2023-24 Frank J. Selke Trophy finalists: Aleksander Barkov, Auston Matthews, Jordan Staal

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I don’t get the Staal nomination. Dude had 30 points in 80 games. Did the league ran out of options?

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
It's weird how many people (Leafs homers) think Matthews is elite defensively.
I don't pay enough attention to Matthews defensively to say that, tbh.

Penalty killing is a coaches decision and being good at it isn’t the same as being good defensively 5v5, but it’s still an important defensive role. You can be known as a strong defensive forward and not PK, but if you’re naming the forward who had the best defensive season, they should probably PK regularly.
I have no problem with the idea that pking should be a criteria for the award. As you said, I think it's just a different beast than 5 on 5 defense

Reactions: Regal

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Can you really take any award that the media votes on seriously?

The voting should be done by the players or coaches and GMs.

Just so the media doesn't feel left out create a Media top player award so they can all stroke each other off on who they think is the best player.

Reactions: JAK and dukeofjive

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Can you really take any award that the media votes on seriously?

The voting should be done by the players or coaches and GMs.

Just so the media doesn't feel left out create a Media top player award so they can all stroke each other off on who they think is the best player.

When Matthews wins the Pearson award, you're going to be singing a different tune.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
When Matthews wins the Pearson award, you're going to be singing a different tune.
That's the real MVP trophy. Matthews already won it and he deserved it that year but if the players voted on the Selke I don't think he finishes top 3 in voting this year.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
That's the real MVP trophy. Matthews already won it and he deserved it that year but if the players voted on the Selke I don't think he finishes top 3 in voting this year.

Not sure about that, considering that the players who have been in contention for this award in the immediate past have sated on the record that Matthews deserves to be in that conversation.

But you know, everyone is free to get bent out of shape about a player who is perennially among the best defensive players in the league, who excels in the defensive statistics that are traditionally tracked, and more so on the advanced stats, being considered among the best defensive players.

Meh

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
One guy happens to be the best goal scorer in the game while being elite defensively, not like the other. Say what you want about the Leafs failing in the playoffs, but people are exposing themselves by trying to take a shot at Matthews game.
Matthews can be really, really good defensively. But not the same season as he is the best darn goalscorer there is.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Has there ever been a Selke trophy finalist who wasn't in the top five in PK TOI (among forwards) on his own team? I'm struggling to find even one example.

Datsyuk off the top of my head, not sure if he was outside of the top 5 all 4 Selkes (just checked one year and he was 6th behind Filpulla) but he was never a main PK option.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
Top 10 defensive ratings amongst forwards according to hockeystatcards:

1714936297741.jpeg

Defensive Rating: A weighted combination of blocked shots, faceoffs, penalties taken, expected goals against impact at five-on-five, goals against impact at five-on-five, penalty kill impact and usage.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
We all remember the Toronto media giving Matthews an undeserved Hart, looks like they really wanna give him an undeserved Selke :laugh:

The guy is the last person back in the defensive zone and floats after giving the puck away.

• Haha
Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad