2023-2024 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
What’s I find hilarious more than anything is how early in Pietrangelo’s career, FSM did an interview asking what he did to unwind as a professional hockey player. The interview showed him playing Call of Duty with a few others on the team at the time.

Good thing he never made anything of himself in his career to show the evils of video games.
But Call of Duty is a real man’s game and Fortnite is just silly kids games. #amidoingthisalwaysright

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
We are watching something really exciting. We are watching a mature beyond his years 21 year old kid establish a team identity going forward. This team goes to the net, directly. The Neighbourhood. Mr. Jake's Neighbourhood. As a culture. It will grow and build, because it is infectious. That is a winning hockey culture. Thomas-Neighbours has a sort of Federko-Sutter combo to it. There aren't routine fights like there were and those players aren't the same age like Federko-Sutter, but the identity of the offense went through those guys. Bernie wasn't a roughhouser but Sutter just wanted his team to god damn win and would get in there and go after it. He overperformed his talent just like Jake is going to do.

Huge mea culpa because I saw him as more expendable before this year, would have packaged him (for a top pair defenseman, which is still a need) but now he is untradeable. As he just said in intermission 1, he was more of a perimeter player in junior but he has taken the old school Schenn mantle right up. Very impressed with this, and it's crucial that the young talent coming right behind him up front see that and understand they can be part of it and succeed.

They have a mess on D still but Kessel is a bigger help than people realize yet. If they could fix it in a larger way, they could be 3 seasons away from contending (aka making playoffs with real optimism), which is way sooner than I personally expected. Biggest if, ever. But credit Jake Neighbours with a huge portion of that optimism because that aspect is going to be necessary to contend and the Blues have gotten really lucky with this.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
What’s I find hilarious more than anything is how early in Pietrangelo’s career, FSM did an interview asking what he did to unwind as a professional hockey player. The interview showed him playing Call of Duty with a few others on the team at the time.

Good thing he never made anything of himself in his career to show the evils of video games.

Wrong player for this board. Most probably think that is he never played CoD, he'd have been tough enough not the be called creampuff and would have been in more wedding pictures after he left. You know, the important things when judging a player.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
They have a mess on D still but Kessel is a bigger help than people realize yet. If they could fix it in a larger way, they could be 3 seasons away from contending (aka making playoffs with real optimism), which is way sooner than I personally expected. Biggest if, ever. But credit Jake Neighbours with a huge portion of that optimism because that aspect is going to be necessary to contend and the Blues have gotten really lucky with this.
I agree with this. Splitting up Krug and Faulk has been a major positive for this team and Kessel is the reason we can do that.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007

Look at these nerds so addicted to video games they networked laptops on their airplane to play between games: https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/10/13/nba-spurs-starcraft-lan-photo/

They'll never win anything.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I agree with this. Splitting up Krug and Faulk has been a major positive for this team and Kessel is the reason we can do that.
I see a top four defenseman whose game is still growing and his very strong on-ice awareness and competitiveness are big assets. Night and day from Tucker (Tucker was a 7th rounder and his expectation ceiling was never high, to be clear)

Reactions: Mike Liut

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
So, according to ChatGPT, the only Blues players to score at least 25 goals in a season by age 21 are Federko, Gilmour, and Brind’amour. And now, Neighbours. That’s incredible. I’m not sure if ChatGPT will include Neighbours in this list since he turns 22 during this season, so perhaps this list is actually a bit larger.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So, according to ChatGPT, the only Blues players to score at least 25 goals in a season by age 21 are Federko, Gilmour, and Brind’amour. And now, Neighbours. That’s incredible. I’m not sure if ChatGPT will include Neighbours in this list since he turns 22 during this season, so perhaps this list is actually a bit larger.
If I’m not mistaken, sometime during the game today they put up a graphic like this and they included guys who turned 22 that season, so the list was slightly longer but it was still pretty short. I remember Babych and Turnbull are two others that did it. But that might be it, so yeah he’s in some pretty good company either way.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
It’s not too far fetched for Army to move our picks (1st and both 2nd) for a young ascending Dman that fits with our cores age. I think Army is going to be really active this off season.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
It’s not too far fetched for Army to move our picks (1st and both 2nd) for a young ascending Dman that fits with our cores age. I think Army is going to be really active this off season.
While this is really what he should do, I'm more interested in what opinion Army's Magic Board has on the subject, since that's the 'advice' he'll follow.

I'm surprised the Magic Board doesn't have a front office position... yet.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I think for this team to be successful, you have to have guys like Nieghbours. He is just a different kind of player because of how strong he is, but hopefully he can start to bring more young guys with him in getting in front of the net and crashing. I think Toropchenko has exceeded expectations and Alexandrov could try his hand at the net front nuisance (he's not nearly as strong). There's a lot of good players in the system that will be both high IQ offense guys and big body scorers, but I'm curious to see who ends up where. Stenberg, Stancl, and to a much lesser extent Washkurak could be the net front guys. I would really like McGing to take a note from Walker in how he should be playing because Walker always comes up and makes an impact for a good 30 ish games and is surprisingly strong and physical for his height.

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
What is everyone's opinion of Parayko? Do you think he still has it in him to be a good defensemen and rebound or are his days behind him? I personally think that he still has a couple years left of good play but he is being set up to fail with his usage and the rest of the Dcore around him

Parayko is outstanding. Only his lack of goal scoring keeps him from all star status.

I expect him to be around for 4 or 5 more years if his back holds up.

Reactions: Mike Liut

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I know when I am seeing something changing or special unfolding with the Blues, and this is special. Those are three NHL hall of famers.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
While I'm very very excited for Neighbours due to this year, I really want to see him do it again next season.
Agreed, but the thing that gives me hope is that he has a summer to prepare himself for top-6 deployment (vs. 4th line 'identity guy'). That information, along with his general work ethic and play style, bodes well, I think.

On one hand, the book is going to be out on Neighbors going into the next year, on the other — a summer of skating early with Thomas, Buch, etc., probably builds more predictability and comfort among those guys. I'm pretty confident that he's going to do everything he needs to do to better prepare heading into next year. And I think he's a guy that understands that if he's playing with (e.g.) Thomas, he needs to mold his game around that style/player. That maturity is rare.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
He has soft enough hands around the net that by him going there he can make a living. Not every guy has good hands in tight. It's why Parakyo can gallop to the net unabated all he wants but it's not going to translate into much. The combo is hands plus Blue Paint Will

Reactions: taylord22

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
When do we want to start talking about whether to keep Banister or not and if not him then who?

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
I think he’s fine. Not lighting the world on fire but he isn’t holding the team back either. If someone like Bruce Boudreau wants to coach here, I’d hire him though. The average coach lasts about 3 years and we won’t be legit playoff threats for that long so whoever we hire is somewhat irrelevant anyway.

Reactions: ArenaRat

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
That would be sweet. Would like to see him coaching under different management. Carolina doesn't seem to be willing to take the last step to make their best playoff roster.
I get that with previous years but this year they added Guentzel and Kuznetsov. What more did you want them to do?

Reactions: Blueston

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I get that with previous years but this year they added Guentzel and Kuznetsov. What more did you want them to do?
And Guez has proceeded to put up 10 points in 9 games and a +10. And Kuz has put up 5 points in 11 games. They did real well this deadline. They are the team I'm hoping go all the way this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad