2023-24 #2: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
xGF/60:
York 88 minutes, 6.71
Sanheim 84 minutes, 6.36
Zamula 34 minutes, 9.04

Sanheim career:
84 minutes, 6.41
62 minutes, 6.23
32 minutes, 2.88
55 minutes, 3.98
45 mintues, 3.02
84 minutes, 6.36

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I mean sure. 25 games, and 4 points. It's still an absolutely brutal return, he didn't exactly pass the eye test either. So the PP was shit when he was on it, and it was shit when he wasn't. But it's now performing at a significantly higher level with someone else?

Zamula does pass that eye test at the moment. He creates, he gets his shots through and he's pretty adept at passing.
Law of averages.

I'm only pointing out their decision making in regards to PP personnel makes no logical sense. I would like the leading scorer on my team to be on the PP in some form. I don't want a defenseman to play the net front because he's big. I also don't want Garnet Hathaway on the PP for the same reason. I don't want a new PP QB every week. I don't think that's too much to ask.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Some players are better at 5x5 than the PP and the reverse.

I've never liked Provorov or Sanheim on the PP, Ghost and Streit were heads and shoulders above, even after Ghost lost a stride or two to injury, and Streit was 34 and mediocre at 5x5.

Straight line speed is more valuable 5x5, and a big shot in open ice may be useless on the PP where a D-men needs to get the puck through traffic and on the net for a deflection or a rebound.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Ehhh Sanheim has 4 assists and no goals in 41 games when he was the PP QB, the worst PP in the entire league.

Sanheim is a very good player, but he's not a PP player.
This just seems like a silly conclusion.

The powerplay production was horrible.

But why stop at just blaming the defenseman? If Sanheim isn’t a powerplay player, does that mean TK is also not a PP player? Nobody on the team has a lower P/60 on the PP this season that TK. What about Owen Tippett? Another player with a worse P/60 on the PP than at ES.

Or maybe it’s tough to draw such conclusions when the entire unit is rotten and the PP coach is a neanderthal whose ideas about how to run a powerplay are straight out of the 90s.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
London seems great at churning out regular NHL defensemen

Are Bouchard and Zadorov the only regular NHL defensemen that they've churned out in 15 years? London is about the forwards -- always has been.

All american game is tomorrow btw. Almost forgot about it.

Spending your holiday watching hockey prospects. You're a sicko.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Are Bouchard and Zadorov the only regular NHL defensemen that they've churned out in 15 years?
Mete :sarcasm:

Yeah, London being talked about as some NHL star factory is way overblown. They are a great Junior program in part because players always want to play for them and they very rarely have to go through a proper rebuild. They are always competitive. That and they possibly break the rules to pay for players. :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Credit to the Hunter’s for building what London is today given they did take it from ground up when they got there decades ago. But for a while now that thing has been auto-pilot in terms of accumulating talent superior to everybody else in that league for reasons stated above.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
is there a team or program that this board has ever had positive things to say about other than the development program guys?

• Wow
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Barkeys got 3 tonight too
Gendron has 10 points in the 5 games hes played for Dville, 7 goals 3 assists

Reactions: macleish1974

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
London 10-0

Bonk 2g 2a
Barkey 1g, 2a

Can you imagine, your dream to play in the NHL,and your the D-man that is -5 today, the owen Sound goalie was in the whole game too, yikes!!!!

Does anyone know the record for minus +/- and goals against in an OHL game??

Reactions: BernieParent

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Knights scores are becoming comical. As nice it is to see Bonk (and Barkley) get points, how will they translate? Does anyone see Bonk as a net from PP demon at the NHL level?

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There are three OHL D-man who are tearing it up offensively as ES, Bonk is in the next group of 3, with Dickinson. He's not going to be a dominant ES play driver in the NHL, but the PP may not be a fluke. He got drafted in the 1st rd, at least off scouting reports, based on a high IQ, defensively responsible and a good skater who should fill out his 6'2 176 lb frame. The offense this season is a surprise, and his surge post-WJC may simply reflect the confidence from performing on the big stage.

Given how strong he's finishing his D+1 season, I suspect if he continues to fill out this summer and shows he can hold his own in TC, he's not going back to the CHL next season. Same holds with Barkey, but in his case he's so small they may want him to return until he fills out to 175 lbs or so, 155 lbs ain't gonna cut it in the NHL without elite jets, and he doesn't have them.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Are Bouchard and Zadorov the only regular NHL defensemen that they've churned out in 15 years? London is about the forwards -- always has been.
Olli Maatta, Victor Mete (AHL now) and Dakota Mermis who finally made the Wild. Not a great track record on D. Maybe they learned?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad