WC: 2022 Women's World Championships

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
One other thing I’ll mention in regards to the rest of the world catching up.

We shouldn’t be measuring their success against US or Canada, at least not yet.

The gap was just too big initially and it takes time to grow (literally) hockey players.

What we should be looking at is their success against each other. And right now at least, the competitiveness in the “second tier” is improving. Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czechia, Japan, and Switzerland are all competitive against each other. Whereas 20-30 years ago that wasn’t the case.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
One other thing I’ll mention in regards to the rest of the world catching up.

We shouldn’t be measuring their success against US or Canada, at least not yet.

The gap was just too big initially and it takes time to grow (literally) hockey players.

What we should be looking at is their success against each other. And right now at least, the competitiveness in the “second tier” is improving. Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czechia, Japan, and Switzerland are all competitive against each other. Whereas 20-30 years ago that wasn’t the case.
The dream is that 3 to 8 get very competitive and start pushing the Big 2.

I don't think the current format takes into account that 3 to 8 is very even though.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
This tourney was overall a good thing for the women's game with the Czechs making a massive step.

The Gold medal game has to have been the worst i've ever watched in the history of Canada vs USA. The quality of play was absolute shit and not a good advertisement for the women's game.

Reactions: gimbznyr and Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This tourney was overall a good thing for the women's game with the Czechs making a massive step.

The Gold medal game has to have been the worst i've ever watched in the history of Canada vs USA. The quality of play was absolute shit and not a good advertisement for the women's game.
To be completely honest I much prefer watching women's Games that don’t involve Canada or the USA. When these two teams play each other it’s most often a boring “don’t make any mistakes” defensive chess match, and Shen they play other countries those games are blowouts. The other teams playing against each other are far more entertaining.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Gold medal game has to have been the worst I've ever watched in the history of Canada vs USA. The quality of play was absolute shit and not a good advertisement for the women's game.
I never thought about it but you are right - it was a poorly played game.

The other teams playing against each other are far more entertaining.
That may be true but it's hard to get excited about games that have no consequence - the women's game needs other teams to take the next step (or 2 or 3).

The lack of anything interesting beyond the Big 5 (or 6?) has also hurt the men's game.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Wich womens teams have full professionals? (living only on the income from hockey)

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Do people really think that officials favor their home country based on nationality in a medal game?

You should watch the 2002 womens Olympic gold medal game. Which was hosted in the USA…

Which had an American referee, who personally called 11 penalties against Canada. Thats more than an entire period of penalties!

Stacey Livingston and her phantom tripping calls against Canada, lol..
Team Canada vs Livingston + Team USA combined, in the US, somehow pulled it off.

Team USA had it comin though, with their behaviour and crap they were doin.

Actually, Hilary Knight got served some sweet humble pie this Championship too. I remember reading an article about her earlier, where before the tournament had even started she was saying something like “we’re the best team and we know it”.

That stuff just gives fuel and motivation for other teams, and when it comes back to burn you, everyone else feels ”you deserved that”.

Last edited:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
True but.... Would you bet your last $100 on it NOT being a Can/US final?

I wouldn't.

It's crazy. I don't know why the gap has not closed (more than it has).
I absolutely know why the gap hasn’t closed. The problem is that Canada and the US are in an arms race with one another. If one team has an ounce of complacency in this matchup, they will suddenly find themselves losing all those one goal games instead of winning them. These two teams face a competitive pressure that no other women’s team faces. Essentially, what we are seeing is the process of evolution in action.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You should watch the 2002 womens Olympic gold medal game. Which was hosted in the USA…

Which had an American referee, who personally called 11 penalties against Canada. Thats more than an entire period of penalties!

Team Canada vs Livingston + Team USA combined, in the US, somehow pulled it off.

Actually, Hilary Knight got served some sweet humble pie this Championship too. I remember reading an article about her earlier, where before the tournament had even started she was saying something like “we’re the best team and we know it”.

That stuff just gives fuel and motivation for other teams, and when it comes back to burn you, everyone else feels ”you deserved that”.
The 2002 women's gold medal game is a notable instance of extremely horrible refereeing in a big hockey game, you're correct. Probably the biggest example. It also hasn't really been approached in 20 years and is a big outlier at this point. Plus, it's difficult to know how much was just complete and total incompetence.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1662392903420.png

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
FTR I think the difference between Czechs in third and Swedes in 7th is miniscule. And I may be 'sleeping on' Hungary here unfairly.

Pool A
Canada
Czechs
Japan
Swedes
Germans

Pool B
US
Finns
Swiss
Hungary
whoever got promoted

Classic 1 vs 4 quarterfinal

It won't eliminate blowouts but it will give 3 to 8 a chance to play each other and every nation gets the honor of a blowout from the big 2!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I absolutely know why the gap hasn’t closed. The problem is that Canada and the US are in an arms race with one another. If one team has an ounce of complacency in this matchup, they will suddenly find themselves losing all those one goal games instead of winning them. These two teams face a competitive pressure that no other women’s team faces. Essentially, what we are seeing is the process of evolution in action.
Yup. Well said.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Which had an American referee, who personally called 11 penalties against Canada. That's more than an entire period of penalties!

The 2002 Women Olympic GMG was one of the low points in the history of International Hockey. And it was so obvious.

I have no idea what happened to that ref, but she should have been banned for life.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The 2002 Women Olympic GMG was one of the low points in the history of International Hockey. And it was so obvious.

I have no idea what happened to that ref, but she should have been banned for life.
That was definitely brutal, 9 penalties or something in the second.
Never seen Wickenheiser so mad.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That was definitely brutal, 9 penalties or something in the second.
Never seen Wickenheiser so mad.
I was at the gym working out. There was about 10 of us who were glued to the gym's TV and we were having a fit every time Canada got called for another penalty. We kept thinking, "We can't kill off ANOTHER penalty, can we?" Thank God we did.

I can honestly say, that game was the MOST relieved I've ever felt when the clock ran out.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
I was at the gym working out. There was about 10 of us who were glued to the gym's TV and we were having a fit every time Canada got called for another penalty. We kept thinking, "We can't kill off ANOTHER penalty, can we?" Thank God we did.

I can honestly say, that game was the MOST relieved I've ever felt when the clock ran out.

The only thing more hilarious for me than how bad the ref was, was just how awful the US powerplay was.

2 goals on that many man advantages all game is just pathetic.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad