Line Combos: 2023-2024 Bruins Powerplay

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
No Bergeron for the bumper.

Do you take the simple path and throw Coyle or Geekie there and run the same setup… or do you do something new?

I, for one, am curious about the idea of having the puck on Pasta’s stick more and having Zacha in the bumper. But can Marchand provide enough of a one timer threat? Can Merkulov?

What other setups can you think of?

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I despise the bumper. It seems to have infected every power play setup in the league over the past few years. I'd like to see something other than that setup. I realize that's not the spirit of your question.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I despise the bumper. It seems to have infected every power play setup in the league over the past few years. I'd like to see something other than that setup. I realize that's not the spirit of your question.

They've been running the same set-up now for awhile. There is an argument it's gone stale.

It's a double-edge sword going with something else. The current set-up maximizes Pastrnak's one-timer ability, which is this team's best PP weapon.....by far. The threat of a right-shooter in the bumper opens up east-west passing lanes to get it to Pastrnak on the other half-wall.

But there is a level of predictability to it. You know a lot of the play will be from the hash marks and down.

I felt the peak of the Bruins umbrella set-up was when Krug was at the top, his shot was a threat from out high and teams couldn't overplay the down low east-west play as much.

Lindholm/McAvoy/Gryz don't offer that same threat. I'm interested to see if Shattenkirk can do a better job at the top of the umbrella, and then put 2 D on the 2nd unit that rolls into 5 on 5 play. Basically whomever is paired with McAvoy plus McAvoy. Would also take some strain off McAvoy and hopefully get more out of him EV and PK.

Geekie has a decent shot and some touch in around the net, he'd be my first choice to replace Bergeron in the bumper.

My opening night PP 1 unit

Down low/net front left shot - JVR

Right-side halfwall QB - Marchand

Top of umbrella - Shattenkirk

Left-side halfwall one-timer - Pasta

Bumper - Geekie

2nd unit would be Debrusk, Zacha, and Coyle with McAvoy and his EV partner (Gryz or Lindholm) with a different set-up than the umbrella.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Oh no please have at it! They are going from one to the best bumper guys in the league to no clear cut choice. Everything on the table, but I do think that PP setup has taken over the league for good reason…if you don’t have the horses for it maybe you can get creative.

Edit: For instance, could Pasta run the PP? it’s not like all he has is the one timer and it’s not like the guy that runs the half wall doesn’t get one timer chances, too, Marchand just isn’t amazing at it.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I expect it to be better then last year for one reason, Gruden left for a HC job in the AHL. For large parts of last season our PP was completely dysfunctional, a new PP coach can only improve this unit.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Oh no please have at it! They are going from one to the best bumper guys in the league to no clear cut choice. Everything on the table, but I do think that PP setup has taken over the league for good reason…if you don’t have the horses for it maybe you can get creative.

Edit: For instance, could Pasta run the PP? it’s not like all he has is the one timer and it’s not like the guy that runs the half wall doesn’t get one timer chances, too, Marchand just isn’t amazing at it.

Here the Bruins have arguably the 2nd best off-wing one-timer in the league after OV. I don't see why they would "deemphasize" that weapon because Bergeron is no longer in the bumper position.

I think a lot of teams are going with this set-up because one-timers are becoming more and more prevalent with the stick tech today. Even at 5 on 5.

You don't even need the big backscratcher one-timer as much anymore to get solid velocity off the shot. Just get good wood on it and the stick does the rest. Pasta is great at that. It's not always hammer-time. Just get it off as quick as you can and on net before the goalie can get across.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Here the Bruins have arguably the 2nd best off-wing one-timer in the league after OV. I don't see why they would "deemphasize" that weapon because Bergeron is no longer in the bumper position.

I think that is minimizing everything else Pasta can do. He is one of the top handful of offensive players in the league. Finished 2nd in 5 on 5 points and that was not on the strength of the one timer alone.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Jvr will get his shot at the bumper is my guess.

Probably something like

Pp1

Zacha
Marchand
Pastrnak
Shattenkirk
Jvr

Pp2
Coyle
Debrusk
Lysell/poitras ? (I’m penciling one of these two in)
Mcavoy
Lindholm

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Jvr will get his shot at the bumper is my guess.

Probably something like

Pp1

Zacha
Marchand
Pastrnak
Shattenkirk
Jvr

Pp2
Coyle
Debrusk
Lysell/poitras ? (I’m penciling one of these two in)
Mcavoy
Lindholm

The bumper will most likely be a right-shot. A left-shot only works if the right-side half-wall is your one-timer guy.

JVR is typically been down low to the side of the net his whole career. His net front game and touch in tight are basically what keeps him in the NHL. It's between JVR and Debrusk for that spot (both likely see time there).

Reactions: wintersej and Kegs

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
They've been running the same set-up now for awhile. There is an argument it's gone stale.

It's a double-edge sword going with something else. The current set-up maximizes Pastrnak's one-timer ability, which is this team's best PP weapon.....by far. The threat of a right-shooter in the bumper opens up east-west passing lanes to get it to Pastrnak on the other half-wall.

But there is a level of predictability to it. You know a lot of the play will be from the hash marks and down.

I felt the peak of the Bruins umbrella set-up was when Krug was at the top, his shot was a threat from out high and teams couldn't overplay the down low east-west play as much.

Lindholm/McAvoy/Gryz don't offer that same threat. I'm interested to see if Shattenkirk can do a better job at the top of the umbrella, and then put 2 D on the 2nd unit that rolls into 5 on 5 play. Basically whomever is paired with McAvoy plus McAvoy. Would also take some strain off McAvoy and hopefully get more out of him EV and PK.

Geekie has a decent shot and some touch in around the net, he'd be my first choice to replace Bergeron in the bumper.

My opening night PP 1 unit

Down low/net front left shot - JVR

Right-side halfwall QB - Marchand

Top of umbrella - Shattenkirk

Left-side halfwall one-timer - Pasta

Bumper - Geekie

2nd unit would be Debrusk, Zacha, and Coyle with McAvoy and his EV partner (Gryz or Lindholm) with a different set-up than the umbrella.
I would rather have Zacha or Coyle instead of JVR on the first unit.
CM should be on the first unit, instead of KS, put KS on the second unit along with JVR.
Geekie, a 9 goal scorer last year, should be replaced by JDB on the first unit.

Reactions: Kegs

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I would rather have Zacha or Coyle instead of JVR on the first unit.
CM should be on the first unit, instead of KS, put KS on the second unit along with JVR.
Geekie, a 9 goal scorer last year, should be replaced by JDB on the first unit.
You're not really considering role though. JVR for all his weaknesses is an excellent net front PP guy - and the numbers have shown it.

But I also don't know why Geekie is being put on PP1 in the bumper. He had 5 PP minutes last year. Took 6 faceoffs (0 for 6). He did play PP2 the year before, with 99 minutes, zero goals, 4 assists.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You're not really considering role though. JVR for all his weaknesses is an excellent net front PP guy - and the numbers have shown it.

But I also don't know why Geekie is being put on PP1 in the bumper. He had 5 PP minutes last year. Took 6 faceoffs (0 for 6). He did play PP2 the year before, with 99 minutes, zero goals, 4 assists.

If JVR isn’t the net front guy on PP1 you might as well waive him.

Submitted too soon. I hear you on Geekie, but we all know the difference in production one can attain moving on to PP1 vs PP2 in todays league of PP1 playing 1:30. Not to say I support Geekie sliding into Bergeron’s slot, but I don’t think the stats mean much in deciding it.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I want PP1 stay on the ice for 60 seconds only. PP1 has been taking up 1:30 even when it is stone cold in terms of scoring. PP2 can't do much with just 30 seconds of ice time, you might as well leave PP1 out there for the entire 2 minutes.

And yes, please try to update the PP. Last season everybody in the building knew they were setting up Pasta for a one timer. His one timer is great but it was so predictable and thus so easy to break up. Emphasize shooting over passing- none of this pass the puck around to show off our mad hockey skilz waiting for the perfect opportunity to shoot bullshit. Shoot the puck early & often- you never know when it might go in. And for God's sake station someone in front of the crease both to distract the goaltender & be available to put rebounds on net.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If JVR isn’t the net front guy on PP1 you might as well waive him.

Submitted too soon. I hear you on Geekie, but we all know the difference in production one can attain moving on to PP1 vs PP2 in todays league of PP1 playing 1:30. Not to say I support Geekie sliding into Bergeron’s slot, but I don’t think the stats mean much in deciding it.
I get it, but he played wing on PP2. To make the leap to slot him to bumper on PP1 just because he's righthanded is a bit much IMO. Zacha bumpered for PP2 when Krejci is out - I think they'll do that on PP1.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I get it, but he played wing on PP2. To make the leap to slot him to bumper on PP1 just because he's righthanded is a bit much IMO. Zacha bumpered for PP2 when Krejci is out - I think they'll do that on PP1.

It’s just a very different look if Zacha is the bumper on his backhand when Marchand has the puck. Gives Pasta more options but without Zacha as a threat to shoot for Marchand not sure how Marchand creates 2 on 1s.

Reactions: BruinDust

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I guess if Zacha was good at that high deflection that Pasta -> Bergeron could do there could be something to Zacha at the bumper... just think Zacha's best place is being able to f***ing rip it (and probably hit a post :) )

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It’s just a very different look if Zacha is the bumper on his backhand when Marchand has the puck. Gives Pasta more options but without Zacha as a threat to shoot for Marchand not sure how Marchand creates 2 on 1s.

Having that right-shot in the bumper is the key to the entire set-up. It's basically a distraction scenario. Work the puck around the right side trying to break down the defenders to get them to overcommit to the bumper only to open up Pasta for the one-timer or the back-door at the left-side of the net. If they take away the one-timer or the back-door play down low on Pasta, opens up the bumper for the scoring chance. Throw in a few point shots to keep it less predictable. Rinse and repeat basically.

To do the reverse mirror image but having Pasta QB the thing from the left-side half wall just to get a left-handed shot in the bumper is insane to me. Would be like asking OV to start QB'ing the Caps PP>

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad