurt late in the season, and played on the 1st unit PK. Sullivan loves the guy, but this past season he was a disappointment for pens fans.
If they both start the season for the penguins, fans hope that Eller is the 4th line centerman with Accari is moved to Right wing. (Let him loose on the forecheck.) The penguins will give Ponomarev who came over from the Guentzel trade the first shot as their third line centerman.
Is their one young Ducks player who fans can think of who could help the penguins bottom six? That's what the penguins would look for especially in a trade for either player. (Mostly Eller).

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Eller has one year left (2.45 million cap hit), and Accari is signed for two more year (two million cap hit). This past season Eller played on the 3rd line plus on the power play and on the PK. He is a great two-way centerman and won a cup with the Caps.
Accari played on the 4th line centering Nieto/ Harkins and Carter this past season. He got hurt late in the season, and played on the 1st unit PK. Sullivan loves the guy, but this past season he was a disappointment for pens fans.
If they both start the season for the penguins, fans hope that Eller is the 4th line centerman with Accari is moved to Right wing. (Let him loose on the forecheck.) The penguins will give Ponomarev who came over from the Guentzel trade the first shot as their third line centerman.
Is their one young Ducks player who fans can think of who could help the penguins bottom six? That's what the penguins would look for especially in a trade for either player. (Mostly Eller).
Got the idea from the main Trade board. I was thinking Lundestrom could be a fit there. They get younger and we get someone more proven in the bottom 6 to compliment the young top 9.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
We currently have almost $43m of cap space for next year so we have the coin to throw around.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
With PV saying he's adding a top 4 RD, it seems clear that Luneau will not be starting in the NHL next season as there's no space. Fowler, Gudas, Mintyukov, Zellweger, and the new RD will all play. Only one spot left with another as the 7th.

At least one of Lindstrom, LaCombe, and Vaakanainen will have to go as there's no room. IMO, all of them have some trade value with LaCombe obviously the most. It seems reasonable one of those three will be used in a trade this summer.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
With PV saying he's adding a top 4 RD, it seems clear that Luneau will not be starting in the NHL next season as there's no space. Fowler, Gudas, Mintyukov, Zellweger, and the new RD will all play. Only one spot left with another as the 7th.

At least one of Lindstrom, LaCombe, and Vaakanainen will have to go as there's no room. IMO, all of them have some trade value with LaCombe obviously the most. It seems reasonable one of those three will be used in a trade this summer.
My guess would be Vaaks. Lacomb is younger, and they started playing him the PK and less injury history. Take Vaaks and try and find a bottom 6 upgrade that can PK or maybe part of a bigger deal for one of the RS players we want. Though honestly I think UFA is the obvious choice for both of those holes.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Here are guys I'd like us to consider:
RS Forward
Stamkos - short term leadership and ability to teach the the kids how to be stars
Reinhart - all around player but long term commitment. Fits the Power killer mold
Boeser - younger potential cap casualty that we could trade for and utilize some of our abundance of assets.

RSD
Peace - top RD PKer that complaints puck movers on plays on the beat PK in the league. UFA commitment.
Roy - Similar to Pesce with a bit lesser of a reputation.
Ekblad - expensive but great results on the pk. Youngest of the 3 and costs assets but we have an abundance.

4th liners
Eller - Trade
Accari - Trade
Blugar - UFA
Stenlund - Trade
All of these guys have pretty decent usage on PK with some success. Interestingly in his limited minutes McGinn actually had a decent amount of success.

I'd be happy with any combination of 2 players from the top 6 I mentioned.
Reinhart and ekblad are pipe dreams

Reactions: McDonald19

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Top RH RW UFA:

Reinhart
Marchessault
Stamkos
Toffoli
Teravainen
Arvidsson
Lindholm

Top RH D UFA:

Tanev
Pesce
Montour
Roy
DeMelo
Walker

Joshua
Foegele
Noesen
Martinook
Barabanov (hot take)
Carrier
Amadio

left handed

Oct 18, 2011
Based on Verbeeks comments who fits the criteria of a right shot top 6 forward and top 4 d that we can sign or might be for trade.

I'm going presume we will target a wing and not a center

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad