2023 - 2024 OHL playoff prediction thread

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Eastern Conference:
Oshawa vs Barrie - (Oshawa in 4)
North Bay vs Kingston - (North Bay in 4)
Brantford vs Ottawa - (Brantford in 6)
Mississauga vs Sudbury - (Sudbury in 6)

Western Conference:
London vs Flint - (London in 4)
Saginaw vs Owen Sound - (Saginaw in 4)
Soo vs Guelph - (Soo in 6)
Kitchener vs Erie - (Kitchener in 6)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If Brantford is healthy for the start of the summer playoffs they will win their series versus Ottawa. I don’t think the 67s can handle the Bulldogs physically. In the Mississauga and Sudbury series I think the Steelheads will win the series. Their goaltending is stronger than the Wolves and their coaching is better. I don’’t know enough about Kitchener and Erie to make a comment.

As a Petes fan, I see some of the same similarities of Sudbury right now that I saw last year with my Petes! Sudbury is my darkhorse to not only win the Conference but the OHL Championship. There is a way they have approached the games lately, including the loss last night in Oshawa that has caught my eye quite a bit. I’m seeing a heavier aggressiveness that really translates in a seven game series.

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
Oshawa in 4
North Bay in 5
Brantford in 6
Sudbury in 6

London in 4
Saginaw in 4
Sault in 5
Kitchener in 6

Last edited:

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
As a Petes fan, I see some of the same similarities of Sudbury right now that I saw last year with my Petes! Sudbury is my darkhorse to not only win the Conference but the OHL Championship. There is a way they have approached the games lately, including the loss last night in Oshawa that has caught my eye quite a bit. I’m seeing a heavier aggressiveness that really translates in a seven game series.
Difference is Petes last year had a top goaltender between the pipes. Sudbury does not.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Difference is Petes last year had a top goaltender between the pipes. Sudbury does not.
Also the Petes last year in the playoffs played a defence first game. I am not sure players like David Goyette, Quinten Musty and Dalibor Dvorsky are prepared to play that game. I also do not think Sudbury is as of a close knit team like Peterborough was. The Petes also had have coach who gets the best out of his team.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
EAST
Oshawa/Barrie - Oshawa in 4
North Bay/Kingston - North Bay in 5
Brantford/Ottawa - Ottawa in 6
Mississauga/Sudbury - Sudbury in 6

WEST

London/Flint - London in 5
Saginaw/Owen Sound - Saginaw in 4
Soo/Guelph - Soo in 6
Kitchener/Erie - Kitchener in 6

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
East:
Oshawa vs Barrie - Oshawa in 5
North Bay vs Kingston North Bay in 5
Brantford vs Ottawa Ottawa in 7
Mississauga vs Sudbury Sudbury in 6

West:
London vs Flint - London in 5
Saginaw vs Owen Sound - Saginaw in 5
SSM vs Guelph - SSM in 5
Kitchener vs Erie - Kitchener in 6

Reactions: CTrain10

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Gens over Colts in 5
Battalion over Fronts in 6
Bulldogs over 67s in 6
Steelheads over Wolves in 6

Knights over Firebirds in 4
Spirit over Attack in 5
Greyhounds over Storm in 6
Eire over Kitchener in 7

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Gens over Colts in 4
Battalion over Fronts in 5
67s over Bulldogs in 6
Steelheads over Wolves in 7

Knights over Firebirds in 4
Spirit over Attack in 4
Greyhounds over Storm in 5
Kitchener over Erie in 6

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
New
Add bookmark
Eastern Conference:
Oshawa vs Barrie - (Oshawa in 5)
North Bay vs Kingston - (North Bay in 4)
Brantford vs Ottawa - (Ottawa in 6)
Mississauga vs Sudbury - (Sudbury in 5)

Western Conference:
London vs Flint - (London in 4)
Saginaw vs Owen Sound - (Saginaw in 4)
Soo vs Guelph - (Soo in 5)
Kitchener vs Erie - (Kitchener in 5)

Reactions: CTrain10

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Oshawa in 4
North Bay in 6
Brantford in 5
Mississauga in 6

London in 4
Saginaw in 4
Sault in 5
Kitchener in 6

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
I won't play the prediction game this year but I will ask this..

If you had to pick, even if you don't think an upset is likely to happen. What team most likely has the capabilities to "upset" in the first round in their respective conference?

Im going to go with Owen Sound in the west and Kingston in the east.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
4-5 isn't really an upset so you're looking for a 1,2, or 3 seed going down. Only think Ottawa has the chance. Not a ton separating the top 6 seeds in the east. It's anybody's conference after round 1.

Reactions: howlman and HF92

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I won't play the prediction game this year but I will ask this..

If you had to pick, even if you don't think an upset is likely to happen. What team most likely has the capabilities to "upset" in the first round in their respective conference?

Im going to go with Owen Sound in the west and Kingston in the east.
I think the only real upset I will consider is Guelph over SSM. Sudbury in 4-5 might be upsetting to some. I will pick Erie.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I think the only real upset I will consider is Guelph over SSM. Sudbury in 4-5 might be upsetting to some. I will pick Erie.
Yes Guelph has played well in the last few weeks. A lot of people underestimating them. Reminds me of last year's Petes. Not going to be shocked if they upset the Soo. I still think it will likely be the Soo to take it but it will be down to the wire.

Tyler8525

May 16, 2011
EAST
Oshawa/Barrie - Oshawa in 5
North Bay/Kingston - North Bay in 4
Brantford/Ottawa - Ottawa in 7
Mississauga/Sudbury - Mississauga in 6

WEST

London/Flint - London in 4
Saginaw/Owen Sound - Saginaw in 5
Soo/Guelph - Soo in 6
Kitchener/Erie - Kitchener in 5

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Even though they are a 4-5 seeds, Sudbury was supposed to be so much better and so much was expected of them this year. I can see Missy upsetting them for no reason other than Sudbury goalies have a hard time stopping the puck.

In the other 4-5 seed, if Gaudreau returns and is as good as he can be, Erie can upset Kitchener. Kitchener has a thin defence and their high end offence has stagnated of late.

I can see Ottawa upsetting Brantford, but it’s tough for any of those series in the east to be really considered an upset, considering how close everybody finished.

Reactions: dirty12

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Reading some comments on a few different threads, seems like a few posters are comparing last years' Peterborough team to this year's underperformers (Sudbury, Guelph). Do these posters realize that even though Peterborough last season struggled to put it all together, Simpson finished the regular season 3rd in GAA and 2nd in SAV%?

Do these posters realize that it's much more common for underperforming teams to simply continue to underperform come playoffs, and that what the Petes did last year is against all odds?

For the record, I do not draw the same similarities as these posters are between last year's Petes and any current team.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Reading some comments on a few different threads, seems like a few posters are comparing last years' Peterborough team to this year's underperformers (Sudbury, Guelph). Do these posters realize that even though Peterborough last season struggled to put it all together, Simpson finished the regular season 3rd in GAA and 2nd in SAV%?

Do these posters realize that it's much more common for underperforming teams to simply continue to underperform come playoffs, and that what the Petes did last year is against all odds?

For the record, I do not draw the same similarities as these posters are between last year's Petes and any current team.
Injury will often be a factor. The colts had the battalion on the ropes, then one hit to Vierling ended what appeared to me a run to the final.
The Petes playoff last should not be too surprising. In addition to Simpson and the most conservative game plan, the Petes had without question imo the best 1-8 forward group in the league. ‘The cream will eventually rise to the top.’
No one should want to face the wolves.

Reactions: Section5Petes

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Losing Gillespie takes Guelph out of that comparison. I don't see any other team that could be compared to the Petes other than the way Oshawa plays but they are a top seed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad