2023-2024 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think we'd have to offer a pretty unique deal for him to come here, something that sort of guarantees that he won't be fired quickly. His stock seems high enough that he should be able to more or less pick a job when he decides he's ready. I think the thing that excites me about Friedman saying we want to talk to him, Army's focus is on the future, it's not about simply finding a guy with NHL experience, that Andy Murray stop gap type. And one of the issues with Berube and Army that was discussed in the past was being able to connect with the younger players. Carle as someone high on our list would indicate to me that the goal would be someone that can fit with the young core and build with them.

And also related to the tanking portion in the other thread, if there is a chance Carle is considering NHL jobs, the fact that were aren't tanking as a strategy and Army has long-term stability, probably helps give Carle some faith that he'd have more of a chance lasting here than say a team like the Sharks. David Quinn might turn out to be a good head coach somewhere else, but there's not a single head coach that was going to last more than he did there. You're just simply set to fail, and tanking is a legitimate excuse to not be fired, even if it's pretty stupid to be fired when the GM is tanking as a strategy.
i don't think the sharks thought they were tanking this hard. they knew they weren't contenders, but i think they thought they would be more on level where montreal was. maybe that was delusional, but i got the sense they thought they underachieved fairly signficantly. now why they thought they should be much better, i can't begin to explain..

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The more I think about it, I won’t be surprised if we use Bannister as the stop gap and keep him for one more year.

I know this board doesn’t like JR but on the radio, he said he’s heard that Montgomery and his family eventually want to come back to STL. His contract with Boston expires next Summer, so that is probably the soonest a reunion could happen.

And maybe in a year, Carle could be more realistic too.

Either way, if Army really wants one of those two guys, Bannister might just be our dummy until we can land one of them.

Reactions: ArenaRat

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The more I think about it, I won’t be surprised if we use Bannister as the stop gap and keep him for one more year.

I know this board doesn’t like JR but on the radio, he said he’s heard that Montgomery and his family eventually want to come back to STL. His contract with Boston expires next Summer, so that is probably the soonest a reunion could happen.

Either way, if Army really wants one of those two guys, Bannister might just be our dummy until we can land one of them.
If that is how it plays out, Bannister gets a year for us to eventually make a play for Monty or Carle when he's more ready, I'm on board. Deep down my hope is that Monty feels like this is a place he'd want to be at long-term since we gave him his chance to return and he seemed like he really enjoyed it here.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If that is how it plays out, Bannister gets a year for us to eventually make a play for Monty or Carle when he's more ready, I'm on board. Deep down my hope is that Monty feels like this is a place he'd want to be at long-term since we gave him his chance to return and he seemed like he really enjoyed it here.
To go even further, Carle was his assistant and succeeded him when Monty left for Dallas, if I recall correctly. He would presumably put in good word for us with Carle if he was planning on staying in Boston.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

I can't really argue against this but I don't have to like it.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I agree. I don’t think Bannister as a stopgap would be bad or detrimental. I would like either Monty or Carle.

I would much rather delay a choice if the choices available are not great.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
To go even further, Carle was his assistant and succeeded him when Monty left for Dallas, if I recall correctly. He would presumably put in good word for us with Carle if he was planning on staying in Boston.
You are correct on that. He took over the Denver bench in 2018 when Montgomery went to Dallas.

Per his coaching bio on the DU website "Prior to being named head coach, Carle served four and a half seasons as an assistant coach with the Pioneers under Jim Montgomery."

Reactions: Blueston

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
I got to go to two DU games this year. I still think he's 3-4 years from the NHL, but, if he takes the Pios to the Frozen Four a few more times, he could jump back in and pretty much name his price. Granted, if the NIL shenanigans blow up in hockey sooner than later, he could jump early.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
I've been watching almost all of the playoff games when I can. Watching today's Jets/Avs game, something felt familiar, then I realized it. Of course, I get trolled from all of my Avs fan friends (because I troll them too :D), so I replied...

1714341758629.png

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I know once upon a time Blues Nation was furious with Larry Pleau as GM for what the Blues didn't do while he was GM, but I would hope they would be even more furious with Brendan Shanahan if he was doing here what he's doing in Toronto even if people had warm fuzzies for him because of his playing days here.

I kind of suspect though that people would still take Shanahan's body of work as team president over Pleau's body of work as GM, especially Pleau's '97-03 stretch.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I know once upon a time Blues Nation was furious with Larry Pleau as GM for what the Blues didn't do while he was GM, but I would hope they would be even more furious with Brendan Shanahan if he was doing here what he's doing in Toronto even if people had warm fuzzies for him because of his playing days here.

I kind of suspect though that people would still take Shanahan's body of work as team president over Pleau's body of work as GM, especially Pleau's '97-03 stretch.
I don't remember that far back, only been here 20 years

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
unless they choke leafs series away, it seems unlikely bruins would be stupid enough to dump him.
I wouldn't hate running it back with Bannister one more year and waiting for Monty's contract to elapse after next season either. Unless we are getting someone like Rod from Carolina

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I wouldn't hate running it back with Bannister one more year and waiting for Monty's contract to elapse after next season either. Unless we are getting someone like Rod from Carolina
agreed. and unless bruins choke, i don't see monty coming free. i don't see rod coming free. failing one of those 2 unlikely scenarios, i think we either should hire carle or stick with bannister. i don't have any desire to bring in another retread (woodcroft, mcllellan, gallant, evason, etc..). next year isn't championship year, so either we hit home run with guy we love or extend bannister and revisit it a year or 2 down the road.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
agreed. and unless bruins choke, i don't see monty coming free. i don't see rod coming free. failing one of those 2 unlikely scenarios, i think we either should hire carle or stick with bannister. i don't have any desire to bring in another retread (woodcroft, mcllellan, gallant, evason, etc..). next year isn't championship year, so either we hit home run with guy we love or extend bannister and revisit it a year or 2 down the road.
I wouldn't mind Woodcroft. I don't think he deserved to be fired, but the goaltending early year completely shit the bed for the Oilers.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Plus, I don’t consider someone with only one previous head coaching gig a retread. He’s a lot different than McLellan or Gallant, who have bounced around between numerous spots.
Also to add, He has won a ton more than he's lost and still a 50/50 coach in the playoffs.

If Campbell and Skinner didn't explode and McDavid wasn't injured at the beginning of this season I can't see him getting fired like he did.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

How do you know we (meaning the Blues and Doug Armstrong) love Carle or don't love Woodcroft. I think we should interview widely and then come to a decision rather than narrow it down to one guy we like or one guy we can tolerate right off the bat.

Even if you know who you want to hire, you should still interview broadly to compare your guy against others. Even if you hire your guy, it can highlight weaknesses and areas of improvement to learn in the job.

Also, we might not be contending next year but I doubt the Blues want to pay for 2 coaches who aren't coaching. I don't think 1 year HC deals are common. We aren't hiring Bannister and then firing him next year when we are ready, only to have Berube and Bannister sitting at home getting a check.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
How do you know we (meaning the Blues and Doug Armstrong) love Carle or don't love Woodcroft. I think we should interview widely and then come to a decision rather than narrow it down to one guy we like or one guy we can tolerate right off the bat.

Even if you know who you want to hire, you should still interview broadly to compare your guy against others. Even if you hire your guy, it can highlight weaknesses and areas of improvement to learn in the job.

Also, we might not be contending next year but I doubt the Blues want to pay for 2 coaches who aren't coaching. I don't think 1 year HC deals are common. We aren't hiring Bannister and then firing him next year when we are ready, only to have Berube and Bannister sitting at home getting a check.
I don’t know for sure what blues think of either guy. I am merely expressing my opinions. I look at woodcraft and don’t see the appeal. I know oil had goaltending issues, but there problems seemed to go deeper. I could be wrong, but I am not impressed by woodcroft as head coach. And I would say if he was our guy, we could have hired him anytime between when we canned Berube and now, as he was unemployed. That we didn’t suggests he isn’t at top of our list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad