Prospect Info: [2023 - 101st] Florian Xhekaj (OHL - Brantford Bulldogs)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That's what happens when you entrust idiots with the development of your top prospects.

Don't forget how they handled Leblanc.
I'm still not sold on Houle but i have to say he's much better than Sly. At least kids coming from the AHL now look ready. I remember when Sly was out AHL coach kids would look good at the camp then spend 30-40 games in the AHL then they were recalled because of injury and they would look totally lost. Every season that passed under Sly the kids would look more lost than the previous ones. Now at least when we call up a kid he looks ready and well prepared.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Florian had the Gordie Howe hat trick in that game. I think the Habs may have caught lighting in a bottle twice with the Xhekaj family. Florian’s improvement is almost identical to the trajectory that Arber had in juniors albeit in different positions. If you watch the highlights from that game, you’ll notice that Florian won almost every draw he took all night, he was put on the ice in all situations, and he made things happen constantly. I wouldn’t pencil him in to any fourth line role yet, I think that we may have a lot more here. If he can work on his speed/explosiveness, he possesses all the tools to be a force. A big Joel Otto type shutdown center. Here’s the extended highlights of that game:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
His first goal he went in on a partial breakaway and deked the goalie.
The more I watch Florian Xhekaj, the more I become impressed with his overall hockey skills. He sees the ice well and has an offensive ability that allows him to see the flow of play and pass to zones where a team mate will (or should ) be. He makes numerous intuitive, if not subtle passes that are not expected of a player who is seen as a large, physical secondary forward. The fact that Brantford uses him on the right point/half boards on their number one power play unit is not surprising. His vision, anticipation and passing skills are as good as any player on the Bulldogs.

The younger Xhekaj reminds me in many ways of MacKenzie Entwistle, now of the Chicago Black Hawks. While Xhekaj displays a much higher offensive skill level and plays a more physical game than Entwistle, he does not have Entwistle's overall skating ability. He does not yet possess NHL level skating, but if Xhekaj can gain a bit more quickness, there's no reason he can't be an important bottom six forward for the Canadiens in the near future.

Last edited:

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The more I watch Florian Xhekaj, the more I become impressed with his overall hockey skills. He sees the ice well and has an offensive ability that allows him to see the flow of play and pass to zones where a team mate will (or should ) be. He makes numerous intuitive, if not subtle passes that is not expected of a player who is seen as a large, secondary forward. The fact that Brantford uses him on the right point/half boards man on their number one power play unit is not surprising. His vision, anticipation and passing skills are as good as any player on the Bulldogs.

The younger Xhekaj reminds me in many ways of MacKenzie Entwistle, now of the Chicago Black Hawks. While Xhekaj displays a much higher offensive skill level and plays a more physical game than Entwistle, he does not have Entwistle's overall skating ability. He does not yet possess NHL level skating, but if Xhekaj can gain a bit more quickness, there's no reason he can't be an important bottom six forward for the Canadiens in the near future.

Great to hear! I think Florian could end up a 2nd/3rd line guy if he can do what you say and be prepared for NHL speed and pace. The family connection will help too. We know that their family have a lot of character and I think he'll work hard to be ready

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
He was great in game 5, does so many things well out there and is just a nasty piece of business to play against. I'd say he's more physically aggressive then his brother, dude loves to cross check people.
He was equally impressive in Game 4 and could easily have had two or more goals. He still has a ways to go, but if he gets there, Xhekaj may prove to have been one of the steals of his draft cohort.

I wouldn't bet against this kid. He has that unmistakable look and bearing. Now if we can only draft his team mate Vanacker.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He was equally impressive in Game 4 and could easily have had two or more goals. He still has a ways to go, but if he gets there, Xhekaj may prove to have been one of the steals of his draft cohort.

I wouldn't bet against this kid. He has that unmistakable look and bearing. Now if we can only draft his team mate Vanacker.

I am very impressed with him, so much so that I think he could be better then his brother as he's got some hands for sure but once he matures physically a bit more he's going to be such a force physically.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Brantford was just eliminated from the playoffs now comes the question does Xhekaj play in Laval next season or go back to Brantford to play as an over age player.

Xhekaj may be joining Laval soon

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Brantford was just eliminated from the playoffs now comes the question does Xhekaj play in Laval next season or go back to Brantford to play as an over age player.

Xhekaj may be joining Laval soon

I would be thrilled to see him in Laval but it all depends on available slots vs who we have to bring in Laval. We don't have to bring him while we may have to find a spot for an undrafted PTO we really like. Tbd eh...

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I would be thrilled to see him in Laval but it all depends on available slots vs who we have to bring in Laval. We don't have to bring him while we may have to find a spot for an undrafted PTO we really like. Tbd eh...

Would make a lot of sense to at least get him around the team (like they did with Roy & Kidney at the end of last season). Hope he can play a few, he's probably already a middle 6 guy in Laval due to the thinness of our forward group (both talent/size).

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I find his skating to be good. Everyone is saying he needs to work on it. I think he will improve but its not a weakness to me. Am i missing something?
Its his lack of quickness. Hockey isn't played in 200 ft segments, but in 5 to 10 ft scrambles. Xhekaj looks clumsy against OHL level competition. He'll be invisible in the NHL unless he gets quicker.

Reactions: Habssince89

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Its his lack of quickness. Hockey isn't played in 200 ft segments, but in 5 to 10 ft scrambles. Xhekaj looks clumsy against OHL level competition. He'll be invisible in the NHL unless he gets quicker.

He is fine for a big guy, especially one who is just coming off of a major growth spurt. It is close to a non-issue but I would agree that he will need to improve in order to be a top six player but he is trending well for a bottom six physical/energy player who should be able to chip in offensively. His skating is better than Greentree's and better than Mark Stone or Ryan O'Reilly at the same age although their enormous IQ's help to mitigate that.

You are definitely amplifying a somewhat minor issue unnecessarily into a major issue. His skating has improved from the start of the season and I expect that trend to continue over the next few years. I think that you are making the common mistake of mistaking a longer initial stride for a lack of quickness when it is more of an optical issue than an actual issue. Taller players never appear to be as quick as smaller players even though they are often covering the same/similar ground. The clumsiness is also just another conflation where you are mistaking the advantage shorter players have from an agility perspective in smalll areas due to their shorter strides and ability to change direction whereas a taller play looks clumsy trying to change direction mid-stride. There are just advantages that specific body types have over other body types and that is not going to change and is not something that can be completely overcome.

I am in agreement that he could use a little more speed/quickness/agility but he grades decently enough in these categories that there is reason to be confident that he will be fine.

Reactions: Runner77 and mdk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad