Prospect Info: [2023 - 144th] Yevgeni Volokhin (MHL - Mamonty Yugry)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I hope we can get him to NA next year (anywhere in the CHL)

not possible due to being under contract in Russia. The only way is if they let him go. The good thing is that while he's in Russia, there's no deadline to sign him so they can take their time with him, let the others get their time and then you have Fowler perhaps say 13/14 months from now turning pro so it could get real crowded if they brought him over after next season.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
It's a bit of a funny thing to see his dominating Stateline in the MHL and then go to his team stats only to realize that his stats are in line with the other two goalies for the team. It seems like noone is able to score in the MHL.

That being said, the Philly goalie seems quite good in Russia, so similar stats are not a bad thing in itself.

I know scouting by stats is not a good way to do it, I hope he mechanically looks good out there. Russia has definitely been good at developing goalies so I like this dart.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's a bit of a funny thing to see his dominating Stateline in the MHL and then go to his team stats only to realize that his stats are in line with the other two goalies for the team. It seems like noone is able to score in the MHL.

That being said, the Philly goalie seems quite good in Russia, so similar stats are not a bad thing in itself.

I know scouting by stats is not a good way to do it, I hope he mechanically looks good out there. Russia has definitely been good at developing goalies so I like this dart.

He's on the best team in the MHL, they lead the MHL with just 73 GA's, out of the 37 team league, only 3 other teams have let in under 100 GA's, 88, 90, 96.

The Flyers goalie is having a historic season in the VHL but they must be so deep in goalies cause he is only the backup and just doesn't play that much despite his jaw dropping #'s.

I haven't seen the 17 year old that's got 8 games but he's 7-1 with the same stats so it shows their defense is sick but Volokhin has had the bulk of the starts so it comes down to how much of the team's success is due to him. Same goes for Fowler imo, as his team is the best at shot blocking out of the 60ish NCAA schools. So how much of them being the top rated team in the NCAA is due to Fowler or the defense.

Either way it's great to see our goalies putting up just sick numbers. I wish Fowler was a little taller and it would be cool if Volokhin got some KHL games to see how he would do.

Reactions: Sam de Mtl

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Even if he doesn't turn out to be anything, I love taking a chance on a Russian goalie with limited exposure given there has been some gems from there in the last decade.

Shesterkin spent most of his draft year in the MHL, Sorokin spent a lot of time in the MHL before playing 1/3 of the games in the KHL his draft year then guys like Kotchekov and Tarasov spent most of their draft years in the MHL/VHL. Bobrovsky went undrafted and then wasn't signed until he put up solid numbers in the KHL.

Who knows how he'll end up in the future, but I'd much rather take a chance on a Russian goalie than some CHL level prospect given the quality we've seen out of Russia compared to Canada in recent years.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Hope they get this Volokhin kid out of Russia as soon as possible, things wont get any better with the elections results

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
They might even let him stay over longer. I'd like to see VHL next year and maybe two years in the KHL
The advantage of having so much quantity at G in the pipeline is thatl we can let them simmer. Most of them (Volohkin, Fowler, Miller) will probably hit their prime in the next 4 to 7 years. Montembeault became what he is now recently at 25/26. There is no rush at all.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I miss the CHL Challenge or Remax Challenge where Russia was sending a team to face Team Q, O and WHL. Those were some fun games to watch.
I think they’re more focused on facing the Team Ukraine.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
I think it’s fair to say that our GOTF is probably either Monty, Primeau, Fowler or him.

Crazy how Montreal keep pull goalies out of it ***

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Today was the first time since.....September 19 that he gave 4 goals....lol.

Ridiculous.

Reactions: jaffy27

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
He's the anti-Fowler. Felt a modicum of pressure as fans an ocean away started talking about him and subsequently collapsed.
Obviously. I hear Hughes has every new prospect register on hfboards as soon as they are drafted, then he sends them an alert as soon as there is a post on their thread.

True story

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad