Prospect Info: 2023 1st Rd Selection - #28 OA (via BOS, WSH) - C, Easton Cowan [London Knights, OHL; [Height 5.11 -- Weight 185]

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It all depends on what kind of role he’s given Who the coach is will determine that. I don’t want Cowan playing 5 mins a night on the 4th line and scratched for 5 games and then in for another few mins and back to sitting

It really is a shame he can’t play in the AHL. I really don’t think another year in the OHL will benefit him

What’s better, playing in a league that he’s too good for and might get bored and develop bad habits bc it’s all to easy for him…OR….being in the NHL playing 4 mins a game and sitting out for long stretches at a time?

Ideally I’d love for him to get a legitimate chance to have a meaningful role with the Leafs next year but very skeptical he will get that chance. An old school coach like a Craig Berube isn’t going to play a rookie in the top 9 and on special teams.

Playing 1 in X games, getting a feel for what he can and can’t get away with physically, and spending the rest of the time in the gym and with skills coaches isn’t as bad as you’re making it sound. His game sense is there, he just needs to add 10 pounds, shoot harder, skate faster, and battle better against NHL bodies on the boards. His path to being an effective asset is very linear, he doesn’t need to reinvent his game he just needs to improve his mechanical/physical skills enough to play his game against 6’2 210 D that can skate, he won’t get that opportunity in the OHL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Turned 20 this year.
Played 59 AHL games, so guessing he was in the AHL in 2023 as a 19 year old.

Cowan will turn 20 next year, but not until May so maybe splitting hairs, but Wright turned 20 during the AHL season, and Cowan probably would be after the AHL season.

But once it is good for the goose ...

Cowan was born May 20th, 2005 so he will celebrating his 19th birthday in 4 days. He was one of the younger players of his draft class and earned both OHL regular season and playoff MVP as an 18 year old, .

1715924019988.png

Cowan would play next year as a 19 year old.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Shane Wright got an exemption to play in the AHL this year and he achieved a hell of a lot less in the OHL. I’d imagine with the precedent being set, Cowan can do the same given he’s won all you can in the OHL.
Never going to happen. Wright missed out on being AHL eligible this season by like missing out on 4 games during one of his OHL seasons. Not to mention his years being impacted by Covid. He was an exceptional status player, and by him missing his eligibility to be AHL by like 4 games, they decided to make the exception for him.

Cowan has none of this working for him. He only just played his 2nd OHL season. Wright was already at 4 OHL seasons by this age.

Reactions: 7even

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Never going to happen. Wright missed out on being AHL eligible this season by like missing out on 4 games during one of his OHL seasons. Not to mention his years being impacted by Covid. He was an exceptional status player, and by him missing his eligibility to be AHL by like 4 games, they decided to make the exception for him.

Cowan has none of this working for him. He only just played his 2nd OHL season. Wright was already at 4 OHL seasons by this age.
On the other hand he just won MVP, playoff MVP, OHL championship.

Now that there is a precedent I can see another exception being made for a player who has won all there is to win.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
On the other hand he just won MVP, playoff MVP, OHL championship.

Now that there is a precedent I can see another exception being made for a player who has won all there is to win.
I don't think the exception is given on abilities. The whole point of their agreement is to keep talent in juniors to help keep the league competitive and relevant.

If all the top tier players leave for Pro leagues, especially outside the NHL, juniors becomes weaker and it negatively impacts the pipeline.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I don't think the exception is given on abilities. The whole point of their agreement is to keep talent in juniors to help keep the league competitive and relevant.

If all the top tier players leave for Pro leagues, especially outside the NHL, juniors becomes weaker and it negatively impacts the pipeline.
So we're saying the exception for Wright was based on service time, not ability?

I understand the rule and why there weren't exceptions but now there has been one and it opens the door.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
So we're saying the exception for Wright was based on service time, not ability?

I understand the rule and why there weren't exceptions but now there has been one and it opens the door.
Yes. He missed the cutoffs largely due to covid, otherwise he would have been AHL eligible without the exception. He also missed the age cutoff by 5 days.

None of what I saw was ability driven

Reactions: Peasy

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
One heck of a decision.
19 this month. MVP over season and playoffs.
Very good scorer and rounded player.
A little small to survive in NHL with his style, he isn’t a water bug.
I have never seen it work out to send a guy back to Junior to work on details of his game when he is at the top of his league now. To have him not use his best skills always concerns me, it changes his game. Can you imagine telling McDavid to be more defensive at age 19.
I question if the Leaf organization is capable on this one. AM was bigger and came from a different system, quite developed, Willie is strictly an offensive player and matter what anyone told him he was not changing, Mitchy has failed to become a stronger guy.
Cowan is more a Sittler, rounded already, needs muscle and a touch of bulk.
What a game this boy has, can the Leafs handle him.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Nothing wrong with his skating from the time he was drafted and nothing wrong with it now. In fact it's one of his greatest assets. Trust me I know I've seen him live before.

That's what happens. It's very dangerous to give young players max contracts. Then they have nothing to work for.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Fonzieleaf

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
The NHL, more then ever before is a place kids can go to play.

He needs to be on the Leafs for at least the first 10 games.
Ya I wouldn't worry about a year of his contract at all honestly. Give him as many games as he can handle and send him back for the WJC/OHL playoff stretch if we don't think he's ready for NHL playoff action yet. If he can handle 9 games, cool. If he can handle 27 games, cool. If he can hack out a full season -WJC, cool.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ya I wouldn't worry about a year of his contract at all honestly. Give him as many games as he can handle and send him back for the WJC/OHL playoff stretch if we don't think he's ready for NHL playoff action yet. If he can handle 9 games, cool. If he can handle 27 games, cool. If he can hack out a full season -WJC, cool.

How many "conditioning stints" are permitted after not playing for 5 games?

5 games on 5 games off conditioning stint 5 games on ... WJC ...

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008

I agree the door is open a crack. I don't think you can fit Cowan through that crack.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The leafs needs to have the cap flexibility to run a 23 man roster next season. Cowan should not go back to the OHL, but they also cannot have expectations for him to be an everyday NHLer to start next season. Let him and Minten stay with the team and get in 2-3 out of every 10 for the first half as they ease into the NHL. Maybe they can be x-factors in the playoffs.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I don't think this will be a difficult decision at all. Let him start the season in the NHL unless he is terribly overmatched in training camp (he won't be), and don't get fussed if he struggles at the start of the season. It won't "ruin" his development. No matter what, send him to the WJC in December so that he gets that experience, and then you can always send him back to the OHL for the stretch drive and playoffs.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The leafs needs to have the cap flexibility to run a 23 man roster next season. Cowan should not go back to the OHL, but they also cannot have expectations for him to be an everyday NHLer to start next season. Let him and Minten stay with the team and get in 2-3 out of every 10 for the first half as they ease into the NHL. Maybe they can be x-factors in the playoffs.
That’s an interesting approach I was thinking of but with Greb and Cowan splitting time - maybe in a third line role and sneaking a few games from the fourth. Let it play out, there’s good reason to think both can contribute as part-timers.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
How many "conditioning stints" are permitted after not playing for 5 games?

5 games on 5 games off conditioning stint 5 games on ... WJC ...
I'm not too sure.. Probably could swing like 9 NHL games and then a 2 week stint in the AHL. But I wouldn't worry about a year on his deal anyways. Play him where he can play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad