Prospect Info: [2023 - 197th] Luke Mittelstadt (NCAA - University of Minnesota)

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
2023 NHL Draft Sleepers And Intriguing Late-Round Pick Possibilities - FloHockey

Luke Mittelstadt, D, University of Minnesota​

A third-year draft-eligible who was passed over last year despite an exceptional season in the USHL, Mitteldstadt followed that up with an effective, productive freshman campaign with the Golden Gophers. He played some of his best hockey toward the end of the season for the national runner up and also played for Team USA at the World Junior Championship. Mittelstadt moves pucks well, has good vision to find seams and get pucks up ice quickly. He’s an average defender with compete that can go in and out. Still, he’s going to be the kind of player that attracts major attention as a college free agent if he does not get picked. A team that needs more mobility and puck movement from their back end would do well to add Mittelstadt in the second half of the draft.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I actually advocated for his drafting in the 7th round in 2021, so weird too see him drafted there two years later. Lol

He didn't get drafted in 2022 despite a really good season in USHL. He needs a lot of work on his D, but it sounds like that aspect of it is at least improving.

He's produced at all levels so far. Probably won't amount to anything, but I like the pick nonetheless!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
FWIW, LM was terrific down the stretch for Minnesota as they went on their National title run. He had some nights were he was better than Jackson Lacombe(who was also really good), and sometimes even Brock Faber. Certainly more so than 2022 1st rounder Chesley.

Like all 7th rounders, he's a long shot, but he has some talent.

Last edited:

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I'm confused on Mittelstadt. The kid is good enough to make the USA World Junior Team, has decent size at 5'11, 185lb, and put up some impressive numbers in the USHL and was voted to the USHL first team all-star team.

He also put up solid numbers this year with a really good NCAA team in Minnesota and was voted to the NCAA Championship All-Tournament Team. His brother a solid NHLer and former #8 overall.

Somehow Luke gets passed over in both the 2021 & 2022 drafts and drops all the way to the 7th round this year. Are there character issues? Does he interview poorly? I don't get it because everything else makes this kid look like a solid addition and a great prospect.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
A few draft analysts have said overagers are good picks late in the draft. Hughes seems to believe it and they haven’t done too badly at it so far.
who do you have in mind? Davidson, Tourigny?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm confused on Mittelstadt. The kid is good enough to make the USA World Junior Team, has decent size at 5'11, 185lb, and put up some impressive numbers in the USHL and was voted to the USHL first team all-star team.

He also put up solid numbers this year with a really good NCAA team in Minnesota and was voted to the NCAA Championship All-Tournament Team. His brother a solid NHLer and former #8 overall.

Somehow Luke gets passed over in both the 2021 & 2022 drafts and drops all the way to the 7th round this year. Are there character issues? Does he interview poorly? I don't get it because everything else makes this kid look like a solid addition and a great prospect.

Who knows about all that. But it is all to our benefit.

Reactions: StCaufield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad