Prospect Info: [2023 - 110th] Bogdan Konyushkov (KHL - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No. An NHL entry level contract cap minor league salary to $70k (unless they bumped it recently) and the performance bonus are for the NHL only. Signing bonus are also capped on ELC (95k max).
So his first year here, he'll want to play in the NHL. Good chance he plays put those last two years of his KHL contract.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So his first year here, he'll want to play in the NHL. Good chance he plays put those last two years of his KHL contract.

Financially speaking, he's better off where he is. Development wise, he's better off where he is, as well.

The advantage Konyushkov has in the KHL is that on the team he plays for, he's on their top D pair, plays a lot of minutes and in all situations. And he's producing. So he's also developing his offensive game.

Had he been on a third line/healthy scratch and playing 10 or so minutes, I wouldn't be happy.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Financially speaking, he's better off where he is. Development wise, he's better off where he is, as well.

The advantage Konyushkov has in the KHL is that on the team he plays for, he's on their top D pair, plays a lot of minutes and in all situations. And he's producing. So he's also developing his offensive game.

Had he been on a third line/healthy scratch and playing 10 or so minutes, I wouldn't be happy.

His arrival should coincide with a moment where we have to trade out a young defenseman because of the salary structure.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
is his nickname The Sled? Tommy Gun?

Pictured here with Plekanec :
bogdan.jpg

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
No. An NHL entry level contract cap minor league salary to $70k (unless they bumped it recently) and the performance bonus are for the NHL only. Signing bonus are also capped on ELC (95k max).

Also I believe Khl salaries are tax free which further adds to the disparity.

Reactions: montreal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I view him like a big steal in draft with top 4 D potential, just like Adam Engstrom, not style, just the fact that they are big steal with top 4 D potential, even more.

I look at the Konyushkov pick similar to Engstrom and Romanov. They're all D picks we weren't familiar with. In Romanov's case specifically, the collective reaction was "WTF?"

Then we realized how good Romanov was. And he's been a full time NHL'er and on a Top-4 with the Isles. We are excited about Engstrom. And now Konyushkov is already a top pair D on a KHL team at 21.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I look at the Konyushkov pick similar to Engstrom and Romanov. They're all D picks we weren't familiar with. In Romanov's case specifically, the collective reaction was "WTF?"

Then we realized how good Romanov was. And he's been a full time NHL'er and on a Top-4 with the Isles. We are excited about Engstrom. And now Konyushkov is already a top pair D on a KHL team at 21.

I liked Romanov - I was surprised he went as early as he did because he wasn't projected there.

One thing I have learned is - that sometimes those WTF picks end up being the best of the bunch, and the ones we all wanted, or ones we all universally clapped for, end up poorly.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
so Konyushkov has to be signed before June 2025, but i'm assuming he still has to stay in Russia until the end of 2026 to fulfill that contract?

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Habs Prospect.com does say 2025 too FWIW.
Interesting. As far as I know playing rights to players drafted out of Russia are kept indefinitely by the drafting team. Capfriendly.com has him listed as indefinite. Then again they also have Sobolev listed as having to be signed by June of 2025. Sobolev is a Russian player that was drafted out of the OHL, so I thought the 2 year rule applied to him. Not sure how it works when it comes to Russian players that come to North America to play.

Konyushov has never played in North America though, so I would assume his rights are held indefinitely just like all other players drafted out of a Russian league.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
One thing I have learned is - that sometimes those WTF picks end up being the best of the bunch, and the ones we all wanted, or ones we all universally clapped for, end up poorly.
I 100% agree and this is why I now STFU about any picks after the 1st round, as much as I'm or was a draft junkie, I wasn't watching 95% of players post the top 20/30 enough to give a proper judgement.

I've had some guys that went late the last couple years as favorites that went on to do well, a recent one was Henry Thrun which over achieved for his round status but yes most of the guys the board here wants as 2nd to 7th rounders end up busting and those WTF picks end up being the real swings to the fence

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I view him like a big steal in draft with top 4 D potential, just like Adam Engstrom, not style, just the fact that they are big steal with top 4 D potential, even more.

So far it looks like we've had some really good picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds of the HuGo era:
2022: Beck, Hutson, Engstrom
2023: Fowler, Bogdan

It's early for all 5 of these players, but we'll see...

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
So far it looks like we've had some really good picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds of the HuGo era:
2022: Beck, Hutson, Engstrom
2023: Fowler, Bogdan

It's early for all 5 of these players, but we'll see...
I’m feeling really confident in HUGO. They proven to make a lot of shrewd moves, the drafting seems to be on point, and most importantly- development seems to be an actual intention by design. We’re not only going to draft better but also increase the odds of maximizing these picks. One sign of a future contender

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Konyushkov's season is done. They lost 3-0 today and lost the series 4-1 (they won Game 1 and then SKA won the next 4).

Konyushkov's year: 28 pts (6G, 22A) in 65 GP and 1 assist in 5 playoff games.
Ahhh it's all good with Bogdan
Our 3 NHL RD atm are Guhle, Savard, Kovasevic
The 3 RD in farm/system are Barron, Mailloux, Reinbacher

There's.. barely any room lol

Bogdan was always more of a possible trade asset more than anything really (not that I'm saying you thought different lol)

Reactions: Adam Michaels

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Ahhh it's all good with Bogdan
Our 3 NHL RD atm are Guhle, Savard, Kovasevic
The 3 RD in farm/system are Barron, Mailloux, Reinbacher

There's.. barely any room lol

Bogdan was always more of a possible trade asset more than anything really (not that I'm saying you thought different lol)
Bogdan can't come over until the 2026-2025 season. Savard/Kovacevic will be gone by then and I expect Guhle to be back to LD, he's only playing RD until Barron shows he's not busting or Mailloux learn to play in his own zone or Reinbacher shows he can play in the NHL.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Bogdan can't come over until the 2026-2025 season. Savard/Kovacevic will be gone by then and I expect Guhle to be back to LD, he's only playing RD until Barron shows he's not busting or Mailloux learn to play in his own zone or Reinbacher shows he can play in the NHL.
No i know lol
Still no room, don't want an undersized offensive D at 3D and Hutson will already be taking care of the only role Bogdan would ever of been of use to us

Pretty much the exact thing that's currently happening to Jordan Harris as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad