Injury Report: 2023 - 2024 Injury Thread HF's New longest ever thread

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Yeah
It really seemed to me that Colton sensed there was someone right around him and so he initiated a reverse hit elbow to protect the puck, but he didn't realize it was a teammate that he was hitting.
I noticed that too. Maybe just a gut reaction not realizing it was Girard.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Even if G is back for the 1st round, we know it won’t take long for him to get injured/shy away from contact. He’s softer than baby shit. He has to go this summer.
When has G ever shyed away from contact? He might be weak and easy to move, but he does not shy away from contact. Don't try to paint him as a coward, when he clearly isn't.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
He absolutely does when a forecheck is coming because he cannot absorb physicality. He is willing to initiate but he does not accept it.
He's absorbed plenty of hits to make a pass, but I also wouldn't call getting rid of the puck before getting checked by a bigger body a bad strategy. I'm sure he knows his own limitations and it's better to clear it faster.

I won't deny that's absolutely a weakness, but this is something most PMDs around the league do. All smaller defensesmen will get the puck away faster in those scenarios.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He's absorbed plenty of hits to make a pass, but I also wouldn't call getting rid of the puck before getting checked by a bigger body a bad strategy. I'm sure he knows his own limitations and it's better to clear it faster.

I won't deny that's absolutely a weakness, but this is something most PMDs around the league do. All smaller defensesmen will get the puck away faster in those scenarios.
That is not what I am talking about. There have been several instances - especially over the last few weeks - where a forecheck has come hard and he has decided to forego the puck/puck battle because he knows he's going to get hit and instead gives it up.

I even mentioned it specifically during the game against Nashville when noted heavyweight Gus Nyquist was coming in fast on him. Girard didn't even bother making a play for the puck, he got the f*** out of dodge, Nyquist took the puck and Nashville had a solid minute-plus of zone time that resulted in several chances and an icing by the Avs.

It is what it is. He's terrified to get hit. We just have to deal with it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Th Avs are an allergic to pucks in the d zone. It’s truly bizzare
The book on the Avs has always been play them heavy, keep pressure up, and finish checks... even if a bit late. Right now, for whatever the reasons may be (regression, injuries, coaching tweaks, etc), it is easier to exploit the Avs than years prior (last year was much the same to be fair).

Reactions: katfude

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The book on the Avs has always been play them heavy, keep pressure up, and finish checks... even if a bit late. Right now, for whatever the reasons may be (regression, injuries, coaching tweaks, etc), it is easier to exploit the Avs than years prior (last year was much the same to be fair).
I think the biggest exploitation is just getting literally any shot on net.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think the biggest exploitation is just getting literally any shot on net.
Not exactly wrong... right now for the season, the Avs have an all situations .896 save percentage. The average for the prior 3 seasons was .911. In those 3 seasons, the average on net against was 29.63... the average this season 29.6.

I don't know how many ways it has to be split and shown, but George is clearly the #1 problem on this team right now. We can dance around other issues, but him not even being capable of being average is a major issue. I'm positive that when he has a good game, the George apologists will be here in full force... but we've seen he just can't maintain the play. I can't imagine him being able to hold down well enough for ~25 games. Maybe you get a good series, or better yet he ends a series hot and is hot to start another to give a lead where the team can go on a run. I just can't see him being good for 4 series. Nothing suggests that will be the case. Along with that, this team doesn't look good enough to be able to overcome it for 4 series. That makes it a tough mix. Not impossible, but tough.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not exactly wrong... right now for the season, the Avs have an all situations .896 save percentage. The average for the prior 3 seasons was .911. In those 3 seasons, the average on net against was 29.63... the average this season 29.6.

I don't know how many ways it has to be split and shown, but George is clearly the #1 problem on this team right now. We can dance around other issues, but him not even being capable of being average is a major issue. I'm positive that when he has a good game, the George apologists will be here in full force... but we've seen he just can't maintain the play. I can't imagine him being able to hold down well enough for ~25 games. Maybe you get a good series, or better yet he ends a series hot and is hot to start another to give a lead where the team can go on a run. I just can't see him being good for 4 series. Nothing suggests that will be the case. Along with that, this team doesn't look good enough to be able to overcome it for 4 series. That makes it a tough mix. Not impossible, but tough.
Yup, 100%. Everyone keeps saying the defense has been far worse this year than the cup year, but the 21-22 team gave up 731 high danger chances This years team, in 81 games granted, has given up 699 high danger chances. The difference is almost entirely the fact that Kuemper played above average and would save of them whereas Georgie doesn’t.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

It's not a good strategy if it's causing you to turn the puck over though, because you're rushing passes.

This will become an even bigger concern in the playoffs, when the physicality goes up, and teams gameplan more for player's weaknesses.

They won't be able to shelter him much either anymore, because with the makeup of the D core now, he's too important to the team. They need him or Walker playing minutes on the second pair to help the transition game, and Walker hasn't been much better lately.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
It's not a good strategy if it's causing you to turn the puck over though, because you're rushing passes.

This will become an even bigger concern in the playoffs, when the physicality goes up, and team's gameplan for player's weaknesses.

They won't be able to shelter him much either anymore, because with the makeup of the D core now, he's too important to the team. They need him or Walker playing minutes on the second pair to help the transition game, and Walker hasn't been much better lately.
What do you mean by sheltered? Girard gets plenty of d zone faceoffs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What do you mean by sheltered? Girard gets plenty of d zone faceoffs.

Shelter him away from fast/physical forecheckers to exploit his weaknesses handling a heavy forecheck, and defending the net front.

In the past, they could find him better matchups in a 3rd pairing type role, where he doesn't have to play as much, but he'll have to be put in uncomfortable positions now with the makeup of the D core.

Walker would have to play well enough for Bednar to think he's a better option on his off side than Girard with Manson on the second pair, and Walker's game has fallen off after the first few games.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Shelter him away from fast/physical forecheckers to exploit his weaknesses handling a heavy forecheck, and defending the net front.

In the past, they could find him better matchups in a 3rd pairing type role, where he doesn't have to play as much, but he'll have to be put in uncomfortable positions now with the makeup of the D core.

Walker would have to play well enough for Bednar to think he's a better option on his off side than Girard with Manson on the second pair, and Walker's game has fallen off after the first few games.
I don't think Bednar has ever sheltered Girard away from bigger players.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Girard is definitely not the only one of our d-core that pokes at the puck along the wall rather than seal it off with the body to avoid a fore checker. Cale has been doing it quite a bit as well. It really burns the team when the forwards haven't yet arrived to help retrieve.

Reactions: TheRarestDangles

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think Bednar has ever sheltered Girard away from bigger players.

I don't think that's true, but it's more an issue now, because they have less options. They have to ride or die with him on the second pair with Manson, unless Walker really steps his game up.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If Landy was gonna come back, it would have been the 2nd round of the playoffs, so how on earth is he gonna come back when Avs are not gonna make the 2nd round?:sarcasm:
We would have to somehow DELAY the first round to lasting until the 2nd round would...

If we build a large wooden badger...

Reactions: katfude and the_fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad