Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Is that somewhere in the rules?
You clearly missed the very clearly stated "IMO", you know, In My Opinion. Am I not allowed that in your world? I don't like the play. Who cares? Why is it such a big deal to you to keep going on this conversation?

a check would defend it just as effectively
How is a goalie going to do that from his/her knees?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
You clearly missed the very clearly stated "IMO", you know, In My Opinion. Am I not allowed that in your world? I don't like the play. Who cares? Why is it such a big deal to you to keep going on this conversation?

You are allowed your opinion. Nobody is denying you that. I'm allowed to have an opinion in return and ask questions. That's how a message forum works.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
If I'm on the same page as @BigBadBruins7708, it's more of a suggestion for the defense to check the puck carrier.
I can see that turning into the stick rides up and the defenseman is in the box for high sticking. I just don't see how one can really, legally, defend it without ending up in the box.

Reactions: Number8

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
I can see that turning into the stick rides up and the defenseman is in the box for high sticking. I just don't see how one can really, legally, defend it without ending up in the box.
Fair enough, but I'd rather take the penalty than allow the higher percentage goal. Although, I don't necessarily think the defenseman has to have the stick up or have it ride up into the offensive player. This is just one way to defend it: When the offensive player is behind the goal (before picking up the puck with the stick), lower the shoulder and drive through the puck carrier. The weakness of this play is that it takes the defenseman out of position from the front of the net and opens passing lanes. Still, the body isn't played as much anymore, and the Michigan is one of the consequences. I don't have a problem with the play. It's on the defense to adjust and shut it down. Teams will always exploit rules, or a lack of rules until another team figures out how to beat it or the rules change. When the NHL allowed the two-line pass, it helped teams beat the trap defense, but defenses still found a way to stop the offense in the neutral zone.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Didn't the bruins do the same thing last year with Hall and Bertuzzi?
Nope. Those were legit injuries and iirc, the league looked into both that and the Foligno move to make sure it was kosher. The league selectively enforces its own rules.

Fortuitous my ass.
All the more reason this loophole needs to be closed this offseason. 3 years in a row is a pattern.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad