Blue Jays GDT: 2022 v3 | Next: Sun, May 1 | vs HOU | 1:30pm ET/10:30am PT | Valdez vs Gausman

Status
Not open for further replies.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Where do you draw the line? Tucker isn’t the first (and won’t be the last) above average batter to be on a hot streak.

that's up to the manager but it should be a option when a guy is seeing the ball the way he has. i just think its a part of the game, we could use more effectively . but everyone's got a different view and opinion on the matter

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Just finishing the game. That catch by Springer wow. I was sure that was going to drop

Literally said to my buddy at work before the Bo HR, "Just hit a HR Bo, it can't be that hard"

No series losses yet. Got a bad feeling that's going to end with Stripling and Kikuchi going in the Yankee series but at least we miss Cole. They're due to lose a game eventually right?

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Springer came up huge this weekend vs his former team.

Saturday he hit 2 HRs which were the lone runs for the Jays' win

Today he beat out a groundball that would've been a DP and that gave Bo the chance to hit that HR and of course that incredible catch in the 9th
Post automatically merged:

Just finishing the game. That catch by Springer wow. I was sure that was going to drop

Literally said to my buddy at work before the Bo HR, "Just hit a HR Bo, it can't be that hard"

No series losses yet. Got a bad feeling that's going to end with Stripling and Kikuchi going in the Yankee series but at least we miss Cole. They're due to lose a game eventually right?
Stripling's actually been decent as a starter. Pitched well vs A's & Red Sox and kept the Jays in a game where they were playing Verlander. Kikuchi needs to be better though

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Kikuchi looks like Ray did his first two months here after the trade. Hard velocity, but lacking command and getting hit hard.

It took Walker a few months to fix that (plus a whole offseason).

Hopefully he can work the same miracle this time, only faster.

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
Phew! Turned off the game just in time. The number of times I've seen them blow a save...let's just say I've watched only one save attempt this year. Guess which one?

This win percentage against the level of competition they're playing while the team is lacking so many good players during a slow time of year...yowza. I guessed the team would win around 95 this year, but my gut feeling was telling me it would be more like well above 100 wins, like 110. Turns out I probably should have listened to my gut.

It took Walker a few months to fix that (plus a whole offseason). Hopefully he can work the same miracle this time, only faster.
Given his "miracles" seem to be limited to former all-stars and/or pitchers with elite stuff, who were probably going to figure it out anyway, I doubt it. I'd rather be wrong, though.

Right before Bo hit his home run and they showed footage of him freaking out on the bench, I thought "Maybe if you didn't keep swinging at pitches in the dirt, you wouldn't be so angry". I know he CAN routinely foul off those pitches, which is damn amazing, but still...just take the walk.

At least the home run pitch wasn't in the dirt.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Phew! Turned off the game just in time. The number of times I've seen them blow a save...let's just say I've watched only one save attempt this year. Guess which one?

Given his "miracles" seem to be limited to former all-stars and/or pitchers with elite stuff, who were probably going to figure it out anyway, I doubt it. I'd rather be wrong, though.

Right before Bo hit his home run and they showed footage of him freaking out on the bench, I thought "Maybe if you didn't keep swinging at pitches in the dirt, you wouldn't be so angry". I know he CAN routinely foul off those pitches, which is damn amazing, but still...just take the walk.

At least the home run pitch wasn't in the dirt.
Technically Kikuchi is a former all-star ;)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Springer came up huge this weekend vs his former team.

Saturday he hit 2 HRs which were the lone runs for the Jays' win

Today he beat out a groundball that would've been a DP and that gave Bo the chance to hit that HR and of course that incredible catch in the 9th
Post automatically merged:

Stripling's actually been decent as a starter. Pitched well vs A's & Red Sox and kept the Jays in a game where they were playing Verlander. Kikuchi needs to be better though

The problem is Stripling's pretty much not allowed to go through the order a 3rd time. Which isn't an issue, it's probably the right decision, but that usually means Thornton regardless and all the bad relievers if we're losing. It's how we got pounded last time despite him leaving in a 1-1 game. Perhaps that changes with 2 guys having to be sent down before tomorrow's game though.

why does montoya refuse to intentionally walk someone that is on a heater

last year it was the ray player this year tucker cant miss anything the jays pitch

I don't think you should be putting the tying run on base in the top of the 9th and the go ahead run to the plate with Brgeman pinch hitting for the next batter regardless of who it is. If he hits a HR then oh well but I think you significantly increase your odds of giving up both the tying and go ahead run by doing so

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

I like Stripling to match if not beat Montgomery. And then Manoah for game 2. Win those two and then we can afford to punt the Kikuchi game lol

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
All these 1 run wins may come back to haunt them when fortune evens out. I remember 7 or 8 years ago Baltimore was in 1st place for much of the season, but their run differential was terrible, but because they won so many close games it didn't matter. The last 2 months their fortune ran out, I hope that this isn't what will happen to the Blue Jays.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
All these 1 run wins may come back to haunt them when fortune evens out. I remember 7 or 8 years ago Baltimore was in 1st place for much of the season, but their run differential was terrible, but because they won so many close games it didn't matter. The last 2 months their fortune ran out, I hope that this isn't what will happen to the Blue Jays.

Didn't we trade you to Oakland :sarcasm:

Past wins can't come back to haunt you. Yes if we continue with this kind of run production and prevention we should expect a much worse record. If we do this in September and October we're probably going to split games. But we've played an unbelievably tough schedule without Teo and Jansen and Biggio has been completely useless and Bo has been very bad. Given all those factors a 12-11 record(our pythag record) would actually be pretty decent. The fact we have 3 more wins than that is a lucky gift I'll take because our actual performance will get better while our schedule will get easier

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
All these 1 run wins may come back to haunt them when fortune evens out. I remember 7 or 8 years ago Baltimore was in 1st place for much of the season, but their run differential was terrible
I don't remember the details of that season, but I don't think it will be an issue for the Jays. I vaguely remember the Orioles overperforming that year while this year the Jays are actually UNDERperforming so far. Their offense is way below where it should be, they're lacking a bunch of key players, and there are a few pitchers who will likely pitch a lot closer to career norms when they get back on track. Some of them haven't even pitched yet.

In other words, the Jays are currently putting up a 650 winning percentage on the backs of a goodly number of depth players against all of last year's best teams, and it's only going to get easier (barring injury, of course). Usually you're just happy if they can play 500 during a stretch like this.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Very simply would much rather be overperforming my pythag than underperforming it. Run differential doesn't get you in the playoffs.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
The difference is that these Jays are an elite team scuffling now and missing several good players.But, they’ve also had a pretty tough schedule. If anything, they’re going to keep winning with a bigger run differential.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Soon as Hernandez is back our order gets much better. Vlad is getting nothing to hit right now and Gurriel is much better suited to the 5-6 spot than 4. Were winning the hard games with depleted team can't wait til healthy and schedule lightens up !

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
e268f78b-7414-4440-b4e0-1768c12e928a_text.gif

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Getting by with Kirk, but how many more games do we have to endure.

How can a catcher sit and call that ninth inning? What the heck happened there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad