Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 04.22.2024)

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Bad news for Colorado College's chances of making the NCAA playoffs.

The team currently sits in the 14th of the 16th slots but slots 15 and 16 will be the winners of the CCHA and Atlantic conferences. So Colorado needs for every team below them in the rankings to lose this weekend otherwise a lower seeded conference champion replaces them.

One sure thing was that defending champion Quinnipiac would beat the lower seeded St. Lawrence. But that didn't happen with St. Lawrence winning 3-0. So St. Lawrence and the two remaining ECAC teams, Cornell and Dartmouth are all ranked lower than Colorado College and would take the 14th slot with Quinnipiac getting an at large bid.

13th seeded U Mass got killed by BC. It's not inconceivable that this loss would push U. Mass below Colorado College allowing Colorado to sneak in.

But even if this happens lower seed St. Cloud could bypass Colorado if it wins the NCHC playoff or even possibly wins tonight against Denver. The winner plays Omaha, which beat North Dakota.

So Colorado needs St. Cloud to lose tonight and to then sneak by Mass in the rankings.

If Colorado doesn't get in, selections are Sunday, the Noah Laba watch begins.

Cornell plays tonight but needs to win the ECAC playoff to make the final 16.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Cornell beats Dartmouth and will play St. Lawrence for the ECAC championship tomorrow, At least one more game for Henk Kampf.

Bu beats Maine and places BC ofr the Hockey East championship. Both teams will be first seeds in the regional playoffs.

St. Cloud and Denver are tied going into the third period. If St. Cloud wins the conference championship then Colorado is almost certainly eliminated.

Reactions: cwede

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
he's been impressive. the best part about him is he's still got a long way to go in terms of physical development. he's an effortless skater...looks like kandre when he winds it up and takes the puck up ice himself. also really underrated puck skills...not going to be a big point producer but in terms of being able to receive the puck cleanly, is smooth at the blue line and makes good decisions with it, makes crisp breakout passes...exactly what you need from a defensive dman in todays game.

and what a beauty gabe just had. made several plays that shift to create chances then a silky finish on a small ice breakaway.
Well said. Really impressed by both our kids today on national TV.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
I haven't been able to watch a ton games this year but when I have Kempf has grown a lot from last year and even since October. He's reading the game a lot better, especially defensively. I think being the de facto old guy has forced him to step up and be more of a leader to a really young d corps. He's still lacking much offensively which means he needs to be pretty much perfect elsewhere and he's definitely not.

If he can make the simple passes consistently I could see him as a #8 but I have trouble seeing him crack an NHL lineup with any consistency.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I haven't been able to watch a ton games this year but when I have Kempf has grown a lot from last year and even since October. He's reading the game a lot better, especially defensively. I think being the de facto old guy has forced him to step up and be more of a leader to a really young d corps. He's still lacking much offensively which means he needs to be pretty much perfect elsewhere and he's definitely not.

If he can make the simple passes consistently I could see him as a #8 but I have trouble seeing him crack an NHL lineup with any consistency.

He's got at least another year to go with Cornell IMO. I wouldn't sign him at this point in time. I'd make that decision after next season. For a 7th rounder though he hasn't been a bad pick. He's made steady progress over his first three years and is a mainstay in Cornell's lineup and I think we can still talk about him as a possibility but I think he would have to pick things up a bit next year. Become more of a force.

Reactions: Ranger Ric

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
He's got at least another year to go with Cornell IMO. I wouldn't sign him at this point in time. I'd make that decision after next season. For a 7th rounder though he hasn't been a bad pick. He's made steady progress over his first three years and is a mainstay in Cornell's lineup and I think we can still talk about him as a possibility but I think he would have to pick things up a bit next year. Become more of a force.
Oh I wasn't advocating either way, since he'll definitely be back at Cornell next year. I'm just speaking about if we were to sign him after next year.

I don't personally see the jump to being a 2-way impact Dman for him next year but I would obviously love it on both fronts if it happened.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Colorado still has a chance to make the final 16. The following is from the College Hockey News Website and it explains the outcomes of the different scenarios that could play out tonight.

"Meanwhile, the 13th and final at-large spot will go to either Colorado College or Massachusetts. The ECAC results assured that both can't get in. But St. Cloud State's loss to Denver in the NCHC semifinals assured that one of them will get in.

There are 32 remaining combinations of events given that five conference tournament championship games remain. Among those outcomes, Colorado College gets the bid in 22 of them, and UMass gets it in 12 of them.

The Matrix on the other hand considers UMass a 58 percent chance compared to 42 percent for CC. Why the discrepancy? Because not all 32 outcomes have an equal chance of happening. The Matrix considers some of the more important outcomes for UMass — Cornell over St. Lawrence, and Denver over Omaha — to be more likely. As mentioned before, however, this is a dubious claim at this point of the year.

As a result, you might as well call it 50/50 and hope for the best. No matter what, the difference between the teams will come down to about .0003 RPI points, or less. There is one scenario where it's less than .0001.

If Omaha defeats Denver, Colorado College gets the spot in just every other combination of results. The only way UMass gets in with an Omaha win is if Michigan, AIC, Boston College and Cornell all win their games.

If Denver wins, CC still gets it in five of the remaining 16 scenarios.

The most important thing for CC is making sure as few of those four above-mentioned teams win — Michigan, AIC, Boston College, Cornell. That's because Massachusetts played all of those teams this season, and so any win by them, improves UMass's RPI by enough fractions of percentage points."

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Colorado still has a chance to make the final 16. The following is from the College Hockey News Website and it explains the outcomes of the different scenarios that could play out tonight.

"Meanwhile, the 13th and final at-large spot will go to either Colorado College or Massachusetts. The ECAC results assured that both can't get in. But St. Cloud State's loss to Denver in the NCHC semifinals assured that one of them will get in.

There are 32 remaining combinations of events given that five conference tournament championship games remain. Among those outcomes, Colorado College gets the bid in 22 of them, and UMass gets it in 12 of them.

The Matrix on the other hand considers UMass a 58 percent chance compared to 42 percent for CC. Why the discrepancy? Because not all 32 outcomes have an equal chance of happening. The Matrix considers some of the more important outcomes for UMass — Cornell over St. Lawrence, and Denver over Omaha — to be more likely. As mentioned before, however, this is a dubious claim at this point of the year.

As a result, you might as well call it 50/50 and hope for the best. No matter what, the difference between the teams will come down to about .0003 RPI points, or less. There is one scenario where it's less than .0001.

If Omaha defeats Denver, Colorado College gets the spot in just every other combination of results. The only way UMass gets in with an Omaha win is if Michigan, AIC, Boston College and Cornell all win their games.

If Denver wins, CC still gets it in five of the remaining 16 scenarios.

The most important thing for CC is making sure as few of those four above-mentioned teams win — Michigan, AIC, Boston College, Cornell. That's because Massachusetts played all of those teams this season, and so any win by them, improves UMass's RPI by enough fractions of percentage points."
thanks for this
i wont be running a handful of simulations,
but will keep hoping for a set of outcomes where all 5 of
Minn; BC, Omaha, Col Coll and Cornell make the NCAA's
so NYR have 6 prospects experiencing the tournament

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

If accurate, w Omaha down 4-1, Laba watch may be underway.
Not what i expect, but if NYR just signed Chmelar after soph season, prob willing to sign a tall 2-way C who led team in scoring after soph season as well ...

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
its definitely possible...chmelar is more physically mature but they are the same age.

i'm split on the idea...i'd love to see Laba take the next step but another year in college wouldn't hurt him. it really depends on where you'd project in the hartford lineup and the ice time he'd get. He's not a guy who is too good to stay at his current level so no reason to rush him if he won't play in hartford.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Colorado College is what it is as a program but they also have a bunch of forwards that are sophomores and younger. They'll be bringing most guys back next season up front. Defense is a different story as they're losing a ton. He may want to run it back one more time with that group.

I'd definitely sign him. He's a lot more polished than Chmelar and they signed the latter.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Colorado College is what it is as a program but they also have a bunch of forwards that are sophomores and younger. They'll be bringing most guys back next season up front. Defense is a different story as they're losing a ton. He may want to run it back one more time with that group.

I'd definitely sign him. He's a lot more polished than Chmelar and they signed the latter.

The other question is whether he decides he wants to stay for another season. Sometimes that happens too.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
The other question is whether he decides he wants to stay for another season. Sometimes that happens too.
He also could transfer to a higher visibility program.

We’ll see what he decides. But I think the Rangers will want to see him.

He also could transfer to a higher visibility program.

We’ll see what he decides. But I think the Rangers will want to see him.
Sign not see.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
That Sherstykin guy was a pretty good fourth round pick.
1711299009759.gif

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I’d be shocked if Laba doesn’t sign. Again there’s (virtually) nothing left for him to accomplish at college level and I’m sure the Rangers want him in the fold ASAP.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If accurate, w Omaha down 4-1, Laba watch may be underway.
Not what i expect, but if NYR just signed Chmelar after soph season, prob willing to sign a tall 2-way C who led team in scoring after soph season as well ...

He's a sophomore but he just finished his D+3 season. Same age as Berard when he signed. Laba as well. He was drafted at age 19 but this is still his D+3 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00