Celtics/NBA 2023-2024 NBA Playoffs: 1 Boston vs. 8 Miami

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The other 1 and 2 seeds all up 2-0. 3 seed Minnesota up 2-0. 3 seed Bucks without Giannis lost a game. None of these teams were the NBA president's trophy winner.

Reactions: EverettMike

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
The biggest thing with Mazzulla is teams who can hit three pointers kill him. The only time they have really played good consistent game to game defense in the playoffs under him was against the 76ers, but even then, the one game in that series Embiid didn't play and the 76ers had to play a more perimeter focused game, they scored 119 on Boston and won, the most they scored in the entire series.

Opponents points per game under Udoka in the playoffs

Nets - 109
Bucks - 97.7
Heat - 99.7
Warriors - 104.8

Playoff series under Mazzulla

Hawks - 115.8
76ers - 101.8
Heat - 109.1
Heat - 102.5 through two games

The Miami Heat and Atlanta Hawks have done worse to a Joe Mazzulla defense than a team that had Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving did when the Celtics were coached by Udoka.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
OK, what were Joe Mazzulla's faults tonight besides his strategy of only 3 ball? Leaving Porzingis in too long after it was obvious he was having a bad night?

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Miami's only threat in this series is getting insanely hot from 3. It's their only chance and yet even despite Spoelstra saying they would have to change how they play the perimeter game from game 1 to 2, the Celtics didn't seem to be prepared for that.

Running their one dimensional shooters off the perimeter and into the paint should be the priority but instead they were going under screens and just giving up a bunch of uncontested looks from deep just like they did in the conference finals last season.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Just a disguting effort tonight against a mediocre team missing their best player.

Celtics should still win this in 5, 6 max, but just really poor showing tonight.

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
So what I heard & watched...the Heat were sending help late so the C's couldn't kick out to the perimeter & forced them to shoot more 2's ?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I just saw a trailer for an FX miniseries about the Donald Sterling scandal and the Clippers, and they've got Laurence Fishburne playing Doc and I laughed my ass off every time he was on screen

• Haha
Reactions: BigGoalBrad and CDJ

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
This game proves just how absurd the gameplan in game 2 was. Take away the three from Miami and a lot of their role players are no threat. This version without Jimmy Butler and Terry Rozier are no better than teams like the Raptors, Hornets, Jazz or Trail Blazers. The next two games should look like this too

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I thought effort was the issue in game 2 and that’s why I wasn’t concerned, I think they thought they could cruise and got reminded that Bam is still a beast and Spo is still the best coach in the league.

If they play with that kind of defensive intensity every game they’ll come out of the East, and they’ll make it look easy

Reactions: Maine Fan and pgm16

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I thought effort was the issue in game 2 and that’s why I wasn’t concerned, I think they thought they could cruise and got reminded that Bam is still a beast and Spo is still the best coach in the league.

If they play with that kind of defensive intensity every game they’ll come out of the East, and they’ll make it look easy

Yup

Reactions: Maine Fan

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

And just maybe they might win #18.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad