OT: 2023-2024 NCAA Hockey Thread

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Stramel has looked fine from my sporadic watching, but very limited minutes. He doesn't look bad at all compared to how negative everyone seems to be about him. Skating looks good, two nice attempted passes cross the hash marks, executes bounce passes, finishes his checks, positionally sound. He doesn't make fancy plays, isn't perfect with his execution, and he isn't physically dominant against the older players.

I don't know, maybe I am looking at things through rosy glasses, but he's a power forward archetype that is in the development stage, this is how many of them look until they get the man strength and practice time to actually control the puck. If he were a high level producer at this stage, he would have been a top 10 pick or higher.

Obviously you would like more play time, responsibility and production, to help build confidence, but that's not necessarily what will make him an effective NHL player, practice and weight room are where he is going to make most of his advancements.

Reactions: Arturia Pendragon

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Stramel has looked fine from my sporadic watching, but very limited minutes. He doesn't look bad at all compared to how negative everyone seems to be about him. Skating looks good, two nice attempted passes cross the hash marks, executes bounce passes, finishes his checks, positionally sound. He doesn't make fancy plays, isn't perfect with his execution, and he isn't physically dominant against the older players.

I don't know, maybe I am looking at things through rosy glasses, but he's a power forward archetype that is in the development stage, this is how many of them look until they get the man strength and practice time to actually control the puck. If he were a high level producer at this stage, he would have been a top 10 pick or higher.

Obviously you would like more play time, responsibility and production, to help build confidence, but that's not necessarily what will make him an effective NHL player, practice and weight room are where he is going to make most of his advancements.
Very reasonable.

If this were his freshman season, I'd feel the same way. But they drafted him knowing what a raw package he is, knowing that he hadn't shown much offensive ability. So with one full year of college-level data, they made the pick. Now with two years, it's looking like he's a very middling college-level player. He's not someone who's going to have a growth spurt, or a ton of muscle development. He's someone who was bigger than most of his peers a few years ago, and looked like a monster among boys. Now that he's with men... he looks like a long-term, long-shot project. Odd pick.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder if they were unduly influenced by his combine results? He won the standing broad jump(did he get a ribbon?), and was in the top 10 in 2 or 3 other categories. That, together with his size, probably made them think that he was an athletic freak who would add muscle to the lineup.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The last year he had the puck on his stick a decent amount of the time was probably bantams (14 yo). Hard to develop puck skills and offensive instincts when you don't.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

I can see why the coaches don’t give him much time TBH. He’s kind of lazy out there. No motor at all. If he starts moving his feet and stops being tentative, I think it all comes together.

I agree the upside is obvious when watching him though. He just needs to engage more

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I can see why the coaches don’t give him much time TBH. He’s kind of lazy out there. No motor at all. If he starts moving his feet and stops being tentative, I think it all comes together.

I agree the upside is obvious when watching him though. He just needs to engage more
Been saying this stuff most of the year, but got sick of the chastising that came afterwards so I just stopped commenting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad