Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Another year just looking forward to the draft

4ab.png

Reactions: Sheros expletives

ThePrideofStockholm

Sep 29, 2017
Stockholm
I really like Lekkerimaki, but so does everyone else. The kid is just a lethal goal-scorer. Ohgren is just a really safe pick for your middle six and he can produce offense, too. I expect him to go in the 25-35 range. Ostlund is a real wild-card. If he fills out a bit, he just has tremendous skill and speed, and I love his compete. But in the SHL, his (admirable) willingness to play bigger than he actually is can have him getting bounced around like a ping-pong ball, which makes me a bit nervous to use a first-round pick on him. I think Odelius is a huge wild card -- in my opinion he's blown away Salomonsson and Forsmark as the top Swedish D for the 2022 class. I really like this kid. Looking ar my preliminary rankings, I'll have Odelius in my first round, you can bet on it.
Its just amazing to me, who has not paid much attention to the prospects, but Björnfot, Holtz, Eklund, sundin, Zibanejad, Patrick Hörnqvist and so on. Hockey is not the most popular sport in Stockholm. For a hockey team to do well in sweden you need the town and sponsor to be behind you. The town of Stockholm do not care about her hockey teams but year after year Djurgården hockey produces new talents

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It's still early for me in terms of scouting but i'm starting to covet Slafkovsky's game. If he were right shooting it'd be a slam dunk for NJ i think.

The Devils really need wingers on either side. They now have three top centers to give weapons to. Bratt is a certainty, Holtz a near-certainty and Gritsyuk looking that way too. Despite his struggles this year, I feel Sharangovich has at least 25+ goal potential. But the Devils would greatly benefit from upgrading on players like Tatar, Kuokkanen, Johnsson, and Zacha.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Feels like we’re 20 years into the Habs looking for their future #1 center at the draft. Kinda funny they have to settle for Wright who isn’t drawing the usual First Overall Center comparisons.

Wright will be an outstanding NHL-er. If you go back and read my capsule of him on the 2022 draft thread, I predicted people would try to make a name for themselves by unfairly criticizing Wright. People do this crap every year.

A future top center duo of Wright and Suzuki would make the Habs the best team in that respect in the division, after only Barkov/Lundell in Florida and Point/Stamkos in Tampa.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Wright will be a solid player at the NHL level, just like Nico for us, but would I be pulling backflips if I were the Coyotes, Habs, Sens or Kraken… absolutely not.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
  1. NEW JERSEY DEVILS: RD David Jiricek, HK Plzen Czechia bereft of RD in the system, the Devils get a huge, physical two-way beast with a game polished beyond his years and a howitzer of a shot. Though the Devils are likely to be tempted to grab a top winger to pair with Hughes or Hischier, the lure of a future thunder and lightning dominant D duo of Luke Hughes and Jiricek proves too much to pass up upon.
  2. Buffalo: C Matt Savoie Winnipeg WHL like many teams at the top of the 2022 draft, Buffalo is heavily in the market for a #1 center for the future; Savoie is small at 5’9 but also represents a ridiculously skilled, high-compete package, currently dominating the WHL with his prolific scoring talents

Not that Jiricek wouldn't be tremendous for the team, but it would be so tough for me to leave Savoie on the table. Do you think he could be converted to wing?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
are you really want small playmaking winger with questionable two way game and not great skating?

No, I want Matt Savoie :laugh:

Seriously though, I've heard that concerns over his skating are overblown, and that he's a strong skater.

I agree that his small stature is not ideal, but when a talent like that is available I think you have to accept it.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Seriously though, I've heard that concerns over his skating are overblown, and that he's a strong skater.

I agree that his small stature is not ideal, but when a talent like that is available I think you have to accept it.

There are a lot of talents.
And Savoie is small future winger if he will play with the Devils. He is not the player who is small but play big. He is very talented, but top-6 with Hughes, Bratt, Holtz and Savoie is laughable. He isn`t grit, he isn`t well shooter, he isn`t good forecheker, he isn`t good two way forward.
He is very talented guy and I think with right partners he will productive NHL player, but this is not the way how you manage your team to package winning structure.

Ofcourse this is only my oppininion, but when I watchin actual Devils game, I don`t think the problem is a lack of small playmaking skilly winger.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Yea I think you guys don't have a very good understanding of the game if you think our issue is lack of a skilled playmaking winger (assuming savoie was converted to wing). Savoie isn't some can't miss mcdavid level.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Wright will be a solid player at the NHL level, just like Nico for us, but would I be pulling backflips if I were the Coyotes, Habs, Sens or Kraken… absolutely not.

Yes you would. Because Nico Hischier would be the #1 center now and for the foreseeable future for all four of those teams (give or take Seattle in the future because Beniers) -- and Wright offers all of Nico's two-way game but also adding the best shot in the entire 2022 draft. I would say that if Montreal or Arizona don't win the draft lottery (at least 1 or 2 pick), we're going to have to put their entire front offices on suicide watch. Missing out on both Wright and Cooley would be devastating to these teams.

Reactions: Guadana

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Not that Jiricek wouldn't be tremendous for the team, but it would be so tough for me to leave Savoie on the table. Do you think he could be converted to wing?

I love Savoie. But for my Devils wish list, he's not even in the top 10. He's just redundant to what the Devils have. If you leave him at center, he's a less talented Hughes type-player. If you move him to LW, he's a more talented Bratt-type player. He actually makes Hughes and Bratt look big by comparison. I'm not sure how that helps this team with its massive problem of having the weakest group of interior forwards in the entire conference. Savoie will be awesome, I just hope it's for Buffalo or Seattle.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Savoie's upside is not higher than Slafkovsky. I'd say it is higher than Yurov, but Yurov is the safest pick in the draft after only Wright, Cooley and Nemec. Personally? I'm just not drafting Savoie. The Devils need interior players up front, very very badly. I'd pass on Savoie for Slafkovsky or Yurov... or Nazar, or Gauthier or Perevalov or Chesley. He's just not even a top 10 consideration for me, as a Devils fan. I think he makes sense for pretty much any team in the top 10 except for NJ. He makes no sense at all here.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Lastly, I'd say that the idea that Savoie has more "upside" than Jiricek is a falsehood. Does Savoie have 80+ point upside? Yes. Does Jiricek? No. But Savoie will likely never be appreciably above average in any facet of the game except offense. Is an all-offense undersized forward more valuable that a shut-down, physical D who could post 15-30-45 number while being a force in all 200-feet of the ice? Not even close. Jiricek's upside is the closest thing we've seen to prime-era Dustin Byfuglien since Byfuglien. No way on earth I pass on that for a point-producer whose big question is lacking dimension, no matter how many points he produces.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Savoie's upside is not higher than Slafkovsky. I'd say it is higher than Yurov, but Yurov is the safest pick in the draft after only Wright, Cooley and Nemec. Personally? I'm just not drafting Savoie. The Devils need interior players up front, very very badly. I'd pass on Savoie for Slafkovsky or Yurov... or Nazar, or Gauthier or Perevalov or Chesley. He's just not even a top 10 consideration for me, as a Devils fan. I think he makes sense for pretty much any team in the top 10 except for NJ. He makes no sense at all here.

I definitely see the Devils needs differently. Who has game breaking skill up front aside from Bratt and Hughes? I don't think anyone does. I keep hearing about how the Devils have plenty of small, skilled playmaking wingers. But I only count one. I don't count Johnsson because to me he is just not a good player. Who else? Tatar? Again, not a good player.

Hischier is close, but I think he's more of a two way center that contributes offensively, he doesn't create match up problems the way Hughes and Bratt do.

If you feel that the other guys you mentioned, Slafkovsky, Yurov, et al. can offer Savoie's skill with a little more size and mass, I agree that they would be better options. It's just been my impression from what I've read that Savoie a little more skilled.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I definitely see the Devils needs differently. Who has game breaking skill up front aside from Bratt and Hughes? I don't think anyone does. I keep hearing about how the Devils have plenty of small, skilled playmaking wingers. But I only count one. I don't count Johnsson because to me he is just not a good player. Who else? Tatar? Again, not a good player.

Hischier is close, but I think he's more of a two way center that contributes offensively, he doesn't create match up problems the way Hughes and Bratt do.

If you feel that the other guys you mentioned, Slafkovsky, Yurov, et al. can offer Savoie's skill with a little more size and mass, I agree that they would be better options. It's just been my impression from what I've read that Savoie a little more skilled.

Nazar has game breaking skill to match Savoie and also has more more of an edge and a stronger game down low. Savoie needs space to succeed. Though I'd rank Savoie's "pure scoring upside" as slightly higher, Nazar is very close behind and helps you in various areas where Savoie does not. Or how about Slafkovsky, who might have more elite passing vision than Savoie and a 6'4 frame he likes to throw around? Again, I love Savoie for what he is, but for the Devils he's just not on my short list of forwards for the 2022 draft.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Yes you would. Because Nico Hischier would be the #1 center now and for the foreseeable future for all four of those teams (give or take Seattle in the future because Beniers) -- and Wright offers all of Nico's two-way game but also adding the best shot in the entire 2022 draft. I would say that if Montreal or Arizona don't win the draft lottery (at least 1 or 2 pick), we're going to have to put their entire front offices on suicide watch. Missing out on both Wright and Cooley would be devastating to these teams.

You’re right about Arizona and perhaps Ottawa but I don’t see Wright being better than Suzuki, who’s already an All-Star at the age of 22.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
You’re right about Arizona and perhaps Ottawa but I don’t see Wright being better than Suzuki, who’s already an All-Star at the age of 22.
He’s only an all-star because each team has a player.
He’s on a 17 goal 50 point pace this season. Those aren’t all star numbers at all and he isn’t that good.
Last season was better with a 22 goal 60 point pace and the season before that he had a 15 goal 47 point pace.

But Wright should without a doubt be better than Suzuki and he very likely will be. Suzuki is a good second line center. Wright should be a #1 center if he turns out as projected or close to it.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
He’s only an all-star because each team has a player.
He’s on a 17 goal 50 point pace this season. Those aren’t all star numbers at all and he isn’t that good.
Last season was better with a 22 goal 60 point pace and the season before that he had a 15 goal 47 point pace.

But Wright should without a doubt be better than Suzuki and he very likely will be. Suzuki is a good second line center. Wright should be a #1 center if he turns out as projected or close to it.

You apparently missed his coming out party during the playoffs last year and his stats are shit this year because the Habs are a complete mess, not because he’s no good.

When you’ve been in the CHL as young as the age of 16 and you’re the 4th best point producer on your team heading into your draft year, I’m sorry but that doesn’t scream "top line center" to me. He was also a ghost in the small sample size that was the WJC for team Canada and his compete level has been put into question by several scouts since the start of the season.

All in all, Shane Wright is by ne means a slam dunk to pivot anyones 1st line at the NHL level.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Agree to disagree. I love Suzuki, but you are grossly underselling Shane Wright. He plays two-way hockey like a Bergeron at the same age, he shoots like Stamkos at the same age. His upside is absolutely immense.

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
You apparently missed his coming out party during the playoffs last year and his stats are shit this year because the Habs are a complete mess, not because he’s no good.

When you’ve been in the CHL as young as the age of 16 and you’re the 4th best point producer on your team heading into your draft year, I’m sorry but that doesn’t scream "top line center" to me. He was also a ghost in the small sample size that was the WJC for team Canada and his compete level has been put into question by several scouts since the start of the season.

All in all, Shane Wright is by ne means a slam dunk to pivot anyones 1st line at the NHL level.
I didn’t miss his huge 16 point in 22 game coming out party that completely changed his outlook and potential as a player. I also never said Suzuki was no good. He’s not an all-star.

On the topic of Wright. Production wise he hasn’t done as well as people would’ve hoped but is numbers are still very good for a 17 just turner 18 year old in the OHL and he’s the third best point producer on his team if you want to be exact with the 2nd guy like 1 point ahead. And I could care less that he came into the OHL a season early, they didn’t even play any games last season. And yes he didn’t light the world on fire in the 2 World Junior games he played against older competition nor has he this season in the OHL but he’s still been very good and he has a great skillset. The fact that he made a powerhouse Canadian Word junior team as their 2nd line center is a testament to how good he is on his own even if he wasn’t that noticeable in the first 2 games. Against kids mostly a year older in the summer he put up 9 goals and 14 points in 5 games and was absolutely dominant. He’s not Connor Mcdavid and he hasn’t met the high expectations of him this season but by all means he is still an elite prospect and worthy number 1 pick who has the potential to be an elite #1 C for the team that takes him for a long time and he will very likely be better than Suzuki.

Suzuki didn’t play in the World Juniors until he was 19 (2 years after Wright) where he put up 3 assist in games.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

@DevilsfanfromCanada never said Suzuki was "no good". He actually said Suzuki would be a very good 2C behind Shane Wright were the Canadiens lucky enough to win the 2022 lottery. @DevilsfanfromCanada is very knowledgeable and not a person who would insult a player of Suzuki's obvious quality.

Shane Wright played 25 minutes total in this year's WJC. This is not a sample we can judge him on. In his last major tourney -- last year's IIHF U-18s -- Wright won MVP of the tourney with a dominant performance. Watch tape of that tourney and you will see the slam dunk #1 overall pick for 2022 dominating his peer group in all facets of the game.

Reactions: My3Sons

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Agree to disagree. I love Suzuki, but you are grossly underselling Shane Wright. He plays two-way hockey like a Bergeron at the same age, he shoots like Stamkos at the same age. His upside is absolutely immense.

Like you said, we’ll agree to disagree and a big portion of the scouting community are starting to have serious concerns about his game translating to one of a #1 center at the NHL level.

For someone who values compete level to the highest degree possible, Shane’s compete level has raised concerns in his draft year. If is name was Shane Wrightovsky, I think his stock would be falling right about now.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Like you said, we’ll agree to disagree and a big portion of the scouting community are starting to have serious concerns about his game translating to one of a #1 center at the NHL level.

For someone who values compete level to the highest degree possible, Shane’s compete level has raised concerns in his draft year. If is name was Shane Wrightovsky, I think his stock would be falling right about now.
Who exactly is questioning his compete?
I have absolutely no problem with is compete and thinks that’s just silly. He battles hard, plays the game the right way, wins his battles and is responsible defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad