Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Chris Tanev

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrei Kuzmenko

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Let me know if i ommitted anyone that should be an option.

A lot of solid options for who the flames MVP should be.

The main candidates imo..

Nazem Kadri.
- leads the team in points with an 11 points gap over 2nd place, also 3rd in goals on the team. This is his 2nd most productive season of his career.

Blake Coleman.
- Shattered his career high in goals and points. 11 more goals and 14 more points than his 2nd best season. He has the 3rd most points and most goals on the team (tied with Sharangovich), leads the team in even strength goals, shorthanded goals (which is 4th best in the league), and leads the team in +/- at 18. For reference, his linemate all year in Backlund, is a +1. After Backlund, he is the most defensively responsible forward on the team.

Makenzie Weegar
- is 4th in points and goals on the team and has a 13 points lead over the next best defenseman. Leaguewide , he is 15th in points and tied for 2nd most goals, just 1 short of tying for the lead. This is while being solid defensively for a large part of the season. Possible he gets a few Norris votes thrown his way.

Noah Hanifin
- though it's definitely debatable, some flames fans would say he was the best defenseman on the team before he was traded. At the time his production was neck and neck with Weegar, while being more defensively responsible and facing the hardest matchups. He is still 3rd on the team in +/- while Andersson and Weegar are a -10 and +2.

Jacob Markstrom
- From the beginning of the season to the trade deadline, he was a legitimate Vezina candidate and was in the top 10 in sv%. And just watching him during that timeframe there was rarely a time where he wasn't the best player for the flames. He was making incredible saves nearly every game.

Unfortunately, this is MVP for a full season, so his play afterward the trade deadline with Tanev and Hanifin gone has to be taken into account. Since then, his stats have plummeted where he currently sits 31st in sv% among goalies with 20+ games.

That being said, his advanced stats are still really good, just not Vezina calibre. He currently sits at 12th for goals saved above expected per 60 and 18th for high danger unblocked shot attempt sv% (min 20 GP.

HMs

Chris Tanev, who despite his early exit, still leads all defenseman on the team in +/- despite only 14 points, which speaks to his defensive prowess. His absence was felt when he was traded.

Sharangovich, who also broke career highs and is 2nd on the team in points and tied with Coleman for most goals. Is also just behind Coleman in shorthanded and even strength goals. One of the most versatile players on the team, capable of playing winger and center at a pretty good level

Andersson, pretty underrated player and for a time was just behind Hanifin and Weegar in points production and averages the most time on ice on the team (just slightly ahead of Hanifin)

And ofc Backlund. Plays in all situations, and the best defensive forward on the team.

Last edited:

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
That team is in the basement without Markstrom standing on his head early on. Weegar is the only other realistic candidate

Reactions: Conbon

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Probably Pospisil since he's the only one I see highlights for.

(Real answer is Weegar)

BurnabyJoe7

Derek Ryan is a top 6 forward change my mind
Apr 12, 2019
Where's the kuzmenko option?

Weegar for sure following the last few months, although this team is only as good as their goaltending. Makes you wonder how Markstrom would fair on a team like the avs or oilers who are weak in net.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Where's the kuzmenko option?

Weegar for sure following the last few months, although this team is only as good as their goaltending. Makes you wonder how Markstrom would fair on a team like the avs or oilers who are weak in net.
If he was on the team longer I would have added him. But he's shown himself to be arguably our most talented offensive player since his arrival.

Maybe I'll add him anyways.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Markstrom having the bounceback year maybe. But i'd probably just lean toward Sharangovich. He's been a bright spot on the season for the Flames i think, in a year that hasn't have a lot of bright spots.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Happy to see Weegar doing well, always admired his path to the NHL as a 7th rounder. He's about to possibly complete a 20 goal, 50 pt campaign, both career highs.
Hell of a player and he gets my totally biased pick.

Reactions: Felidae

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It’s Weegar imo. Since the tdl markstrom’s stats are significantly worse than wolf’s. He had an amazing 2 and a half month stretch or so but he was trash or meh besides that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad