Blue Jays GDT: 2022 v2 | Thu, Apr 21 | @ BOS | 1:30pm ET/10:30am PT | Gausman vs Houck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We should probably stop reaggravating Springer’s injuries like what happened last year.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Well I'll be the first one to admit I wasn't sold on Gausman when we signed him because his latter half of 2021 was notably weaker than his first half. He has been a breath of air and his splitter is a work of art.

His 2nd half troubles were greatly exaggerated. Even taking into account his command problems in July (a complete mirage for Gausman), and a 3 HR game in September, he still had solid peripherals.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
His 2nd half troubles were greatly exaggerated. Even taking into account his command problems in July (a complete mirage for Gausman), and a 3 HR game in September, he still had solid peripherals.
I wasn't worried about signing him, I just wasn't convinced he could replace what Ray did for us. I thought during his second half he was starting to catch a bit too much of the plate. Now Gausman is just rolling and Ray is showing some really worrying signs with his velocity dropping.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It still kinda makes me laugh. I know hitting isn't easy by any means but Gausman almost never throws the Splitter in the zone..especially when he's looking to put guys away.

For whatever reason teams haven't caught on to this and they still keep trying to hack at it.

Definitely not complaining, by all means keep swinging lol. Just found it interesting

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
It still kinda makes me laugh. I know hitting isn't easy by any means but Gausman almost never throws the Splitter in the zone..especially when he's looking to put guys away.

For whatever reason teams haven't caught on to this and they still keep trying to hack at it.

Definitely not complaining, by all means keep swinging lol. Just found it interesting

Reminds me of Halladay. If you had 2 strikes, you knew the cutter was coming. If you were a right handed hitter that cutter was coming down and away and there is nothing you can do. It will be a swing and it will be a miss.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

They hack at it because they think it's the fastball and don't recognize the pitch until it's too late no? Same reason people hack at most curveballs. It's not as easy as instantly knowing the pitch is a splitter and deciding not to swing because it's usually not a strike.

I guess they could guess it's the split and let it go but when it's the fastball and there's 2 strikes they're out.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
They hack at it because they think it's the fastball and don't recognize the pitch until it's too late no? Same reason people hack at most curveballs. It's not as easy as instantly knowing the pitch is a splitter and deciding not to swing because it's usually not a strike.

I guess they could guess it's the split and let it go but when it's the fastball and there's 2 strikes they're out.
This. By the time they realize its a splitter they're already swinging.

Reactions: Waveburner
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

I can tell you that from playing MLB the Show, the splitter is by far the most annoying pitch to hit. It always looks like a damn fastball in the zone and I end up whiffing or hitting it really softly

I definitely understand why they keep hacking at it lol

Reactions: Forgotusername

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I can tell you that from playing MLB the Show, the splitter is by far the most annoying pitch to hit. It always looks like a damn fastball in the zone and I end up whiffing or hitting it really softly

I definitely understand why they keep hacking at it lol

I was gonna say my post is coming from a douchecanoe who forgot how to stop swinging at changeups out of the zone between 21 and 22 releasing so maybe I'm not the best judge of plate tendency lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad