NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Stanley Cup Playoffs - The Atlantic Division Crown runs through Florida

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Thought the regular season ended three days ago have been confused every night since.
I noticed they are playing as well. They are West teams. I’m not sure if the West is doing a play in like the NBA. That I think is what’s happening

Sort of like when mlb AL had a DH and NL didn’t

It’s confusing but if Arizona wins tonight I think they make playoffs but will play in Salt Lake City

• Haha
Reactions: RoccoF14

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think LA just bumped Vegas back down to WC2

They did. Bit weird how it panned out - Kings were leading the hopeless Hawks 3-1 after 40 mins and I though they had 3rd in the Pacific sown up after Vegas lost their game. But then they coughed up 3 goals to Chicago in just a few minutes and I wondered if they were deliberately tanking to avoid a 3rd consecutive clash with the Oilers. Nope, seems not, they rallied, tied it then won in OT. So Edmonton it is, and Vegas get Dallas. Tough tough first rounds all over the place.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
They did. Bit weird how it panned out - Kings were leading the hopeless Hawks 3-1 after 40 mins and I though they had 3rd in the Pacific sown up after Vegas lost their game. But then they coughed up 3 goals to Chicago in just a few minutes and I wondered if they were deliberately tanking to avoid a 3rd consecutive clash with the Oilers. Nope, seems not, they rallied, tied it then won in OT. So Edmonton it is, and Vegas get Dallas. Tough tough first rounds all over the place.
Yup saw that. At one point it was 3-1 Kings over Hawks at the same time Vegas was losing 3-1 in the 3rd.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Not sure where to put this as it involves both Charlie McAvoy and John Carlson and mentions Adam Fox and Brock Faber.

• Wow
Reactions: Carl Hungus

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I think

Florida - Tampa,
Dallas - VGK,
Winnipeg - Colorado and
Vancouver - Nashville

are all going to be drawn out. I still think Vegas is capable of turning it on despite recent appearances. The only division winner with a likely cakewalk is NYR. The Rangers starting with Washington reminds me of 1994 when the Isles snuck into the 8th seed and got smoked over 4 games.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

The way the brackets line up is awesome. That pacific quadrant is especially stacked.

We could have four absolutely tremendous second round matchups if it falls VAN/EDM, DAL or VGK/COL, FLA/BOS, and NYR/CAR

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Gee, who could predict a city which is a former/upcoming host of the Winter Olympics, that actually has a winter season, and where snow/ice sports are incredibly popular, could embrace an expansion hockey team?

Urr durr no, let's put it in the desert!

Reactions: sarge88

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'll say one thing from my experience doing a weekend in SLC last year, it's a beautiful city and area but you run out of stuff to do fast. The only time all weekend I saw people on the streets was Saturday night when the Jazz were playing. Outside of that, it was pretty calm (and everything is shut on Sundays).

So it's not like Vegas where you have a thousand entertainment choices going on. I think the team will do well because there's not a hell of a lot else to do.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
This won't be a popular sentiment, but kudos to Gary Bettman.

I've never been crazy about the playoff format, but the first round is incredible. Tampa/Florida, Boston/Toronto, Dallas/Vegas in a rematch of last year's WCF.

As for parity, of the 16 qualifying teams, the only huge shock to win the Cup is Washington, and to a lesser extent the Islanders and Kings.

Reactions: KnightofBoston

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think

Florida - Tampa,
Dallas - VGK,
Winnipeg - Colorado and
Vancouver - Nashville

are all going to be drawn out. I still think Vegas is capable of turning it on despite recent appearances. The only division winner with a likely cakewalk is NYR. The Rangers starting with Washington reminds me of 1994 when the Isles snuck into the 8th seed and got smoked over 4 games.

Yeah Vegas are very hard to read. Still a stacked roster, we know they can get it done, but is there enough energy and motivation there? Dallas might almost have the most well-rounded squad in the league, so if there are any weaknesses in the Knights the Stars will likely find them.

Agree that Nucks-Preds and the Florida series will probably go long. Not sure about the Jets. Colorado undoubtedly have more top talent but to be fair to Winnipeg they've played some really solid, tough hockey all season and Hellebuyck is one of the very best goalies in the league. If the Avs get on a roll I could see them winning it in 5 or so, but on the flip side if the Jets can shut down Colorado's scoring and keep it tight, they just might squeeze through in 6 or 7.

Every series should be entertaining with the possible exception of Canes-Isles. First 2 rounds of the playoffs are the best hockey time of the year I reckon. Lots of games and different teams, good contests between quality opponents pretty much every night.

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Yeah Vegas are very hard to read. Still a stacked roster, we know they can get it done, but is there enough energy and motivation there? Dallas might almost have the most well-rounded squad in the league, so if there are any weaknesses in the Knights the Stars will likely find them.

Agree that Nucks-Preds and the Florida series will probably go long. Not sure about the Jets. Colorado undoubtedly have more top talent but to be fair to Winnipeg they've played some really solid, tough hockey all season and Hellebuyck is one of the very best goalies in the league. If the Avs get on a roll I could see them winning it in 5 or so, but on the flip side if the Jets can shut down Colorado's scoring and keep it tight, they just might squeeze through in 6 or 7.

Every series should be entertaining with the possible exception of Canes-Isles. First 2 rounds of the playoffs are the best hockey time of the year I reckon. Lots of games and different teams, good contests between quality opponents pretty much every night.
I agree with your take on Dallas. They are my pick to win the cup this year.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad