WC: 2022 Women's World Championships

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
The USA vs. Japan game is on NHL Network.

correct. and I'm not at home so other than watching on my sat app on my phone (which in theory eats up data) I have no options to watch while at work unless I want to do a free trial of Sling or Fubo and for most people, that's not allowed if they're in the office.
doesn't mean that I'm NOT watching, of course. :lol:

Reactions: Summer Rose

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'll watch some of Canada-Finland later. That's a quality game for the first day.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
It's quite likely, but Finland did win gold a few years ago. Sweden won silver at the Olympics in 2006. Upsets do happen.
Finland won the silver as they had a goal called back in OT and the US eventually won the game in a shootout. The Fins almost pulled off the miracle of beating Canada and the US back to back.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Ah. My mistake then, sorry.
Not a big deal, I had to check because I remember watching the game and goal being called back.

The US streak of 5 straight World Championship golds ended last year so they should be fairly motivated to win this years tournament.

HabSgt

Go Habs D'OH
Oct 19, 2019
Montreal
How are Canada, USA, Finland & Switzerland all in the same group for round robin play? These were the top 4 teams last year, shouldn't they be split between the two groups?

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
How are Canada, USA, Finland & Switzerland all in the same group for round robin play? These were the top 4 teams last year, shouldn't they be split between the two groups?

They have to do it that way to lessen the possibility of Canada and the US curbstomping everyone else. (even though that still happens).

Reactions: HabSgt

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe they essentially put the top 5 nations in group A and the bottom 5 in group B. Try to keep the blowout games to a minimum. All 5 teams in group A qualify for the Quarters regardless of how they do and then the top 3 teams in group B.

HabSgt

Go Habs D'OH
Oct 19, 2019
Montreal
They have to do it that way to lessen the possibility of Canada and the US curbstomping everyone else. (even though that still happens).
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe they essentially put the top 5 nations in group A and the bottom 5 in group B. Try to keep the blowout games to a minimum. All 5 teams in group A qualify for the Quarters regardless of how they do and then the top 3 teams in group B.
Thank you for the answers. :thumbu:

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Canada and Usa will play at the gold medal game and Finland gets bronze. Nothing really changes at this tournament so I´ll skip.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Canada and Usa will play at the gold medal game and Finland gets bronze. Nothing really changes at this tournament so I´ll skip.
Yeah, but which team gets Gold actually matters and the two countries have taken turns, each dominating for a decade. I'm hoping it's Canada's turn to dominate again with this latest generation. So far so good, but it's early. We're also down some key pieces at this tournament so it won't be easy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I was just looking this up. Thought it was messed up at first, then when I saw the playoffs it really makes sense. Gives the lower end teams a chance to actually get a W and not consistently blown out

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
4-1 Canada over Finland. Finns have been leveling up their women's hockey just like their men's.

Haven't been there in a few years - wonder if ringette is still a big sport in Finland. There were girls who were good skaters and very skilled playing that sport versus hockey a decade ago.

Reactions: HabSgt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad