Prospect Info: 2023 142nd Overall - Mikhail Ye. Ilyin

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
my favorite Russian scout poster (caser) wasn't impressed.:dunno:

"I'm not a huge fan, but he is a versatile and reliable playmaker, not sure I see anything else there, but the Penguins scout is Alex Khavanov and he knows his stuff much better than me."

Last edited:

deakka

Nov 6, 2009

"I'm not a huge fan, but he is a versatile and reliable playmaker, not sure I see anything else there, but the Penguins scout is Alex Khavanov and he knows his stuff much better than me."
"versatile and reliable playmaker" doesn't sound that bad for a 5th round pick tbh!

Reactions: The Old Master

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

To be totally honest, already at this point I feel I was totally wrong and had clearly underestimated his smarts.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
This guy has put up 22 points in 42gp in the KHL as an 18 year old. That's very good.

Pens may have a gem on their hands. It'd be awesome if this guy turns into a middle six forward in a few years.
I wonder if there's any chance to get him over here before Malkin retires.

Pens haven't had a real Russian prospect in quite some time. Now they have Ilyin and Murashov, plus Tankov lurking as a possible diamond in the rough.

It'd be nice to have them for a full season, but even if it's just for a training camp or two, I think that might be a nice bonus.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I wonder if there's any chance to get him over here before Malkin retires.

Pens haven't had a real Russian prospect in quite some time. Now they have Ilyin and Murashov, plus Tankov lurking as a possible diamond in the rough.

It'd be nice to have them for a full season, but even if it's just for a training camp or two, I think that might be a nice bonus.
And what's exciting is that Ilyin and Murashov are playing very well. Ilyin is a full-time player while Murashov is just a back up but still, I think we have a year or two for them to continue to develop. Bringing over a Mikheyev-level forward and a Shesterkin-level goalie at the same time Yager and Pickering should be on the roster has exciting potential.

EDIT: I didn't realize that Yager was the 2nd leading WJC Canada scorer behind Celebrini. 5pts (2-3) in 5gp. Not bad!

Last edited:
Reactions: Josey Wales

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
What's your process for even getting players over from Russia at the moment?

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
And what's exciting is that Ilyin and Murashov are playing very well. Ilyin is a full-time player while Murashov is just a back up but still, I think we have a year or two for them to continue to develop. Bringing over a Mikheyev-level forward and a Shesterkin-level goalie at the same time Yager and Pickering should be on the roster has exciting potential.

EDIT: I didn't realize that Yager was the 2nd leading WJC Canada scorer behind Celebrini. 5pts (2-3) in 5gp. Not bad!
I've heard a comparison for Ilyin is Buchnevich. I don't know how well-founded that comparison is, but it's an intriguing one.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Remains to be seen if the skating will translate but a lot of these highlights remind me of Guentzel where literally no physical tool sticks out except him being in the right spot.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Remains to be seen if the skating will translate but a lot of these highlights remind me of Guentzel where literally no physical tool sticks out except him being in the right spot.
Might be why he fell. Last year he was on Cherepovets' bottom lines and scouts were like "okay he's playing in the KHL and all but he's not big, he's not fast and he isn't scoring so what's to like here?" Guessing even our scouts felt the same way to some extent or else they would've picked him higher than they did.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I love players with great hockey sense. Always have. And hey, hard to argue with a kid who wears #99, right?
Wayne Gretzky
Wilf Paiement
Mikhail Ye. Ilyin

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Might be why he fell. Last year he was on Cherepovets' bottom lines and scouts were like "okay he's playing in the KHL and all but he's not big, he's not fast and he isn't scoring so what's to like here?" Guessing even our scouts felt the same way to some extent or else they would've picked him higher than they did.
Imo if you can score at a .5ppg clip in the KHL at 18 years old there's a damned good chance you're gonna make it as an NHLer.

I value production way more than tools. All Jake did was produce everywhere he went and bam here he is as an elite NHLer years later.

If Ilya produces like this in the KHL and it's not a one year mirage he's going to be an NHLer of some kind at some point. There's just no way you produce like that and don't become something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad