B-Sens 2023-24 Belleville Senators

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

David Bell on the radio. Summary on some of the prospects:

- Ostapchuk not out long-term but won’t play tonight
- Halliday has a lot of upside, keeps getting better and better. Elite on the PP, starting to play him more during the last 5 minutes because he’s responsible.
- Kleven is close to NHL ready, has to continue to play well and have a big summer but he’s knocking on the door
- Says hard for him to evaluate goalies but Sogaard dominates at the AHL level, showing he can play a lot of games and hold up
- He is a big fan of Ostapchuk. They asked him if Nick Paul is a good comparison and he said yes, but he thinks Ostapchuk has better hands, is a better centre and has higher upside.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

David Bell on the radio. Summary on some of the prospects:

- Ostapchuk not out long-term but won’t play tonight
- Halliday has a lot of upside, keeps getting better and better. Elite on the PP, starting to play him more during the last 5 minutes because he’s responsible.
- Kleven is close to NHL ready, has to continue to play well and have a big summer but he’s knocking on the door
- Says hard for him to evaluate goalies but Sogaard dominates at the AHL level, showing he can play a lot of games and hold up
- He is a big fan of Ostapchuk. They asked him if Nick Paul is a good comparison and he said yes, but he thinks Ostapchuk has better hands, is a better centre and has higher upside.
Nice to have David give some scouting reports... No more Dorion, no more final straw.
\

Reactions: Icelevel

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If you have followed the NHL for a while, I don't know how you can look at Egor Sokolov and think he has any kind of NHL future. I have been saying for like 3 years that he wouldn't be more than a cup-of-coffee guy... It sucks because he seems like a really deserving guy

The guys with a possible NHL future in Belleville are Crookshank, Ostapchuk, Jarventie, Halliday, Kleven, Guenette and the goalies. Pettersson and Reinhardt could also play a bunch of games on a 4th line

Don't see anyone else with a significant NHL future outside of maybe a few games due to injuries/rebuild

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
If you have followed the NHL for a while, I don't know how you can look at Egor Sokolov and think he has any kind of NHL future. I have been saying for like 3 years that he wouldn't be more than a cup-of-coffee guy... It sucks because he seems like a really deserving guy

The guys with a possible NHL future in Belleville are Crookshank, Ostapchuk, Jarventie, Halliday, Kleven, Guenette and the goalies. Pettersson and Reinhardt could also play a bunch of games on a 4th line

Don't see anyone else with a significant NHL future outside of maybe a few games due to injuries/rebuild
Outside of who you have listed, the players that have some intrigue for me include Bongiovanni, Pilon & Rees. All 3 seem to be really more AHL level players than potential NHL'ers.

That said, Bongio scored 8 goals in 14 games, is still relatively young at 24.
Small sample size but that is impressive. Translates to 41 goals (in a 72-game AHL season).
Plus the name.

Rees was a 2nd round pick to Carolina. Had great numbers in OHL and then had good number in his first couple of years of AHL. Then he fell right off this year. Has not done much in Belleville since coming over but also still relatively young at 23 and you would guess they seem as a reclamation project. Otherwise, why give up a draft pick for him?

Pilon has arguably been Belleville's best forward this year, including in the playoffs so far.
He's a little older at 26 and is now UFA but would be good to bring him back on a 2-way deal and give him some games next year with the big club to see what he can do.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Outside of who you have listed, the players that have some intrigue for me include Bongiovanni, Pilon & Rees. All 3 seem to be really more AHL level players than potential NHL'ers.

Small sample size but that is impressive. Translates to 41 goals (in a 72-game AHL season).
Plus the name.

Rees was a 2nd round pick to Carolina. Had great numbers in OHL and then had good number in his first couple of years of AHL. Then he fell right off this year. Has not done much in Belleville since coming over but also still relatively young at 23 and you would guess they seem as a reclamation project. Otherwise, why give up a draft pick for him?

Pilon has arguably been Belleville's best forward this year, including in the playoffs so far.
He's a little older at 26 and is now UFA but would be good to bring him back on a 2-way deal and give him some games next year with the big club to see what he can do.
Pilon can almost certainly get more NHL games if thats his goal, but he may need to sacrifice stability & up front $ to do so. Might make more sense for him to just o overseas and be a top player/local hero for half a decade.

Rees has the tools for sure. Whether he's got the tools to recover from a stagnant few years, IDK.

I'm repeating myself, but I essentially wrote him off for the medium-term future (ie his future in our org) when he mentioned he'd been watching tape of Thompson & Wheeler this summer.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
NHL potential:
1. Kleven LD - he has the skillset Ott needs & wants, made for the playoffs
2. Ostapchuk C/LW - he plays the game the right way & made for the playoffs
3. Sogaard G - has to be much more consistent & better
4. Guennette RD - right shot D with size who can produce pts is valuable
5. Halliday C - big, skilled Centre who can move up the lineup is valuable

Outside Shot:
6. Sokolov RW - big skilled right shot point producing winger is valuable
7. Jarventie LW - has the size & skillset, not sure he is tough enough for the NHL
8. Crookshank LW - Joseph, Kelly, Ostapchuk & IMO Jarventie are all ahead of him
9. Petersson RW - good size right shot winger is valuable
10. Boucher RW - if he can ever stay healthy, has the skillset & toughness

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Belleville Sens Game Day Build-Up
May.3/24 vs Cleveland Monsters (AHL Affiliate: Columbus Blue Jackets)
2024 Calder Cup Playoffs North Division Semi-Finals – Game 2 of 5 (Belleville leads 1-0)

The Set-Up:

With a Game One win under their belts and after taking advantage of starting the series on home ice, the Belleville Senators will continue their American Hockey League North Division Semi-Final with the Cleveland Monsters tonight, looking for one more critical win before the series shifts to Ohio. Egor Sokolov and Angus Crookshank led the offence on Wednesday night and Mads Sogaard was his steady self in goal, as the B-Sens edged the top-seeded Monsters 2-1 to draw first blood in the best-of-five series. Tonight, Belleville will look to stick to its playoff motto ofplaying “hard, heavy, fast hockey” and rely on its boisterous CAA Arena supporters for an extra boost, as it handles an expected pushback from a Cleveland team that’s now no-longer rusty, and ready to prove why it finished atop the North after 72 games.

Previous History:

Belleville’s Game One win was their second against Cleveland in five times out this season, after posting a regular season mark against the Monsters of 1-3-0-0. Belleville finished only six points back of Cleveland at the end of the regular season and the tightness in the standings was reflected in the opening match of the series, with both teams playing a close, physical, low-scoring game. Belleville’s regular season lifetime record against Cleveland is 12-14-0-2 and 7-5-0-2 at home.

Roster Notes:

Belleville may have to make one change to its lineup, after rookie forward Zack Ostapchuk left Game One with an injury in the first period. Should he not dress, it would leave room for one of Belleville’s extra healthy players to get some playoff action, so we could see any of Tarun Fizer, Kyle Betts, Jamieson Rees, Brennan Saulnier, Graham McPhee, or Oskar Pettersson draw in. Tomas Hamara and Ryan MacKinnon are Belleville’s extra blueliners. Full lineup details, including this afternoon’s alignment, will be available before puck drop via the B-Sens social media channels (@BellevilleSens).

Who to Watch:

After Belleville’s leading point-getter Garrett Pilon carried the load through Round One, the guy who finished right behind him in the team scoring race came to life to start Round Two. Angus Crookshank scored the game-winning goal on Wednesday, smashing a one-timer to score his first of the playoffs, while also recording a team-high four shots on goal. Egor Sokolov also notched his first of the playoffs in Game One of the series and had three shots on net.

Josh Dunne was the only Monsters player to find the net in the opening game of the series, getting a tight deflection to go up over the shoulder of Mads Sogaard, on the power play. The undrafted 25-year-old was pointless against Belleville in the regular season, but put up eight points (three goals, five assists) in seven games against the Senators in 2022-23.

Follow the action:

Tonight’s game begins at 7:00 p.m. (ET) and can be seen on AHL TV, or heard free on the Belleville Sens Entertainment Network, with pregame coverage beginning at 6:45 p.m. (ET), with David Foot, Tim Durkin and Brock Ormond. Fans can also listen via TSN 1200 Radio, either in the Ottawa area or online, as they join coverage just ahead of puck drop.

Abo

1714777252348.png

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Poor defensive effort from Guennette and Larsson. Not Sogaard's fault at all.

Good action so far. Back and forth. Big penalty kill for the Sens just now. They looked solid. Didn't give Cleveland much room.

I don't like when Sogaard comes out of the net to play the puck. It feels like a disaster waiting to happen just about every time.

Great forecheck from Boko causes the turn over and Cole Reinhart slides it in.

2-1 Belleville.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel and DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Bonjo scored again... assisted by Halliday, here's the duo :

1714779979460.png

Plus the name.

Maybe they get a cup-of-coffee ala Rourke Chartier or Jake Lucchini but a NHL career? I'd be very surprised. In Rees' case, he should definitely be a legit NHL prospect but not sure what happened to him this season. That kind of regression isn't usually encouraging when he actually should have been closer to PPG. I wasn't a big fan of spending a pick on him but you never know I guess.

I'm repeating myself, but I essentially wrote him off for the medium-term future (ie his future in our org) when he mentioned he'd been watching tape of Thompson & Wheeler this summer.

Last summer? He was watching tapes of Tage Thompson and Blake Wheeler?

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Gigantic save from Sogaard with 5 seconds to go in the period to keep the score tied at 2.

Another big save from him to start the 2nd. He's looking pretty good.

Cleveland really starting to heat up now. They're starting to dominate in the offensive zone. Sogaard is keeping them in it.

Last edited:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Cleveland up 3-2

Cleveland open up 2nd outshooting BSens 9-2 in first 4 mins

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
B Sens look like a totally different team in the 2nd. They're not supporting each other. There's no outlets.

Kleven showing flashes of brilliance.

Sens fighting back. Getting some good chances.

Cleveland dominated the first half of the 2nd period. It was pretty even in the 2nd half. Still 3-2 for Cleveland.

8 minutes into the 3rd period; B Sens coming very close to tying the game. Both sides creating chances but the Sens look like the hungrier team. Now the Sens are on the PP.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad